Talk

Advanced search

HG and GTT

(7 Posts)
caramelMatch Thu 12-Oct-17 18:51:15

I am 26 weeks and still suffering with HG. I have to have a GTT and I have spoken to the midwife as no idea how it will work.
I take anti sickness meds but also need to eat something plain at same time or I throw up constantly

On the day of GTT I have to travel (40mins) to hospital on an empty stomach - I know I'll be sick and the glucose drink will make me sick too but they said I need the test?? I don't know what to do ??

AnUtterIdiot Thu 12-Oct-17 18:54:26

You can refuse the test and as if you can monitor blood sugar levels using a meter instead? I don't have HG but I was borderline for GD and they gave me a meter to keep track of blood glucose. Basically I check bloods when I get up and one hour after breakfast lunch and dinner. Maybe you could do that for a short period instead?

If you do take the test tell them to organise a room for you - I had to sit in the waiting area which would not have been much fun with HG.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 12-Oct-17 18:54:38

*ask not as

caramelMatch Thu 12-Oct-17 18:59:25

Ah I see so there is another option. I didn't want to refuse in case anything then happens but having the test I think will just be a disaster

Bisquick Thu 12-Oct-17 19:03:46

There are a variety of ways to test glucose levels, including a non-fasting test. I had a mini GTT which involves just drinking the glucose drink whenever you like and then nothing other than water for an hour and having bloods drawn. So I just went to the clinic, sat there and had my drink, and waited for an hour for bloods, then ate plain toast just so I wouldn't feel faint etc. Speak to your MW about other options.

Lules Thu 12-Oct-17 19:04:55

I had HG and had to have the GTT. It was awful but I managed not to be sick, although I came very close. I would try to do it at least. If I had been sick they would have asked me to repeat it another time. I don't know what would have happened if I'd been sick both times.

caramelMatch Thu 12-Oct-17 19:11:39

I thought by now the HG would have gone tbh but it's showing no signs plus I've been getting bad migraines if I don't eat soon after getting up so I feel like it's all set up to not go well
I'll ask at my appt tomorrow about other options as I can't decline totally as I've had a previous baby over 4kg and diabetes in the family

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now