Talk

Advanced search

Give me your best drinking excuses!

(23 Posts)
Chudasama89 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:20:32

Hi,
So I've got my best friend's birthday this weekend and she's planned a big clubbing night out in town, lots of dancing, lots of drinking and out till about 3am...!
I've just checked my calendar and the night we go out is the day before my missed period. I'm planning on doing an early PT that morning and if I get that BFP (fingers crossed!) then I need a back up excuse as to why I can't drink on the night out.
They won't believe I'm dieting/detoxing and I can't be "hungover" as we're going out on Fri night and they know I don't drink on a weeknight. I could try just drinking coke or lemonade and say it's got vodka in, the only problem is, when we go out we usually do a few shots across the night too so I'm not sure how I would refuse them (as I wouldn't normally!) and my friends sometimes will buy a round in and I don't know how to get past that.
If I do get a bfp then there is absolutely no way I will have even just a small wine spritzer that I would sip all night. I had a mc this year in Feb at 9weeks 5days so if I do get the bfp before I go out, then I don't want to risk anything, not even a small sip of alcohol.
Please help me ladies, I'm stressing out about this night out and it may turn out that I'm not even pg lol! But just in case I am, what's your best/unique/foolproof excuse for not drinking in early pregnancy?
Thanks,
Claire xxx

OutToGetYou Tue 10-Oct-17 07:25:24

Anti biotics. There is one - metronidazole or something - you really can't drink with, it makes you throw up. I'd say that. Or say you're ttc and need all the help you can get, or just in case.... Or don't go.

Chudasama89 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:47:04

Brilliant thank you. And wow that was a very quick reply!!
I'm going to research the metronidazole and see what medical problems I've now developed to be "taking" it lol. Just so my little lie has some story to back it up haha!

peanutbutter310 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:51:18

At this time of year you can say you're doing go sober for October.

Lucille3 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:56:25

Antibiotics & really bad UTI? I used that one, stops people asking too many questions and explained frequent trips to the loo!

Also, funny when months later you fess up and say 'remember when I told you I had that UTI...'

Sharl2017 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:03:54

I had a water infection and was on anti biotics this weekend lol.
I did a thread last week and everyone said anti biotics is the least believable excuse because it's so obvious but if you have a look on my thread you might get some other ideas.
Good luck & fingers crossed for your BFP flowers

thingymaboob Tue 10-Oct-17 08:20:28

You might not get your BFP. Even so, It won't make any difference if you are that pregnant and you drink. I was really "premenstual" and was convinved that I wasn't pregnant (3 days before AF due) and I drank a lot of wine the night before I got my BFP. Lots of women drink unknowingly before they realise they're pregnant. If you're concerned just drink a little less and don't get absolutely hammered.

thingymaboob Tue 10-Oct-17 08:24:26

I do respect that you won't want to drink but if you don't get your BFP then go and enjoy yourself! TTC is so stressful and you don't want added stress and you seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I was the same after I MCd but the month I thought "f*#k it!" I got my BFP. I was so sick of what ifs and planning my life around what I thought was an impending BFP

koalab Tue 10-Oct-17 08:25:19

I found it easier to pretend I was drinking. Order a vodka and orange but it's just orange for example. Or if there is a bottle of wine going round. Pour a small glass in front of everyone and pretend to sip it. After a while no one will notice how much you haven't drunk.

Changerofname987654321 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:26:03

No one will believe the antibiotics story. Sorry

Either Stopoctober or just tell them. Do they know about your miscarriage? Just explain the situation to them and I am sure they will be very supportive.

TTC after a miscarriage is emotionally draining and supportive friends will help you through those worrying first 3 months.

Thirtyrock39 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:28:29

Agree the antibiotics is a giveaway !! I'd just get soft drinks and pretend there's spirits in there ...or stoptober! I can remember having to take tiny sips then when nobody was watching ,pouring my drink away into an abandoned glass !!

AccrualIntentions Tue 10-Oct-17 08:31:39

Sober for October is a good idea because then you don't have to think of any excuses for the rest of the month either.

