Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So frustrated with hospital consultants!

(5 Posts)
THirdEeye Tue 10-Oct-17 11:16:33

I'm currently 36 wks pregnant and have a few complications so I am consultant led (I'm 40, have GD/fibroids/have had several bleeds).

For the past few weeks, every time I've had an appointment with a consultant (who is different each time) I'm being told something different.

For instance, I was initially told I would have to have an ELCS, then it was better to have a VBAC.

Because of my GD diagnosis, I was then told I would be induced at 40 weeks and last week, l was informed that I would be induced at 38 wks because I'm now on medication for the GD.

I'm getting both frustrated and anxious, because no one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer. I just get told plans for the birth etc, would be discussed by senior consultants.....but then I'm not being informed of the outcome.

Who do I call to find this out? GD midwife? Midwife?

Or do l continue to sit around waiting for a letter?

Arrghhhhhhhhhhh 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Tue 10-Oct-17 11:27:24

That sounds really frustrating op! I would try and speak to someone and maybe put something in writing. Do you know what you want to happen? Do you have a preference re CS, VBAC, induction etc?

I am consultant led too and have my first meeting this week btw so will be watching this thread with interest!

TakeMe2Insanity Tue 10-Oct-17 11:38:25

The best thing to do is have an appointment to see the consultant, then when you get there ask specifically to see the consultant as opposed to the registrar/side kick. Then work on a plan.

THirdEeye Tue 10-Oct-17 11:39:24

I've said that I would prefer an ELCS over an induction due to the fibroids I have. So far they keep saying I would be fine with a VBAC....but are ignoring the fact that l have one near to my cervix hmm.

I'm really frustrated by the fact that no one will tell me anything.....and l am now not scheduled to see a consultant until I'm admitted to hospital.

I'd really appreciate some advice as I'm finding it hard to sleep now.

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Tue 10-Oct-17 11:48:33

I would find a way to get back in touch with them urgently, explain the problems you have been having and state again that you want a CS.

Ask if they follow the NICE guidelines on maternal requests for ELCS. I think under those they should either agree to CS or refer you to someone else, (I'm not a hcp though and not an expert).

What you have described sounds so confusing! I would definitely be kicking up a (small and rational - not weeping, wailing, shouting etc) fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now