Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

TENS machine?

(24 Posts)
ethelfleda Sun 15-Oct-17 07:44:42

Hi everyone
I'm 36 weeks today and deliberating over whether to buy/rent a TENS machine? How effective are they?
Thank you

Miloarmadillo1 Sun 15-Oct-17 07:49:38

I found it very effective, three labours got to fully dilated with TENS then a bit of gas and air for the pushing stage. However I know other people who hated it, and you are not really going to know which camp you are in until the day. You can buy one for about the same cost as renting and then resell it afterwards - they have disposable sticky pads which need replacing (for approx £10) but the unit can be reused by another person. If you do use one, put it on early, as soon as you are getting contractions even if they are not that painful, it takes time to work. Good luck!

BowlingShoes Sun 15-Oct-17 07:53:28

Completely worth it. Got me through the early labour at home well. I feel all my contractions in my back though, so not sure if that's why I particularly liked it.

poppl Sun 15-Oct-17 07:56:23

I had one but labor was short and brutal. It didn’t come out of the bag.

Ekphrasis Sun 15-Oct-17 07:56:52

I think I would have found it helpful but I never got the chance as I was induced at 42 weeks. However, I wish I’d bought one as it would have helped enormously with my back issues post baby!

Loosemoose28 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:53:56

I cant get through my periods without one.
Will definately want one for labour.

mindutopia Sun 15-Oct-17 09:19:03

Yes, get one. I had a home birth with my first and it was pretty much the only pain relief I used (other than I'd done natal hypnotherapy in preparation). It really helped and I felt generally pretty comfortable until I started to push (and took it off because it was in the way). The key like someone said is to put it on early. It takes about 2 hours for it to encourage your body to build up endorphins, so put it on when you're still comfortable. I put mine on when I was having strong period type cramps but not yet actual contractions.

I hired the Mamatens from Tesco pharmacy if that's helpful.

Sakura03 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:38:59

I hope you don’t mind me crashing your thread ethelfleda but which brand did you guys buy if you purchased your own. Has anyone got the boots one?

Crumbs1 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:42:39

I had one for first labour but ended up hurling it at my husband who kept telling me to breathe and press the button. It just became an irritant - but in fairness I had a shoulder dystocia that wasn't progressing so it might be better with more straightforward labour.

ethelfleda Sun 15-Oct-17 20:14:51

Sakura not at all - I was just looking at that myself! And rent or buy?? Looks like there are some good rental options on boots website but would it be better just to buy one from Amazon??

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Sun 15-Oct-17 20:19:59

I rented mine and it really helped once I was in proper labour. I was extremely reluctant to take it off in order to get in the birth pool.

Its kind of an odd sensation and not everyone likes it but it got me to 8cm with nothing else so I'm a fan.

anotherdayanotherdinner Sun 15-Oct-17 20:22:31

Yes hire one!! I would have been lost without mine it literally was the best thing I had during labour. There are a few companies you can hire from online. I think you can have them a month. Make sure you've got spare batteries though

Kraggle Sun 15-Oct-17 20:23:08

Get one! 1st labour I rented one from hospital prior to my birth. Felt it was more of a distraction rather than good for pain relief. Second time round I decided not to bother but as I was in a lot of pain early on the midwife went and found one for me and it did help (but so did dh rubbing my back before they found one!)

Prusik Sun 15-Oct-17 20:24:15

I bought a mama tens from Argos. Absolutely loved it. Wore it from the beginning up to 7cm at which point I got in the pool

Padfoot1 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:27:32

Definitely use one highly recommended. I got to 8cm then used gas and air. Bought mine off eBay mama tens - just check if you also need spare pads they're cheaper on Amazon. It has a boost button for when the contractions get worse

ethelfleda Sun 15-Oct-17 20:38:00

Thank you everyone - have just arranged to rent a Mama tens!
Now to find something to help with this back ache/rib ache/vagina ache/heartburn/exhaustion grin

Sakura03 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:11:04

ethelfleda where are you hiring from?

ethelfleda Sun 15-Oct-17 21:42:03

sakura from Boots - arranged it through their website:

www.bootsmaternityrentalproducts.co.uk/product.php?pid=MamaTENS-Rental--11

Sakura03 Sun 15-Oct-17 22:03:07

Thank you ethelfleda. I’m 36 weeks tomorrow with my first.

annlee3817 Sun 15-Oct-17 22:09:43

I wish I had bought one instead of renting, I didn't even take it out of the box as when my contractions started there were straight away 2-3 mins apart, I was so focused on that, that I forgot I had the Tens. Had I bought one I might have got some of my money back.

Notlostjustexploring Sun 15-Oct-17 22:20:50

I had one and found it brilliant! I was very dubious but it definitely worked and for me, it was far better at taking the edge off the pain than gas and air. I was also induced so wore it for 15 hours or so, and it helped me sleep during early labour while stuck on a ward. I also became very adamant that they were only taking it off me when I was getting an epidural (also loved that, that is gold star pain relief!).

I bought one, and it has come with the added bonus of helping with lower back pains and problems that pregnancy caused.

Sakura03 Sun 22-Oct-17 23:04:12

I’ve just put an order in to hire the mama tens, have you received yours yet ethelfleda?

Lozmatoz Mon 23-Oct-17 19:33:01

are the machines all pretty much the same or does it depend on quality?

bettydraper31 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:51:54

Does it help with back pain throughout pregnancy? Or is it really only advised to be used during labour? Thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now