LikeTheShoes Tue 10-Oct-17 08:34:09

When I was on metronidazole (mostly used for Bacterial Vaginosis -although I had it for a throat infection) there is no way I could have gone out clubbing, I felt like I was dead. (Although BV is a good conversation killer!)

You could tell people you're trying to cut down because you're worried about your binge drinking?

catsarenice Tue 10-Oct-17 08:34:12

Antibiotics is a definite giveaway! I pretended that I'd got wasted the night before and couldn't face alcohol. Said I might have one a bit later but obviously never did.

gentlydoesit89 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:38:35

Another here saying the antibiotics idea probably won't work. I genuinely was on antibiotics this weekend and couldn't drink and I got asked no less than 10 times was I pregnant.. I'd probably go with Stoptober myself.

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Tue 10-Oct-17 10:16:20

Agree with koalab. It's easier to pretend you are drinking. Order a drink with alcohol (vodka and orange for example) in front of everyone at the start, nurse it for ages and then leave it somewhere. Then decline drinks from anyone else and make sure you've always got a plain orange juice in your hand. By the time they've all had a few, I'm sure they won't notice or care what you're drinking!

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Tue 10-Oct-17 10:21:14

Agree that people always assume you're pregnant even if genuinely on antibiotics. I'm guilty of inwardly making that assumption myself; recently a friend came on a girls' weekend away and couldn't drink anything due to metronidazole. I didn't say anything but did wonder if she was pregnant! Then she took some metronidazole in front of me.

Stoptober might work, but people will probably pressure you a bit "oh it's my birthday", "surely you can have a night off" etc. I was off alcohol for lent when were ttc dc1, (and I actually did fall pregnant with dc1 during lent). People knew something was up. This time I pretended to drink alcohol in front of people (tonic water instead of g&t) and nobody noticed at all.

Cat2991 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:13:57

Metronidazole makes you crazy sick of you drink on it so that’s a good one! You get it for dental problems often if they ask what for. I had them for an abcess

sycamore54321 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:25:50

This sounds trite but just don't drink and don't address why. Order a coke or sparkling water with no comment, no explanation. And if someone is rude enough to ask you insistingly, turn it back on them and ask why they want to know or what it matters to them.

Elaborate ruses, made-up excuses etc all seem silly to me. I'm not a huge drinker but the above worked for me. If they outright ask if you're pregnant, say something like "if I was and if I wanted people to know, I would tell them".

I know how stressful pregnancy or trying after miscarriage can be. Don't add more stress with a complicated cover-up. There is of course a chance that nobody will ask at all.

Best wishes.

ImogenTubbs Tue 10-Oct-17 17:33:34

I usually order one glass of red wine and take a few tiny sips (or pretend to). I did this with DD1 several times and no one noticed. I've also done the thing where I just get a tonic water and pretend it's a g&t. That sometimes means you have to stump up and buy a round! I'm in the early days of pg at the moment and had a dinner out last week - fortunately the restaurant bought me chilled red wine so when a few people asked I just said I was waiting for it to warm up. They lost interest after a while. Think one of my friends may have sussed but she was too polite to say!

T00ManyB00ks Tue 10-Oct-17 18:57:51

Say you’ve got cystitis and alcohol makes it worse! Can’t argue with that.

JennyBlueWren Tue 10-Oct-17 21:32:12

You've been challenged to do "Go Sober for October" www.gosober.org.uk/
If out with work colleagues it was a challenge by a friend. If with friends "everyone's doing it at work".

I don't always drink that much (or go out) anyway but before I announced I was out for work drinks and someone else was doing a Sober September thing (I did half wonder if she was pregnant as I'd never heard of it). I think they assumed I was doing it too.

Antibiotics is a common one too -explains those "appointments" you've been having.

eeanne Wed 11-Oct-17 01:24:42

I ordered tonic water or cranberry juice and let others assume there was gin or vodka in. A few times I said I was on a low carb diet.

IMO antibiotics is a dead giveaway, might as well just say you're pregnant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now