Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Gestational diabetes - meal suggestions?

(17 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Tue 10-Oct-17 17:37:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Owl1011 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:59:59

Hey OP, I don't have direct experience of gestational diabetes but this might help smile

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-the-basics/Gestational-diabetes/Diet-and-lifestyle

Cat1980uk Tue 10-Oct-17 18:16:33

Hiya, I was diagnosed at week 24 and I am now 37 weeks. I have gained only 2lbs due to the diet the clinic put me on and I am part of a gestational diabetes UK group on facebook too. Some good tips here www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk

Some tips! Most women can't tolerate carbs especially at breakfast or cereals all together so cut porridge out altogether as 90% get high levels after. Yogurts most you can't eat on GD diet as full of sugar such as muller. Only ones ok are full fat greek yogurt or full fat natural both plain. Fruit is allowed very sparingly and needs pairing well with fat and protein and no more than you can fit in palm of your hand, dried fruit a big no no. Breakfasts are using a protein breakfast so no carbs but things like ham and cheese omelettes, fried egg, bacon, sausages (meaty ones so no fillers). White carbs big no no so no white bread, pasta, rice etc and nothing with any sugar added to it. Has to be low gi so slow release carbs such as wholegrain rice, brown pasta, bread use little and has to be full of protein so the seeded brown such as Burgens is a good one. Any new foods spike test as sometimes 1hr bloods can be good but you will miss your spike so in that hour could have had high bloods then crashed low so looks like good levels when really not. Spike testing you do bloods 15, 30, 45 and 60 mins after eating it. If you get any high readings that time then low ones it's not a good food.

Sorry for so much info to start with. If you want anymore advice feel free to pm me anytime as I know how daunting it is to start xx

Cat1980uk Tue 10-Oct-17 18:18:56

Forgot to add link to diet advice xxx

www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/gestational-diabetes-diet/

www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/what-is-food-pairing/

THirdEeye Tue 10-Oct-17 19:12:06

I found that I could tolerate some carbs but not others.

For instance, I cannot eat (even a small amount) of wholewheat pasta but I'm okay with seeded/wholemeal bread.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 10-Oct-17 19:45:01

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Tue 10-Oct-17 19:48:01

Stop eating cereal and porridge and fruit. It's all sugar. I've had gestational diabetes multiple Ines now and it is shocking how fucking atrocious the information given by he NHS is.

Please look at he gestational diabetes uk Facebook page. It is wonderful.

AccrualIntentions Tue 10-Oct-17 19:52:25

I've ignored all the information given to my by the NHS because it was useless. Some of the links given above already have been really useful for me. I have still had to include small amounts of carbs through the day because I had ketones in my urine and was told that was also bad, so it's a really fine balance. I followed GI guides for which are the best fruit and veg to eat and avoid and only have very, very small amounts of starchy carbs (and try to go for wholemeal versions).

I ended up on insulin anyway because my sodding fasting numbers couldn't be controlled by diet, but it's still been good for me and I haven't gained any weight since 24 weeks when I was diagnosed.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 10-Oct-17 19:54:55

AnUtterIdiot Tue 10-Oct-17 19:58:21

Katescurios Tue 10-Oct-17 20:02:17

For meal ideas I looked up Low GI recipes as there are loads online and they meet the criteria for a diabetic diet.

I switched all refined carbs for whole grain, complex carbs like rye bread. Don't cut out carbs altogether just go for darker nuttier more seedy varieties.

Pair carbs with proteins so beans on toast, apple slices with peanut butter pasta with chicken....

Good breakfast would be things like egg (scrambled, poached, boiled, fried, omelette) with ham/bacon/mackeral and/or beans

I got into the habit of taking an omelette kit into work for lunch as we had access to a microwave. I'd put a little grated cheese, some mushrooms/peppers/onion into a Tupperware with a couple of eggs. At lunch just break the eggs in, give it a stir and microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Have with a salad or some buttered rye bread.

Full fat Greek yoghurt with fruit or sugarfree jam was also good.

Cheese strings, hummous with veg, pepperamis are good snacks too

Cat1980uk Tue 10-Oct-17 20:07:19

I'm on the dreaded Ferrograd iron too! I have to take Fybogel to try and keep me regular and drink 2 litres of water everyday just to get me going. Porridge if you can tolerate it don't use the sachets only rolled oats and pair with some cream on top so the fat helps breakdown the carbs. I can tolerate a small bowl if at lunch not breakfast and I have to add cream either fresh cream or Anchor Extra Thick squirty as only squirty cream all cream with no sugar added. If you can tolerate milk always use the full fat versions never the low fat or 0% fat as usually full of sugar instead. You might find also food you can tolerate now as pregnancy progresses suddenly you can't and that's nothing to do with you just how diet changes especially between 32 and 36 week mark.

This is the FB group that goes with the website above and very helpful xx

www.facebook.com/groups/GestationalDiabetesUKMums/

Katescurios Tue 10-Oct-17 20:10:14

Just remembered, my worst sugar reading was after a muller light yoghurt, I dug the pot out if the rubbish and saw that it had 2 tablespoons of sugar in!! Steer clear of the words 'low fat'.

mindutopia Tue 10-Oct-17 20:28:13

If you are eating porridge, make sure it's whole rolled oats, not the quick oats kind or the kind where the oats are chopped up (this is most of them at the supermarket). You need the ones that just look like a whole oat flattened. Usually I can only find these in organic at any stores I shop at! The difference in GI between the ones that are whole rolled and finer is significant. I think one has a GI of 80 and the other of about 40. Have with fruit, not sugar, to sweeten.

THirdEeye Tue 10-Oct-17 20:34:53

just remember that even with a strict GD diet that your blood sugars can still peak.

I'm on metformin now as mine started to peak even after eating a salad!

Calmanrose Tue 10-Oct-17 20:42:45

I diet controlled for 32 weeks... was diagnosed at 9 weeks the 2nd time. All the advice above is spot on and I totally followed it rather than the stupid nhs diet.
One thing... at certain times I really struggled with carbs. Lidl protein rolls are amazing... they're a triangle seeded roll and they are paired so they don't act like a carb.
Also the nature valley protein bars can help with sweet cravings. They're full of nuts and protein but delicious...particularly the caramel.
Nuts are your friend also. I could manage two squares of dark chocolate if i had a handful of nuts with it.
Remember to walk after meals to bring your blood levels down... and drink plenty of water as this also helps your levels.

AccrualIntentions Tue 10-Oct-17 20:51:26

This is what I'm worried about. Low carb I would find very easy - it's having to choose carbs that's tricky! The nurse did say that slow release carbs like porridge were good but it has given me high (but normal) readings.

It's so tricky! My after food readings have actually always been fine so long as I've eaten reasonably well i.e. not stuffed my face with pizza or ice cream. For me it's the fasting numbers which are the problem for me so because of the ketones I eased off going low carb quite so much because it's so much harder to control fasting numbers anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: