Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Doppler or not.

(17 Posts)
CinnamonAndSpice Sun 15-Oct-17 20:27:59

So lots of mixed reviews on this sort of thing.
It's not something I'd ever thought to ever buy.. However I have just been offered one for free by a friend.. Now do I accept it or politely say no thanks. Some people day how lovely they are. Other say can cause unnecessary worry.
And as I've said before I don't tend t to worry or get paranoid as never had a situation where I would. But the again this possibly could?

Anotherdayanotherdollar Sun 15-Oct-17 20:31:15

Are you trained to use it properly?

seven201 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:31:49

I wouldn't.

owltrousers Sun 15-Oct-17 20:31:56

I personally wouldn't, I think they can cause you to worry unnecessarily and using them untrained is a bit like guesswork.

CinnamonAndSpice Sun 15-Oct-17 20:33:19

No that's the other thing. I wouldn't have a clue what I'm trying to hear... Well as in if it's the babys HB or blood flow or. My own lol

Thats definitely answered it for me
I'll message her in a bit and explain I wouldn't use it and to maybe donate it elsewhere

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:42:35

I used one before I could feel her move, I had crazy pregnancy anxiety, it really helped calm the panic attacks even if it wasn't the heartbeat I could hear etc. I stopped using it once I could feel her and just relied on movements (I got induced due to reduced movements and never used it once).

AnUtterIdiot Sun 15-Oct-17 20:45:12

Don't. I really wouldn't. I would spend all my time glued to it, for a start. And they say that you risk either mistaking your own heartbeat or the placenta for the twins, or assuming everything's fine because you've got a heartbeat after, say, reduced movements, and not going in when you need to.

You really do need a lot of training to use one. My midwife had a trainee in with her who had a go at using it. The qualified midwife had to take command of the Doppler after five VERY fraught minutes of no heartbeat (ended when midwife said "Well, I heard one of them a minute ago so let me see if I can find them).

Best left, seriously, it's just another thing to worry about.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 15-Oct-17 20:45:32

Oh sorry, I said "for the twins" because I'm having twins so apparently I now just assume everyone is grin

CinnamonAndSpice Sun 15-Oct-17 20:49:11

Thank you for the good advice x

1stX Sun 15-Oct-17 21:02:05

My midwife advised against it. She said there were instances of people thinking they'd picked up the heartbeat and assuming things were ok when the baby had died. I'd leave it to the professionals. If you get worried about your baby speak to the midwife x

Owl1011 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:14:28

I got offered one by a friend and turned it down straight away. I think most healthcare professionals are against home use as it causes more worry than reassurance. I agree with a previous poster, if you're worried about baby the midwives would rather you contact them directly smile

lollipop7 Sun 15-Oct-17 22:50:25

No.
They are gimmick at best a potentially tragic misdiagnosis of reassurance at worst.

Leave them well alone

wobblywonderwoman Sun 15-Oct-17 22:52:45

I am going to admit I loved mine. But I think I would say don't go for it.
There is new talk of them being banned. Also I think you can be reassured because heartbeat sounds OK and we are not the experts.

Not trying to frighten you but think I wouldn't knowing now that I could have put baby at risk.

Mummyme87 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:36:02

Yes there is a huge campaign to ban these and it has just gone through parliament.

You are not trained, don’t do it. They can be falsely reassuring

ClaireBear1986 Mon 16-Oct-17 08:32:07

NOOOOO!!!

I was unsure, like you, and in the end decided to buy Angel Sounds for £50 as I had heard good and bad reviews.

I was so excited to hear the heartbeat (I was 12 weeks, and instructions said I would find the heartbeat at this stage)
I spent the whole weekend trying to find the heartbeat. I couldn't find it at all.
Ended up having a huge breakdown, crying my eyes out, convincing myself something had happened and almost booked another private scan just to put my mind at rest.

I had my scan booked in for the Wed luckily, and thank god, the heartbeat was strong.

Turns out I have a curved womb, and so chances of getting the heartbeat on a doppler was close to impossible.
They advised me at the hospital to throw it away, as they cause so much worry and stress.
She said it can be very difficult to find the heartbeat if untrained, and this is why they strongly recommend not to get one.

My advise would be listen to the Midwifes, and DO NOT buy one. It honestly caused me the most upsetting and stressful weekend of my life!!

Loosemoose28 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:11:34

Here is why It is advised against using home dopplers...

www.kickscount.org.uk/vickis-story-want-see-home-dopplers-banned/

CinnamonAndSpice Mon 16-Oct-17 23:19:37

Thanks. I have said no. Glad I did x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now