Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Balayage in first trimester

(12 Posts)
HolyShmoly Tue 10-Oct-17 22:12:29

I booked in to get my hair done next week, restyle and balayage. But shortly after booking I got my positive. I thought as the bleach wouldn't be going to my roots (I've dark hair so would be lightening the lengths and ends) I'd be fine. But I need to cancel it, don't I?

Anyone got a convincing excuse to tell my friend as she knows I was so excited when booking it!

Misssmoo Tue 10-Oct-17 22:13:42

I has mine done same thing at 4 weeks im fine x

dementedpixie Tue 10-Oct-17 22:15:28

I don't see why you need to cancel

mummabubs Tue 10-Oct-17 22:15:53

It's fine OP- check the NHS website as they have a whole page on dyeing hair in pregnancy.

HolyShmoly Tue 10-Oct-17 22:18:45

Thanks. I'd read elsewhere that you should avoid it in the first trimester, but I'm happy to take the NHS advice on this one!

dementedpixie Tue 10-Oct-17 22:20:55

Nhs says some women avoid it but doesn't say you should or that it's dangerous

dementedpixie Tue 10-Oct-17 22:22:16

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/949.aspx?CategoryID=54

mummabubs Tue 10-Oct-17 22:22:25

I'm 40+3 with my first child OP and have definitely learnt throughout pregnancy that so many people/ Google sites will put the fear of God into you about doing pretty much anything. I tend to go by the NHS recommendations as they cite relevant research so feels more evidence-based. (And for what it's worth I've continued to dye my hair every 8 weeks throughout pregnancy just as I did before!) The only thing I would give you a heads up on is that sometimes being pregnant means your hair doesn't respond to dye in the same way- so at times my hair has gone much darker than it would have previously or alternatively now I'm at the end I notice that it doesn't really absorb dye as well as it used to. But then I dye my hair myself whereas a salon will be a better place to judge how to time the dye!

TheCatsMother99 Wed 11-Oct-17 06:35:37

I know it won't be touching your scalp but make sure you tell your hairdresser you're pregnant anyway as your hormones can affect dye and, also, make bleach take more quickly as your body temp may be higher.

It won't actually harm you or baby though.

Cracklesfire Wed 11-Oct-17 07:46:17

It was my friends hairdresser who told her she was pregnant with baby number 2 - the dye wouldn't take to her hair. So although it's safe you still might want to tell your hairdresser.

HandbagFan Wed 11-Oct-17 08:02:03

I had problems going from blonde to brown when 30 something weeks pregnant with DS - took the hairdresser two goes and several hours to get the colour to take!

That said I've never had a problem with highlights taking.

Oldschool41 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:26:08

I'm 31 weeks and have continued to have my hair bleached throughout as the roots would be horrendous 😜 not done me or baby any harm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: