Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help- 1st stage of labour

(6 Posts)
espoleta Tue 10-Oct-17 07:59:13

Hi everyone
I need some help and advice from people who have had babies.
I’m 37+4 and I’m pretty sure I lost my mucus plug over the weekend.
Since then I’ve had infrequent low grade period pains.
Last night I woke up at 4 and they were far more intense. I took paracetamol and a hot water bottle back to bed and struggled to sleep from the pain.
I have no data to compare this to, does it sound like I’m in the 1st stage of labour? Also if so and I’m still working should I go into the office? The pain comes in waves and isn’t constant but it’s definitely sore! Also is there a point where you shouldn’t go into the office for Health and safety reason?
Sorry if it’s a bit confused post. I have no data to compare this to so unsure what to do!

LS83 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:21:02

Hi, no it doesn't sound like you're in the first stage of labour but you may be in the latent phase. How often are the waves coming? Is there a pattern to them? As for work- only go in if you feel up to it x

espoleta Tue 10-Oct-17 08:35:24

Thanks for the response. Sorry I meant latent phase not 1st phase!
I would say that at the moment the pain I’m getting a more intense pain but I wouldn’t say there is a regular rhythm yet. It’s also moved from more my back to my tummy.

When the pain hits I feel like there is no way I should be going to work, but once it wears off I completely think I can do it so I’m completely in two minds about going!

mindutopia Tue 10-Oct-17 10:54:17

How regularly are you getting these pains? I had my first at 37+5. For me, it started with period type cramps several days before that were constant, literally like my period was coming on. That lasted a few hours and then went away. The morning I went into labour, it was period like cramps, but they were more episodic, every few minutes with a break in between when I felt fine. But still really mild (I was comfortable enough at that point I could have gone to work, but I knew I was in labour as my waters went first before period cramps started that morning so it was a bit more obvious for me). Within about 2 hours, it got more intense, still period like cramps but intense ones and they were coming every 5-6 minutes for 50 seconds each. So I knew I was definitely in labour (also obviously because my waters had gone). I would time them and see how regularly they are coming and how long they are lasting. If it's every 10 minutes or less, lasting more than about 30 seconds, and doing that consistently, I would personally stay home. It may just be false labour, but have some water, try to rest and see how you feel. If it keeps up, it's more likely to be the real thing. I never even had any obvious BH though, so if I was feeling something like you describe, I would most certainly just take it easy and stay at home.

Afreshstartplease Tue 10-Oct-17 10:56:03

Sounds like your body is getting ready. I would not be going in work

espoleta Thu 12-Oct-17 08:16:25

Thanks ladies. Still no further progression. Felt fine Tuesday night the woke up with lower back pain last night so feeling like these might be false starts...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now