Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave

(24 Posts)
TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:07:45

Hi, does anyone know if i can apply for a part time job during the last 3 months of maternity leave whilst I'm not getting paid? I have a full time job and will be starting maternity leave in November, this isn't a job I want to go back into although I'm aware I have to go back for at least 3 months in a years time and plan on going back part time but I am wanting to apply for a job in august that is part time and I know I will enjoy.

2014newme Tue 10-Oct-17 12:10:54

Check in your contract what your employer says about you having another job at the same time as being employed by them.
Why would you not just return to your current job part time in August?

dementedpixie Tue 10-Oct-17 12:12:57

Why do you need to go back for 3 months? Are you getting enhanced maternity pay? You are still counted as employed when on maternity leave so I'm not sure your employer would like it if you starting working somewhere else while technically still employed by them.

thingymaboob Tue 10-Oct-17 12:28:38

Of course you can apply for jobs during maternity leave...applying for a job isn't starting and getting paid. Do you work in NHS?

dementedpixie Tue 10-Oct-17 12:34:45

but op is implying she wants to work part time in an alternative job from August which is before her maternity leave with her current employer ends. She then says she needs to go back to her current job for 3 months

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:28:03

Because I'm a gardener for the council and from April they are making everyone into street cleaners and it's going from Mon to Fri with optional 1 in 5 weekends which I don't mind to a non optional 7 day a week.

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:29:57

So I don't owe them any maternity pay It states I have to go back for a least 3 months, I would rather be doing a different job for 3 months than what they have in store for every one from April.

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:30:51

No, front line for the council.

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:33:54

Just to clarify I am not wanting to stay in this job as it will be drastically changing whilst im off and ideally would like to be doing a job I know I will enjoy and then be able to move on after the first 3 months I am back at work, I know with a baby by then and starting back at the same place it will be difficult to get the time to apply for a job which is why I'd rather start in august.

ijustwannadance Tue 10-Oct-17 13:35:25

You still have to actually go back to work for 3 months though or pay back what is owed.

I had an option of not taking enhanced maternity pay or defering it in case I didn't return.

f1sher Tue 10-Oct-17 13:40:17

If they are changing your role so significantly, won't you need to be consulted about this? My understanding was that if your role is placed into consultation whilst you are on maternity leave, you have extra protection re: redeployment and redundancy. It might be worth seeking advise from your HR department.

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Tue 10-Oct-17 13:47:37

I seriously doubt they would be ok with you doing another job while on maternity leave from them. If you are fit and ready to return to work they'd expect you to return to work with them.

You can obviously apply for other jobs during your leave but most of them at that kind of level would not be very open to waiting 3+ months for you to start I don't think.

leighdinglady Tue 10-Oct-17 17:29:15

Legally you can't work and be on maternity leave. Working anymore than the 10 keeping in touch days will cancel maternity leave

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:39:06

I would seek advice OP. If the role is changing so drastically you might be able to come to an arrangement with them whereby you don't return but don't have to pay back the money. Are they running a consultation?

seven201 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:42:35

Are they offering redundancy? As that's quite a drastic role change!

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:37:04

They are asking if people want severance pay or early retirement due to all the cuts being made....More cuts to come!

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:39:09

They keep having meetings to 'update us' and make us feel as if we have a say but ultimately they have made their mind up, not something I want to end up doing but most councils are going that way now.

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:45:20

Ok, thanks, think ile just have to do some dog walking for the last three months then just to tide me over, seems daft when I won't be getting a wage from council for the last 3 months....yeah I know...I've chosen to take a year out and Idealt wanted to go right to december but Im starting maternity leave as early as possible as mi mam has lung and liver cancer and been given 4-6 months (that was 2 month back) so want to spend as much time with her as possible, still want time with mi baby without being skint for 3 months and having to go back to a job I will loath.

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:52:23

Changes are supposed to be finalised october/november and then put into place in April, we really don't have a say and it's their way or the high way, 3 days on 3 off have been discussed and that would go from an 8 hour day to a 10 and a half hour day....not something I could do as my husband works nights and is out of the house from 5.30pm til 7/7.30am so that's still on the cards too, even going part time wouldn't work as they don't do half days they are still full days just less of them. I want to go back into animal care and I know a few places who are always advertising vacancies and im also looking at volunteering one day a week at a dog training centre as they say to try to get a foot in the door and because I love working with dogs and in the outdoors. Really love the gardening side of my job but I've also had a taste of the street cleaning it just isn't for me.

TamTam33 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:59:18

Yes, was hoping to do last 3 months of maternity in a part time job as I won't be getting a wage and then to go back to current place part time for 3 months then leave, they have said they will consider part time for me but staff are getting less and less im worried they won't let me and will want me back full time, ile be stuck in a job I hate and ive done too many of those before. HR are always looking for an excuse to get rid of someone which Is why I haven't mentioned any of this to them?

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:27:06

I really think you should seek advice. You might be better taking the package and coming to an arrangement with them that means you don't have to return. You may be able to get the remainder of your mat pay as a lump sum as part of the agreement them you would be technically unemployed and could do whatever part time work you wanted. I would make an appointment at CAB before you do anything if I were you.

TamTam33 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:45:15

Thanks for the advice, I will do 👍

HolyShmoly Wed 11-Oct-17 09:51:06

I agree with sunshine. If you're with the council I assume you're with a union. It's worth speaking to them as well, although I know they can be hit and miss in terms of how good they are. You may have more options than you think.

seven201 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:28:56

I think the severance pay is really worth investigating. If you've worked here for quite a while you may good a really good deal. They might be willing to negotiate not returning after may leave. Speak to your union, that's what they're for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now