Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fecked off with the cramping

(9 Posts)
thecolonelbumminganugget Sat 14-Oct-17 11:15:36

Just letting off some steam to people who know how this feels. 5 weeks pregnant and have have constant cramps for 2 weeks now. Been assured that this is fine and normal but it's really getting me down. DH is being very nice to me but I just want to sit in my pyjamas all day and cry but life has to carry on and I have to go out and put a brave face on it. I'm aware that in the scheme of things I should just get over myself as on the scale of world suffering i dont even feature, but this is proper wank and I'm thoroughly hacked off with it.

Any tips for dealing with it?

Ilovechocolate111 Sat 14-Oct-17 12:12:16

I've been there. Have a nice warm bath. And try to relax (easy said than done i no)..
Have a hot water bottle.
Drink lots of fluids and try to move about a little. Staying in one position for a long period of time won't help ease the pain.
Are you constipated at all?

Ilovechocolate111 Sat 14-Oct-17 12:12:18

I've been there. Have a nice warm bath. And try to relax (easy said than done i no)..
Have a hot water bottle.
Drink lots of fluids and try to move about a little. Staying in one position for a long period of time won't help ease the pain.
Are you constipated at all?

thecolonelbumminganugget Sat 14-Oct-17 12:58:16

Thanks. I've had a bath and got dressed which has at least helped my mood. I think I'll go for a walk and try to take my mid mind off it.

ForeverHopeful21 Sat 14-Oct-17 15:09:27

I feel your pain! I've had terrible cramps throughout this pregnant (which I didn't have with my last pregnancy so was awfully worried). I even went to hospital one night because I was in agony. However everything is completely fine with baby.

I found that although I didn't feel like getting up, actually, walking really helped. Hot water bottle didn't take the pain away but did soothe a little.
My cramps started to become less frequent at 6 weeks and now at 13 weeks it's just the odd day that it bothers me.

haveacupoftea Sat 14-Oct-17 18:02:29

Don't use a hot water bottle in early pregnancy, just take a couple of paracetamol.

ForeverHopeful21 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:10:59

@haveacupoftea why no hot water bottle?
Both 111 and Early Pregnancy Unit both told me to use a hot water bottle.

MotherOfBeagles Sun 15-Oct-17 13:29:06

I was told can use a hot water bottle but be careful of placement and how hot. Basically not on stomach, use on lower back but not for long periods of time so keep moving it around. Also make sure it’s got a good cover on it so it’s not straight onto your skin/clothes. (Also don’t fill yourself at 3am and pour boiling water over your hands blush)

ForeverHopeful21 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:59:06

It's a shame that guidance seems different depending on the healthcare professional, as I was told by a paramedic and by a midwife to use one. When I was having extreme cramps i.e. rolling around on the floor in agony, I was told that hot water bottle could be used on tummy and back to relieve pain. You're right I didn't fill with boiling water but I did use it for hours and hours over many days, which is concerning if you were told different!

TBH the only time I've read that hot water bottles aren't safe during pregnancy are on forum websites like this, whereas NHS/hospital sites and guidance websites all say its ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now