Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Which Pregnacare?

(23 Posts)
Sharl2017 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:07:59

Hi ladies, I rang the midwife today to arrange my booking in appointment. I told her I was already taking folic acid but she's recommended changing to Pregnacare as it has other things in it which will help along with the folic acid.
I've had a look but there's so many different types... original.. max... plus omega 3.
Which ones the best to take? I can make any sense out of it but that could be because of how tired I am!

Loosemoose28 Mon 09-Oct-17 23:54:01

Any or seven seas is cheaper. Im still using my conception ones as bought 3 for 2.

NeverForgotten Mon 09-Oct-17 23:56:04

Be careful. Pregnacare makes a lot of pregnant women sick and nauseated.

Bobbiepin Tue 10-Oct-17 00:01:06

I've taken the original one the whole way through with no problems. I do find that the free sample packs taste rank though. Technically they are the same as the ones you buy but I can definitely taste the difference!

INeedNewShoes Tue 10-Oct-17 00:03:32

Pregnacare isn't necessary and is full of crap.

Folic acid and vitamin D are now both recommended by the NHS.

Seven Seas pregnancy multivitamin made my stomach squiffy but I know women who have got on well with it.

Because I was very nauseous in pregnancy and I know vitamin B can help with this I searched for other multivitamins to cover folic acid, vitamin D and B and found Wild Nutrition pregnancy multivitamins. They're pricey but worth it as they're all food based so the nutrients are readily absorbed and they don't have nasties in them.

Mrstobe90 Tue 10-Oct-17 01:38:15

I take the original ones and the only issue they caused for me was fluorescent yellow wee! Lol
It’s pretty common with pregnacare.

Topsyloulou Tue 10-Oct-17 03:02:16

Just take folic acid and vitamin D separately. It's much cheaper & won't make you feel nauseous like pregnacare does. You only need to take folic acid for the first trimester & then vitamin D all the way through.

Sharl2017 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:59:37

Fab thank you ladies. She said to check the folic acid I had was for pregnancy and not just general? I assumed it would be the same thing so I need to check that then will get some vitamin d and any other vitamins that seem appropriate smile

CherriesInTheSnow Tue 10-Oct-17 08:02:24

Ew I can't take Pregnacare it makes me very poorly, and took me ages to realise it was the Pregnacare that was doing it with my first!

Try the same company's Ferroglobin, it has iron, B vits and folic acid and iron, I take a teaspoon 3 x a day which will cover your needs, and is much gentler on the stomach.

I also take a separate calcium and vitamin D supplement but they don't say that is necessary in pregnancy.

CherriesInTheSnow Tue 10-Oct-17 08:02:59

Sorry -I mean the liquid version of Ferroglobin!

CherriesInTheSnow Tue 10-Oct-17 08:04:05

Oh sorry they do say Vit D, - get a calcium and vit D supplement separate from your B vits and iron supplement and you will feel much better ;)

P.s. sorry to spam your thread....

Sharl2017 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:13:32

😂 thank you cherries

mummabubs Tue 10-Oct-17 08:18:56

Exactly what Topsy said. Your midwife is saying some rather odd things though OP- as long as you check the dosage of supermarket folic acid is the same as the recommended dose on the NHS website there is literally 0% difference between the folic acid in the supermarket tablets that cost about 60p a bottle and the folic acid you'll find in 'pregnancy' multivits that cost ten times the amount!!

StylishDuck Tue 10-Oct-17 08:26:14

I take a supermarket own brand of pregnancy vitamin. It’s much cheaper and I’ve taken it for 6 months with non nausea issues. I went for the multivitamin because it had iron in it and I was anaemic the last time I was pregnant so trying to stop that happening again.

I believe the advice now is to continue taking folic acid all through pregnancy. Though it is most important in the first trimester.

Lilypad78 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:37:44

Seems strange for your midwife to recommend one particular brand unless she's on commission for them. I take healthy start vitamins for pregnant women which I think are given to women who qualify for other healthy start things such as grants & milk/fruit vouchers. I don't qualify but my midwife gives them out for free to all patients. Might be worth checking if yours has any or I'm sure I saw another poster say they bought them at boots?

Sharl2017 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:42:22

I thought it was weird but figured she knew what she was on about and I didn't ha. I'll make a note of everything in Pregnacare and do some research and buy something else. I don't want to risk feeling and sicker than I already do envy

Thank you all for your recommendations!

thecapitalsunited Tue 10-Oct-17 08:45:42

I went for a preconception chat with my doctor last week to get extra folic acid prescribed due to my weight. She told me not to bother with Pregnacare and just get own brand stuff as it was the same. I got some from Superdrug.

user1499169579 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:47:08

I take the max version.
I took the extra omega one last time.
I took the conception version for two months before concieving each time.
Boots do 3 for 2 offers.
I don't feel ill at all.
My skin is good, my nails and hair also.
I'm 40 next month. So want to get all the help I can!
There are other brands obviously.
But I can't see that this one isn't a good option.

NanooCov Tue 10-Oct-17 09:11:52

Bit naughty of her to push a particular brand. Pregnacare never made me sick but I like my vits from Cytoplan. They often have them on special offer and you can take them through conception, pregnancy and post birth.
https://www.cytoplan.co.uk/pregna-plan

AnUtterIdiot Tue 10-Oct-17 09:15:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

INeedNewShoes Tue 10-Oct-17 10:03:27

Actually I forgot to mention that it's better to take folate than folic acid. Not all women can metabolise in the form of folic acid where as folate is the original state so easily absorbed.

NeverForgotten Tue 10-Oct-17 16:14:49

From my pregnancies I have learnt; be careful to avoid vitamin A in pregnancy. 400mg of folic acid per day unless you have a higher bmi (too much or two little can cause birth defects) confused. Keep well hydrated . Iron supplements (use vitamin c with for absorbing) can work either way causing constipation or diarrhoea. Cut down on caffeine.

shortcake76 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:20:20

Ive purchased the Pregnacare Max today - not taking the first tablets yet, but will start tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: