Talk

Advanced search

Please can someone give me a virtual slap about my downs test result?

(10 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Sat 14-Oct-17 18:10:21

I know I'm being irrational but I can't stop worrying. Also I feel selfish as there will be people in a far worse position than me and if you're one of those, I apologise.
I had my son 18 months ago and his ds test came back at 1 in 100,000 so this time I've not even been thinking about it. I'm 29.
This time it's come back at 1 in 10,000 but Edwards and pataeu are 1 in 100,000.
Why has downs risk increased this time? The nuchal fold was 1.3mm
What are these tests based on, and has anyone had similar results?
I know I'm being ridiculous.

GlitteryFluff Sat 14-Oct-17 18:15:35

First pregnancy my result was 1 in 3500ish. Was 24.
This pregnancy my result is 1 in 100,000.
Am 27.
I've no idea why they are so different.
I in 10,000 is absolutely fine, don't worry.

StraffeHendrik Sat 14-Oct-17 19:03:43

It's based on the thickness of the nuchal fold, and the ratio of two hormone levels, and your age.
One in 10,000 is very low but if you are worrying about it you could go for the harmony test which is based on the baby's DNA ( they take a blood sample from your arm, it is not dangerous). That gives you a near certain yes/no but as you are not high risk based on your results, you would have to pay privately it's about £500

DaisyLand Sat 14-Oct-17 19:17:21

Afaik it changes with your age.
Also the percentage changes so it’s not the same for someone that is 25 or someone that is 40(this is higher)

I know 18 months don’t seem much different but it decreases with age.
www.parenting.com/article/pregnancy-at-20-30-40

At age 25, your chances of delivering a baby with Down syndrome are 1 in 1,250,

By age 30 your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome is 1 in 952

And you are well beyond that. I’m 32yo qnd my values were 1 in 12000.

The nt is important as well , they’d investigare you if it was greater than 3.5mm

As they had said if you want more investigation it needs to be private but seems like you’ve little to worry about

KadabrasSpoon Sat 14-Oct-17 19:45:20

No two pregnancies are the same. It's a different baby with different fold measurement, different blood test results and you are a different age.
It means that out of 10,000 pregnancies like yours, one baby will be born with Downs Syndrome. In percentage terms it's a 0.01% chance.

onemoremummy Sat 14-Oct-17 22:52:32

Please stop worrying about this. It's a very low result. My results were 1 in 15,000 (I think) with my first and 1 in 1900 with my second. Both fine. Both low risk!

WhyTheHeckMe Sun 15-Oct-17 09:16:34

Thanks ladies. It's what I needed to hear. I've been so paranoid this whole pregnancy after mc earlier this year, it's tipping me over the edge! Have already forked out for 3 private scans at £70 each and I'm only 13 weeks. DH is getting a little intolerant to it all understandably so couldn't really express my worries to him
Thanks again

Brenna24 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:14:47

Hiya. I haven't had testing done, so can't comment on that, but I wanted to say sorry about the miscarriage and that we have a thread for ladies who are pregnant after miscarriage (staying posifricketific). You are welcome to join us there and hear all your worried from others too. It helps to know that the extra worry and stress is normal in our situation and the support on there is great.

fairyofallthings Sun 15-Oct-17 12:17:24

You'd have to have 10'000 babies and to have one with DS. The chances are really very, very, very low.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sun 15-Oct-17 12:32:16

Hello - im also pregnant with my second at 29 and had a similar reaction to my DS risk - it's at 1/9400 which I know is really not something to worry about at all, but when I had my first at 24 the risk was 1/340000 so it felt such a dramatic shortening of the odds! I assume it is v much age driven (I know you've had a smaller gap than me) and it's not rational, but it's hard not to compare, and hard not to worry. Those are fantastic odds really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now