Talk

Advanced search

Heartburn, indigestion, gas... Help

(22 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 11:24:30

Any remedies?

I've tried milk, lying in a slightly raised position and sipping cool water but nothing completely shifts this gassy, cool feeling in my chest (slightly to left under my breast)

Been progressively getting worse over past week, and has started waking me from my sleep.

Some things I've tried do improve the discomfort but I feel that it never truly goes away.

Cracklesfire Sun 15-Oct-17 11:35:35

Lying on your left side with knees up can help with digestion and gas. I use camomile tea and a hot water bottle too. Last pregnancy I had horrendous reflux & indigestion in third trimester but this time I can feel it starting in second. If it gets worse I'll see GP for a PPI. Avoiding fruit juice/greasy food/rich food definitely helps me but everybody's got different triggers. Its the worst!

Chipsahoy Sun 15-Oct-17 11:46:07

Gaviscon is your friend..

MagicFajita Sun 15-Oct-17 11:47:47

Yep. Gaviscon and eating little and often.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 12:38:57

I never appreciated how uncomfortable it could be.

Milk just makes me burp!

dementedpixie Sun 15-Oct-17 12:40:56

I ate Rennies and my sister drank bottles of gaviscon. Have you asked your gp/ midwife what they recommend

Foggymist Sun 15-Oct-17 12:48:50

Milk makes heartburn/indigestion worse for some people so avoid that. Try Gaviscon?

OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 12:50:33

Gaviscon makes me retch. It's not pleasant.

My DP suggested the milk as it soothes his heartburn

Foggymist Sun 15-Oct-17 13:04:17

Yeah I hate Gaviscon, only in serious desperation, I rely on Rennies, ice water and general misery. Like I said milk helps some but not others. If it's bad your gp can prescribe something, mine is manageable with Rennies, ice water and eating quite little at a time so I haven't resorted to that yet.

MotherOfBeagles Sun 15-Oct-17 13:08:28

Frequent small meals/snacks rather than 3 big ones. Suck on mint. Try not to drink too much water as it can aggravate it. Make sure wearing loose comfortable clothing (my bra aggravated it so much took me ages to figure that out). Get to your GP and ask for peppermint gaviscon instead of anaseed - still vile but better than nothing.

Dodge any citrus foods, tomato based, onion based, garlic or chocolate. All known to aggravate it. I’ve lived of mash and gravy for months I swear.

Also if not helping then push doctor for better meds. I’ve nagged and nagged my gp for more help and they kept brushing me off. But when I went to the obs at 36 weeks and had only gained 2kg since the beginning of my pregnancy she asked why. I haven’t been able to eat properly because of heartburn and no one was helping me. She instantly gave me 6 week prescription for renitidine (neutralises stomach acids before it becomes heartburn) which has been amazing. If I get pregnant and heartburn again in the future I’m not taking no for an answer. So don’t be afraid to push your doctor for more than just anti-acids there is more they can do!

meltingmarshmallows Sun 15-Oct-17 13:32:38

The first gaviscon I got tasted like sambuca envy

But I got a mint one which is slightly less disgusting and it has been a life saver!

Usernamegone Sun 15-Oct-17 13:40:43

Mint gaviscon is less disgusting than the aniseed one I find.

I find exercise such as yoga or bodybalence helps jiggle everything round and results in lots of burping and farting which releaves some of the pressure shockshockshock

Also saw my GP who prescribed omeprazole and it worked wonders for my heartburn smile

Fucky Sun 15-Oct-17 13:40:47

You can buy ranitidine over the counter either branded as Zantac or generic

Kannet Sun 15-Oct-17 13:44:42

A friend of mine swore by almonds. She said it was a miracle cure

OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 19:26:14

Anyone tried Tums ?

ijustwannadance Sun 15-Oct-17 19:31:19

I have the supermarket own brand tums (they were half the price of tums)

They are ok. I take 2 before bed with a bit of milk. Can only take up to 7 a day though.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 19:38:10

Would you say they work well?

I've found Gsviscon tablets that I might try. I've been uncomfortable and off food all day because of it

Poppyscot87 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:52:48

Tums are my go to... He rest make me gag. Hope it settles, such a horrible feeling!

OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 19:59:18

Think now it's added to with frustration... It's been all day with little break. Driving me crazy, but I guess my worry of it being more serious is at rest now... Anything serious would have flagged up by now!

thedinosaur Sun 15-Oct-17 20:11:36

I get really bad heartburn to the point I get weird horrible foamy saliva come up (sorry TMI) .
I actually asked for a phone consultation with GP and she prescribed me some special heartburn stuff - not sure what it is as haven't picked it up yet but she said it keeps it at bay for up to 12h !

Might be worth checking with them.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 15-Oct-17 21:56:28

A diet lacking in iodine is something that can cause excessive heartburn according to Dr Myhill..

www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Iodine_-_what_is_the_correct_daily_dose%3F

OnNaturesCourse Sun 15-Oct-17 22:30:44

Interesting, I'll give that a good read tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now