Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Previous anti-depressants - Midwife cause for concern

(9 Posts)
moregingerbreadplease Thu 12-Oct-17 16:39:16

When I went to my last midwife appointment, she told me that she had written a cause for concern because I was on anti depressants before I found out I was pregnant. I weaned off these when I found out I was expecting and have managed without them since.
What does it mean that she has written a cause for concern? I feel like I am struggling and cannot tell them the truth when they ask how I am feeling for fear that they will take the baby or send SS round all the time when it is born.
Has anyone else had this?

HoneyWheeler Thu 12-Oct-17 16:44:32

The CFC is there so that they can support you now and after the baby is born - definitely not to take the baby away or even to get SS involved! It’s just there so that your HV will know to ask you how you are feeling when they visit. I have terrible anxiety, but have really felt supported throughout my pregnancy and so I would always recommend that you’re honest with your midwife!

ChocolatePancake Thu 12-Oct-17 17:49:28

Depression isn't a reason for them to send SS or take your baby away from you! You can be the most depressed person on the planet, as long as your baby won't be neglected or in any danger then they have no cause for concern other than to help you through tough times xx

LEMtheoriginal Thu 12-Oct-17 17:55:56

Please don't worry - it is far better that your midwife flags up a potential issue so that if you need some support it will be there if you need it. You absolutely will not have social services knocking on the door.

You may be more prone to post natal depression and if you and hcp are able to spot it soon enough you can get medication or other therapies. I was put in Ads when dd2 was 2 and not once was there mention of social services.

Much rather the midwife be vigilant like your than useless like mine. She told me I was clinically depressed and would be back the next day........2 years later I had a breakdown

moregingerbreadplease Fri 13-Oct-17 12:04:50

Thank you all for your comments, I feel better about it now. Yes they were for depression but mainly anxiety

dementedpixie Fri 13-Oct-17 12:08:30

there are anti depressants you can take in pregnancy too so if you need help ask for it

BlueCows Fri 13-Oct-17 12:20:26

She will just be concerned that you could possibly be more prone to post natal or even antenatal depression. Doesn't mean you will get depressed but she wants to flag it up so people are a bit more watchful so they can support you if needed.

arbrighton Fri 13-Oct-17 13:33:40

Also to monitor baby at birth if you are still on them as there is some risk associated. It hadn't registered by induction at 38 w, despite several appts that i'd stopped mine by 12w. Having the conversation allowed me to monitor mood with midwife and hv.

ANIDOO Fri 13-Oct-17 22:15:48

I was on my anti anxiety meds for the majority of my pregnancy (came off of them at week 36 so baby didn't have them in system at birth).
From my experience, they should be really supportive about it. I was given an interview with a counsellor who referred me to Perinatal just in case, which luckily I didn't need.
They are there to support both you and the baby. Not to take the baby away. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: