Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5+6 scan today, no gestational sac...

(12 Posts)
webster144 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:30:15

Hi everyone,

I posted a day or two ago about what’s been happening so far in my pregnancy, long story cut short...I’m approx 5+6 and having brown spotting when wiping & cramps for around 4 days (no red blood or anything) and passed a single clot on Sunday night, so GP got me booked in for early pregnancy scan today (Wednesday).

Went to hospital today for said scan, feeling semi positive after nice comments on my previous post and also reading threads of other positive stories. Had an internal scan as I’m so early on and lady was extremely quiet, she said she couldn’t see anything. No sac, nothing. All she found was a cyst on my right ovary. She let me see it all, and was quite thourough with her searching, I couldn’t even imagine it in my head it was that clear.

She said it could be 3 things, too early to see, eptopic pregnancy or on Sunday when I passed the single clot it could have been a miscarriage. They’ve taken blood to get a hormone reading and I’m due back in 48 hours to give more blood and to get another scan.

Am I holding onto nothing here and should I just assume the worst, that I did indeed miscarry? I’m trying so hard here to be positive but I’m feeling so down since this afternoon at my scan.

What is everyone’s thoughts? I would so appreciate if any of you out there have any positive stories or similar experiences to share. sad

Thankyou so much x

user1485196412 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:36:41

I could've written this exact post about 2 years ago. They thought mine must be ectopic and basically told me they'd be seeing my again for management of that. It turned out that actually it was just too early - so after many scans, bloods, etc etc eventually at about 7 weeks I think we saw the baby that's now asleep upstairs! So it's not necessarily bad news. I really hope everything goes ok for you. Even my second hcg came back 'lower than expected '- it was such a stressful time. Thinking of you!

Caspiana Wed 11-Oct-17 18:38:19

I don’t have any experience I’m afraid but just wanted to wish you the best for a positive outcome x

webster144 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:39:56

Thankyou user 1485196412, did you have problems seeing the sac at first? I’m trying to be positive, but struggling! Did you also have problems with brown spotting etc, passing any clots with no blood?
I feel so alone! Thanks for your kind words x

cherryontopp Wed 11-Oct-17 18:40:17

OP I feel for you i really do but there's no use in worrying yourself sick and looking for people's opinions on here, It will do no good. No one knows the answer.

Your too early on to get an accurate result. The only thing you can do is wait maybe another 2 weeks, By then if there is a baby in there you'll know for definite. Trying to guess and having people guess on here will do you no good. There's no way of knowing.

It's hard but try and wait it out and hopefully when your nearly 8 weeks you'll see a heart beat.

flowers

MeatAndPotato Wed 11-Oct-17 18:49:24

My thoughts are with you OP flowers

scottishem Wed 11-Oct-17 18:50:01

I went for a scan at just over 5 weeks and I was told they couldn't see any signs of the pregnancy. So they took bloods to check HCG levels.
The reason they couldnt see the sac/baby yet was because my HCG was too low to show on a scan. My levels doubled and at a 6+2 scan there was the sack with a little baby in the middle.
HCG levels with help give you a much clearer idea. Best of luck smileflowers

orangeowls Wed 11-Oct-17 18:50:32

So sorry to hear this, it definitely can still be a positive outcome so don’t give up all hope. When we were waiting between scans to see if I had indeed had a missed miscarriage we took the approach of expecting the worst but hoping for the best. We prepared ourselves for the worst but hoped the news would be good.

My friend had an early scan where they saw nothing and then went back a week later and there was a tiny baby with a heartbeat, so it can happen xx

BertieBotts Wed 11-Oct-17 18:51:47

Could be too early on. I had a scan at about 5 weeks they couldn't see anything, went back 2 days later and there was a little sac there and my hCG was increasing.

Unfortunately I did end up losing that one later, but up until that point they said that everything looked good.

KalaLaka Wed 11-Oct-17 19:05:19

I don't mean to be unkind, but I'm not sure how useful hopeful, positive stories are. If you feel it's better for you to hear positive outcomes, fine, but I found hope very difficult to deal with in a similar situation. I found planning ahead and looking at what I'd do if the worst happened was most useful.

I wish you all the best op flowers

user1485196412 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:30:07

Totally agree with orange owls - that's how we approached it. We expected the worst but hoped for the best- I think that's the best way as it is so early and it will be a few weeks until they will be able to tell you much. Try to stay away from google - I drove myself mad googling HCG levels etc. Yes I did have spotting / bleeding on and off till about 14 weeks. Also some dark clots at the start.

fairyofallthings Wed 11-Oct-17 19:32:48

I had three early scans with on pregnancy vis 1. no sac 2. sac, no fetal pole 3. sac with baby. They are now a teenager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now