Talk

Advanced search

Femur length measuring below average

(6 Posts)
Melbimp Sat 14-Oct-17 11:09:50

Had my 20 week scan on 5th October. The sonographer checked all of the important stuff and said it was great and exactly how it should be. She then called us back in to re-do measurements only as femur length seemed shorter than it should be. She did explain that the 12 week sonographer may have been generous when measuring. Have to go for another scan at Fetal Medicine unit. Anyone ever experienced this? Seems scary but my partner's family are generally short anyway.

ShuttyTown Sat 14-Oct-17 12:09:27

My DS who is now 5 measured with short femurs on all of his scans, he was born perfectly sized and shaped and is a normal height etc. The scans are notorious for only giving estimates and sometimes bad ones when it comes to measurements. Try not to worry flowers

MsP0b Sat 14-Oct-17 15:13:06

My friend was told the femur was measuring short all through her pregnancy and her son was born perfectly sized and proportioned. He’s now nearly 10 months and starting to stand up on his lovely legs. Don’t worry x

Salmonpinkcords Sat 14-Oct-17 19:41:04

The femur length was well below average at my 20 week scan but at my 32 week scan (needed for placenta position) the femur length was well above average.

NC1990 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:22:29

My baby's femurs were measuring small at our 20-week scan. The first time the sonographer measured it was coming up 7th centile which she was a bit concerned about, but when she called us back in to remeasure it was 17th centile (which shows you how the slightest variation in measurement can really change the percentile!). Everything else was measuring over 50th centile so I was quite worried about it even though the sonographer was reassuring.

We went for a private growth scan at 30 weeks and the femurs had completely caught up and were measuring bang on with everything else. Babies grow at such different rates and some babies just have little legs!

Melbimp Mon 16-Oct-17 19:02:40

Many thanks for the reassurance ladies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now