Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Csection anxiety

(16 Posts)
Cat1980uk Sat 14-Oct-17 21:36:37

So I am finally going to meet my little miracle baby this week after a long stressful worrying pregnancy. I cannot wait to hold him in my arms and get that first cuddle. I am having a csection partly due to my gestational diabetes. I had my 2 days of steroids this week as he is being born at 38 weeks. My anxiety is now kicking in as it's getting close. Partly because I have never been in hospital before, partly the fact I am having surgery awake and scared of something going wrong so I'm not well enough to see my baby but mainly I guess the recovery. I don't have a lot of help, infact all I have is my Mum and she's not well herself so a lot I will be doing alone as I can't put on her to much. Does anyone have any advice? Or any words of comfort that sections aren't as bad as I am building up in my mind? Guess it's the case of the unknown. I cannot wait to have him safe in my arms and finally get to know my little man after being told I would never be a Mum and I was told this pregnancy wasn't going to continue in the early days which was so tough. I love him so much I've just got so many emotions going through me right now x

2014newme Sat 14-Oct-17 21:39:15

Don't be scared c section brilliant, so calm. I didn't feel a thing. Good luck
Do you have a partner to help at all Or Just mum?

Wowzel Sat 14-Oct-17 21:40:34

I had an emergency section, the bit leading up to it was brutal and then I ended up with a section anyway!

The section itself was fine - I went into theatre, they topped up my epidural, I was given the choice about whether I got to see the baby come out, I was able to get up and walk as soon as the epidural wore off (although I couldn't change my own knickers and the midwife found me with them stuck round my ankles!)

It won't be as bad as you think.

eyeoresancerre Sat 14-Oct-17 21:41:38

Fantastic news, you must be so excited. Perfectly natural to have nerves. Just remember the surgeons do c sections all the time. It's an odd sensation but everyone was very lovely when I had mine.
I recovered quite quickly and was up and about going to the shops after about a week but everyone is different. I could pick up my son fairly easily. I was driving after 3.5 weeks and I had no family around to help.
Just go at your own pace. Get food shop delivered, take away if money allows it every so

eyeoresancerre Sat 14-Oct-17 21:43:12

So often. I think I ordered the same dish x3 a week for the 1st month. But really do whatever you can and screw the rest of it. You'll be great!

Alexindisguise Sat 14-Oct-17 21:43:38

You will be in more control with a planned c-section, mine was unplanned and under ga but it was still a positive experience. Knowing when and where you will be having your baby has so many positives. You will be fine honestly. Not long to go now until you meet your boy.

Stay in hospital as long as you can, I got lots of support whilst in there, which made the early days less daunting.

Cat1980uk Sat 14-Oct-17 21:53:33

Thank you everyone smile I cannot wait to get him in my arms, I just want him here now and the operation over so I can just focus on the best part instead of the nerves! I've been told if straightforward I'll be discharged and home after 48 hours so that's partly scary partly good lol. I have only my Mum as my baby was conceived via a sperm donor so I am doing it alone but omg is he so so wanted and so so loved from the second I saw those 2 lines xx

Laquila Sat 14-Oct-17 21:56:05

You'll get loads of c-section vets on here telling you not to worry, and they're right!

I've had one EMCS and one ELCS, and I thought they were both bloody brilliant, for different reasons. In short, it's completely natural to be apprehensive but the vast majority of planned sections go very smoothly. Fear of the unknown is totally normal, and it's a different kind of fear to that around vaginal birth, but all I can say is that I I was incredibly grateful after my EMCS that some clever bigger had invented caesareans, and that I knew immediately after that I'd have a section again for any subsequent births.

Cat1980uk Sat 14-Oct-17 22:04:55

Laquila thank you so much! It's really reassuring that those who have had them aren't put off having anymore x

Laquila Sat 14-Oct-17 22:09:22

Oh God I'd have another in a heartbeat! The best advice I can give you recovery-wise is try to take it slowly and rest whilst also staying active, if that makes sense - you need smallish, gentle movement that doesn't tire you out but stops you from seizing up. The hardest thing for me the first time round was standing up straight the next day! (birth was at 10pm)

Good luck and let us know how it all goes smile

snackarella Sat 14-Oct-17 22:22:12

I've had one emergency and due to have one planned.
Recovery can be slow and fairly painful but newborns don't need you to move much.
While you have help get nappies and wipes in a few different rooms so you don't have to run around hunting for them and take it easy.
You'll be fine - and within 6 weeks almost back to normal in terms of moving about day to day. Enjoy it and congrats xz

HashiAsLarry Sat 14-Oct-17 22:27:16

I second the multiple areas of supplies, though just in general after childbirth grin

I had both emergency and elective and the elective was far better, far calmer. You'll be fine. Good luck with it all and enjoy all the cuddles.

LadyPug Sat 14-Oct-17 23:01:44

Hey op, I’m also terrified but it’s going to be fine. I’ve actually had a c section (emergency) and it was fine - and I’m needle phobic, hospital phobic and faint at blood! If I can do it anyone can do it. I had 15 hours of the worst labour followed by the section and suddenly dd was here and nothing else mattered. This time elc looks like it’s on the cards and I’m even more nervous! But like everyone said it’s calmer and better (it’s just for me I can’t bear the thought of walking into a hospital for an op!) It’s only like twenty mins from anaesthetic going in to baby in your arms, it’s the most amazing thing in the world! Cherish your gorgeous ds!

SecretLifeOfSam Sat 14-Oct-17 23:09:33

I had a section recently, and can honestly tell you I had no pain during recovery at all - not exaggerating!! I had read all the articles and forums and taken in the peppermint tea for trapped wind, etc. but didn't touch any of it. Didn't take my meds afterwards either grin

Don't believe the horror stories OP, everyone is different!

Congratulations flowers

Cat1980uk Sun 15-Oct-17 15:16:22

Thank you again so so much everyone for your replies. They have helped me a lot today! I am now feeling more excited than scared I think lol. 2 more days and I will be cuddling my little boy and I really cannot wait to just soak him all up and hold him close xx

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Sun 15-Oct-17 16:20:10

For me, the procedure itself was fine, didn't feel a thing (had a spinal), but mine was an emergency c section so I was a trembling bag of nerves the entire time my son was being born. I personally found it all really tough to deal with but I think if it was planned I'd have been perfectly fine!

I can't sugar coat the pain afterwards though. I struggled big time for about 2 months following the surgery, again, that might have been because it was an emergency.

Bottom line though, you will be absolutely okay! I'm pregnant again and have been given the option to have an elective c section or try for a VBAC, 12 weeks to go and I still haven't fully decided which route I'm going to take xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: