Talk

Advanced search

If you put on 10kg in pregnancy, how quickly did the weight come off?

(20 Posts)
hufflepuff3 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:45:22

Hi everyone, I’m new to mumsnet so bear with me.

I’m pregnant with my first child and have been tracking my weight progress on a pregnancy weight gain calculator online. I’ve consistently been putting on the minimum amount of weight on the chart and at 28 weeks have put on 6kg which brings me in line to put on a total of 10-11kg once I get to 40 weeks.

My problem is I’m lazy and don’t eat that well. How quickly will the weight come off after I give birth?

reallyanotherone Thu 12-Oct-17 11:50:08

No way to tell. It comes of easily for some, not for others.

Some people find breastfeeding makes them drop weight very quickly, others have a change in metabolism which means their bodies hang on to every calorie and can’t lose weight until they stop bf.

No way of knowing which you’ll be.

But 10kg in a pregnancy isn’t much at all. You say you’re lazy and don’t eat well, but you obviously pay enough attention to your diet and weight to track and stick to a 10kg weight gain. Unless you are very overweight to start, 12 kg is average.

PandaCat Thu 12-Oct-17 11:51:39

I'm not sure what I weighed at the end of my first pregnancy but a few weeks after she was born I only weighed 7lbs (about 3kg I think) more than my pre-pregnancy weight.

Unfortunately, I gained weight in the years to follow so not much help!

ChocolatePancake Thu 12-Oct-17 11:56:30

I put on way more than this! Lost it within weeks with my second but struggled with my first

hufflepuff3 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:57:40

Yes I am lazy and don’t eat well blush but I don’t eat very much of what I do eat and I’m lucky genes wise that I eat crap and have managed to stay a size 10 most of my life. I’m conscious of putting on too much weight because I know I’ll be too lazy to workout to get rid of it. But I take after my dad body-wise and not my mum so no way of knowing if I’ll bounce back or not. My mum didn’t bounce back after having us, and got loads of stretch marks on her stomach too.

PandaCat Thu 12-Oct-17 12:46:32

Op I am lazy and not very good at healthy eating also! I absolutely hate exercise! I think I bounced back quite well after my first, it was only because we moved further away from the supermarket that I gained weight, we had to shop online so less walking etc.

I'm hoping my DD will kick my butt and drag me outside as the weather will just turn when this baby will be born and DD will want to go out on her bike!

LapinR0se Thu 12-Oct-17 12:50:06

I gained 12kg in my first pregnancy and lost it within a month.
This time I am 30 weeks and have gained 8.5kg so will also probably end up around 11/12kg up and am hoping it just falls off again!

Herefornow1 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:50:24

I put on 10.4kg and lost it within 6 weeks after birth but my shape had changed. Also was usually a size 8/10. The padding seems to remain around my waist and hips & 11 years on it's still there so am in size 10/12 trousers.

hufflepuff3 Thu 12-Oct-17 13:06:16

Thank you everyone! Hopefully I'll be one of those who lose all the weight within a month or two too grin

herefornow I hear this a lot, that women's body shape changes after pregnancy. How has it changed, if you're back at your pre-pregnancy weight? Is it just missing some tone and definition?

abigailgabble Thu 12-Oct-17 13:11:48

so quickly! i am still BF at 5 mo and I’m lighter than i was at booking by ~4kg!!! and I’m eating totally normally/loads of chocolate/sitting on sofa.

Justwaitingforaline Thu 12-Oct-17 13:19:01

I gained 12kg during pregnancy and also lost it, plus another 2kg, within 3 months although most of it went within the first month.

OneForTheRoadThen Thu 12-Oct-17 13:22:09

I gave birth 16 months ago and I still have 3 stone to lose sad

Herefornow1 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:00:09

Huffle, Definitely tone & definition lost and I've never regained any sort of waist. Baby was big though for the amount of weight I gained during pregnancy. Baby weighed 4.15kg and I put on 10.4kg

I lost quite a bit more weight through breastfeeding although I know that's not the case for everyone, but even at around 50-53kg the flab still remained from under my bust to lower abdomen.

I can loose a lot of it (but never all of it) by religiously cutting out carbs but I hop on and off that wagon frequently

bookgirl1982 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:30:30

The first 8kg by three months. The last 2kg still here 21 months later!

hufflepuff3 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:47:45

Some positive stories here!

I’ve put on loads of weight on my hips and thighs, my thighs look like sausages in my skinny jeans!

onefortheroad good luck on your weight loss journey! I bet you’re not nearly as lazy as me and you will shift the weight soon enough.

I think it’s my laziness that has kept me relatively slim over the years. I’m so lazy my lunch was a double decker chocolate bar and my dinner will be an avocado and two Cumberland sausages because I’m too lazy and tired to walk to the shops and/or cook and that’s all we have in the fridge!

mscongeniality Thu 12-Oct-17 21:07:41

I had to lose 10kg after my first child and it took me a full year to lose it all. I lost most of it within the first 6 months though, the last few kgs were more stubborn and took longer!

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 12-Oct-17 23:04:44

I put on about that with both pregnancies and went back to pretty much normal weight within a couple of months both times. I am a runner/gymmer though, although not while pregnant. I bf both times and was bloody starving so ate HEAPS after birth and still lost the weight, no bother. Agree that my body shape changed permanently, a bit more after each baby. My hips and waist got slightly wider each time, and we won't talk about the state of my boobs confused all in all I look fine though. 10kg isn't a lot, you'll be grand OP, and you'll be too busy loving your new baby to care anyway smile

oldlaundbooth Fri 13-Oct-17 00:21:16

Totally missing point of thread but you can still buy double deckers?

arbrighton Fri 13-Oct-17 13:39:38

I put on 16. Ds is 16w tomorrow and as of today, the milk monster has got me 1kg lighter than when i got pregnant,but still about 8 off my ideal

arbrighton Fri 13-Oct-17 13:40:35

oh and i'm not really back to exercise or watching what i eat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now