Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping position

(9 Posts)
ddegville Mon 16-Oct-17 07:21:52

Hi all.

So i know when you reach the second trimester you should sleep on your side preferably the left side. I went out this weekend and brought a dreamgeni as after reading reviews this seemed the best pregnancy pillow. I'm now 17+3 so thought it best to start sleeping on my left side, I'm usually a back sleeper. Last night was my 2nd night trying side sleeping and i wake up feeling untested and back aching. I just hate sleeping on my left side, right is slightly more comfy but still not good. Is it really bad to keep sleeping on my back? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Dannie

ScotsLamb Mon 16-Oct-17 07:24:38

I think new advice is aleep how you are comfortable and your body will change position if it needs to. I'm right side, left side and back sleeping every night at 30 weeks. Baby seems happiest when I'm on my left or back. My body doesn't spend that much time on the right before rolling over.

Lozmatoz Mon 16-Oct-17 07:42:11

Sleep however you want! As you get bigger, you might want to change your position.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:48:19

I sleep on both sides but lately seems to my be right side. It won't cause any harm if you don't sleep on the left

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Mon 16-Oct-17 09:49:59

Literally just sleep however you're comfortable, it honestly doesn't matter at all.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 16-Oct-17 10:23:10

I found sleeping on my left side incredibly uncomfortable until around 26 weeks I think. My midwife says that your body will wake you up if you're in a bad position for the baby and you should sleep however you're comfortable. At 30 weeks sleeping on left or right side is much more comfortable for me than on my back.

mindutopia Mon 16-Oct-17 10:28:17

Just listen to your body. If sleeping on your back is uncomfortable, then sleep on your side. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it until it is. The research on sleep positioning is not very convincing and there is no evidence that back sleeping causes any poor outcomes. It's just an association. The same study found that taking a nap during the day (even on your side) is similarly associated with a slight increased risk of stillbirth (but this is only after 32 weeks). Plenty of pregnant ladies nap especially late in pregnancy. More than likely all of these things are associated with something else entirely (having pre-eclampsia, for example) and that's what actually causes the slight increase in stillbirth. It will get easier to sleep on your side, but if it's not comfortable now I wouldn't force it.

DeadDoorpost Mon 16-Oct-17 11:12:58

I slept on my front up til about 2 weeks ago.. . Now 35 weeks and having to sleep on my right side to get baby to shift (his head is in my hip and midwives told me to try). I always wake up on my left side or back though and haven't bothered with a pregnancy pillow, just some big fluffy ones from the spare bed that no-one ever sleeps in.

LadyRenoir Mon 16-Oct-17 19:51:25

I think this is something you may get used to.
I usually roll around a lot and used to sleep on side/almost on my stomach. At 25 weeks, unfortunately this is impossible.
I got a super cool sleeping pillow and actually sleeping on my side does not seem to be an issue, although it took a few days to adjust. Actually, I think sticking a normal pillow between my legs would work just as well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now