Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nearly 37wks and I have only gained 10lbs.

(20 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Wed 11-Oct-17 14:22:57

Yesterday I had the flu jab at my doctor's surgery. I asked to be weighed and I weigh 9stone 10lbs. I haven't been weighed since I discovered I was pregnant and I was just over 9 stone then. I looked online at normal weight gain during pregnancy and I am not even close.

None of the midwives or obstetricians have mentioned anything about my weight except to say that because I wasn't overweight, I should be fine. Why would I gain so little weight? Should I be as worried as I am starting to feel now?sad

Does anyone else have experience of this?

midnightflowers Wed 11-Oct-17 14:26:59

I’ve never really gained weight apart from ‘baby’ with all my pregnancies.
No one has ever seemed concerned or nothings ever been mentioned.
I do seem to have a fast metabolism and struggle to put weight on in general anyway. (And am small all over including height)
If your dr/midwife isn’t concerned and baby is growing correctly then I wouldn’t worry!
(It’s just one thing less to lose after baby!) grin

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 11-Oct-17 14:49:15

Thanks Midnight. I suppose I'm just getting worried because this has been a bit of nightmare pregnancy (severe nausea until wk16 and pelvic arthropathy from week 18) and a different midwife or obstetrician at each appointment. The baby is developing well (just over 50th centile). I am supposed to be seeing the consultant on Friday to discuss my request for an elective CS.

I have not been offered any antenatal classes, nor has anyone discussed a birth plan. This all feels very different from my first pregnancy 11 years ago.

bakingmad83 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:58:52

Hi Dione,

I only gained 12lb at 40 weeks with DS and he was a healthy 7lb 14oz. At 35 weeks I've just gained 5lb, so looks like an even smaller weight gain this time round. Like Midnight I've always been small build and don't tend to gain much, though am tall. Some of us just don't put on much weight in pregnancy smile

Perhaps you could get in touch with your midwife and see if there's still time to join an antenatal class? Where I am they're offered to everyone regardless of whether it's your first or not, but I've not opted to do them this time round, as less than three years since I had DS. Get the feeling not many women have a specific discussion with their midwife about their birth plan and both times I've just written my own.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly and you get your wish for an elective CS granted.

Anatidae Wed 11-Oct-17 15:03:41

It should be fine. There’s no need to put any weight on past the baby, fluids and tissues that support it. Of course many women do and that’s ok too - but it’s not abnormal to put about 10 lb on.
I had severe nausea and only put a couple of kg on.

orangeowls Wed 11-Oct-17 15:21:32

I also gained very little weight, my baby was 7lb4oz so not small. Don’t worry smile

mindutopia Wed 11-Oct-17 15:46:34

Assuming you are otherwise healthy and you haven't been restricting your diet, I wouldn't be too worried. I way a bit more than you, but with my first I only gained 16 lbs. It sounds like you are likely small anyway, so that much just be how your body does pregnancy. My first was on the smaller side (I don't think I make huge babies, even though we are both really tall), around 40th centile ish in pregnancy and she was born 6lbs 9oz. Just not a huge baby and I'm not someone who gets huge and gains lots of weight. Some people are just like that.

VocalDuck Wed 11-Oct-17 15:49:23

I have a couple of friends who had such bad HG that they weighed less when they gave birth than when they got pregnant. It is not a cow description but think of the baby as a parasite that gets everything it needs from you at your expense if necessary.

BewareOfTheToddler Wed 11-Oct-17 15:51:45

I only put 13 lbs on when I was pregnant with DS and 8lbs 8oz of that was him! In my case I had a lot of problems with nausea and then had to watch sugar towards the end due to borderline gestational diabetes. But he was fine - and I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight within days blush.

Anatidae Wed 11-Oct-17 15:54:08

Yes I weighed less post birth than pre pregnancy. I put a couple of kg on and then lost several kg during birth.

mogulfield Wed 11-Oct-17 16:32:09

I'm not as far along as you, but I've put on 1kg and I'm 22 weeks, I looked at a weight gain calculator and I should weigh between 54-57kg but I weigh 51 kg. I'm trying not to worry as midwife is unconcerned, and those weight gains are for average women, whereas we may differ in bone density/metabolism smile

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 11-Oct-17 16:45:20

Thank you all.thanks I feel much more reassured. And thank you Vocal for making me laugh.gringringrin

ineedwine99 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:49:01

I only gained a very small amount, i think i lost at the start due to stopping drinking wine plus not eating as much grin
Baby was 6lb 6oz on her due date

ScotsLamb Wed 11-Oct-17 17:00:18

I thought it was meant to be a gain of 1lb for every week after 20 weeks so average would be 17 lbs by your stage.
I had significant morning sickness in the first two trimesters and at 29 weeks I hadn't gained anything on my booking weight as I had lost so much before hand.
As long as baby is measuring correctly and you are happy and healthy I wouldn't worry about the weight. It's an average level. Some will be less, some will be more.

Cracklesfire Wed 11-Oct-17 19:25:18

I only gained a stone last time and most of that was fluid in the last two weeks. DS was 10lbs - i weighed less after birth than I did pre-pregnancy. This time I'm almost 12 weeks and I've lost 3lbs.

UnbornMortificado Wed 11-Oct-17 19:27:20

I lost due to HG, although he came early (due to sepsis not sickness) he was a good weight (2lb11) for his gestation.

FortyFacedFuckers Wed 11-Oct-17 19:31:01

I only gained 10lb when DS was born at 40+2 ds was perfectly healthy 7lb 15oz I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Oldschool41 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:17:22

I'm 31 weeks and have gained 11lb since my booking appointment with midwife. Baby is growing fine so I wouldn't worry some people just don't put on extra weight. Just count yourself as lucky. I feel lucky it could be worse

DeadDoorpost Wed 11-Oct-17 22:32:42

My midwife just mentions my weightLOSS as I've not gained anything. But then I battled Hyperemesis (and still am) so lost a lot to begin with. Only I seem to be stuck at the same weight for the last 10 weeks or so. The advice I got was if the baby is measuring fine then you're ok and no need to worry. As long as the midwife thinks you're ok you're all good.

lauryloo Wed 11-Oct-17 22:33:49

I put on less than a stone with both my babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now