Talk

Advanced search

Where did you get early pregnancy advice and support?

(5 Posts)
KittenCamile Thu 12-Oct-17 09:32:02

Hi,

I am very newly pregnant for the first time (4 weeks 4 days) and am wondering were everyone got their early pregnancy advice?

We had ivf but the hospital don't do anything until my 8 week scan, I have informed my GP as I have progesterone and needed a prescription but they don't do anything till after my 8 week scan either.

Am a bit lost now! This is my first time, it has taken 5 years to get to this and now it feels a little lIke your not really pregnant until after your 12 or 8 week scan.

The hospital didn't prepare me for actual pregnancy just having ivf. Am unsure what I do now? Any advice? What to expect? What's normal?

Many thanks

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 09:37:32

Was in exactly the same position I know what you mean. Signed off from The ivf clinic but the NHS isn't interested till 12 weeks. It's like a void especially after years of intensive medical care having ivf.
Also the NHS care tends to be rather rushed compared to the private clinic think peeling walls rather than lattes.
It's just waiting game I'm afraid, I found it very stressful. I did have twins 4th I found cycle and so I had consultant care and extra scans which helped.
Best if luck to you I remember this being a very anxious time.

Lozmatoz Thu 12-Oct-17 09:42:37

First of all you need to contact the midwife. Where I live you don’t need to see the GP but phone their reception and they will give you the details of midwife, i’ll tell you how it works where you are, then you can make your first appointment. How to basic details with you and book you in for your initial blood tests. Then I’ll be your scan, sounds like you’ll be having an extra one at a earlier stage which will be reassuring rather than waiting to the 12 weeks.

There isn’t a huge amount of advice and support if I’m honest. I’m on pregnancy number 4, with 3rd DC. But I have always been low risk, so I’m not seen very often especially in later pregnancies.

Take a look at the NHS website, that will have the most up-to-date info. Nothing will really change at first although you may start feeling a bit ill or horrifically ill! In my second pregnancy I was advised by GP to take vitamin B6 which help massively with nausea. Make sure you’re taking vitamin D and folic acid. I used to wear seasickness travel bands too. You may begin to feel extremely tired so just sleep as much as you can. Just take it easy and listen to your body, don’t do anything massively different than you would normally.

And finally congratulations! I hope everything goes well! X

KittenCamile Thu 12-Oct-17 09:52:23

Thank you both!

After such a long time waiting to actually get a BFP I feel like now is when I need surpport and there isn't any!

Thank you for the midwife info, I will look into that and it's a great place to start. Will look at the NHS website also.

I have been very tired and just felt a little icky so far, had some cramping as well. With ivf you find out your pregnant so early so there's more time to worry!

Lozmatoz Thu 12-Oct-17 10:01:56

It’s a weird experience, I always feel a bit abandoned... it’s also not exciting all the time like I think some people assume. It’s nerve wrecking and feels like it goes on forever. But you’re o we the first hurdle! Why not see if you can join your local NCT group. Then you’ll meet other mum’s and can build a support system with people experiencing the same things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now