Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried I’ve miscarried? Advice please!

(13 Posts)
webster144 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:22:40

Hi everyone, really could do with some advice and support here. I’m a little under 6 weeks pregnant, everything was going fine and then a few days ago I woke up during the night needing to pee and when I wiped it was brown. Every time I’ve gone to the toilet since it’s been brown when wiping (no red fresh blood). I then started getting some brown discharge and cramping, spreading into my back and causing nasty backache.

I was in work yesterday and the pain got so bad I had to phone NHS 24 as I was totally panicking. The lady referred me to my local out of hours service (as this was Sunday) and told me to get down there and get seen. After a lengthy wait and my cramps and aches mainly subsiding, I was seen and examined by a female GP but no blood was taken but I did do a urine test and confirmed pregnant and no infection or blood in urine etc. She referred me for an early pregnancy scan 3 days away and told me to go home and rest.

That evening I went to the loo to pass a stool (sorry, TMI) and as I’m suffering from quite bad constipation due to pregnancy hormones found myself straining quite hard. Next thing I know a long black clot pops out. No blood, just the clot on it’s own. About 3-4cm in length and quite thin/long, I ran out the bathroom crying to my partner who was also deeply upset and the two of us stood staring at it panicking. The clot is NOT grey, or pink or resemble any sort of tissue, it was almost black in colour and there was no blood. I have not bled anything since, and there has been no blood but still when I go to the toilet I’m still passing brown spotting on tissue when wiping.

I phoned my EPU unit and the midwife didn’t seem to concerned, she said the brown spotting is old blood that I’m seeing and as for the long black clot it could be a sub chronic haematoma related.

Has as anyone else suffered with this and gone on to have a normal ultrasound/pregnancy? My early ultrasound isn’t for another 2 days and I’m worrying myself sick with possibilities. I don’t have any abdominal cramping anymore but my backache is still quite present. I haven’t taken any medication for it though, as I would rather try to all natural as much as I can.

Any advice or positive stories would be very much appreciated as I’m feeling so down and worried that it was indeed a miscarriage, I’m very 50/50 right now.

Thansk so much x

Shehz21 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:29:41

Oh OP you have my total symphathy for panicking but you really shouldn't!
You have described exactly what I went through in my early pregnancy and I am 16weeks today with a safe and sound bubba!
I had horrible backpain and lots of brown discharge(along with nasty bits/clots) between week 6-9 and was referred to EPU the 1st time I had it. They can't do anything much until the day of your scan so please try and relax and be positive.
But when I went for my scan which was scheduled at 7w, I even got to see a heartbeat!
Please don't beat yourself up and until its bright red blood accompanied by cramps, you can really just breathe !
Crossing fingers and toes for you to have a healthy pregnancy!

clarebear1983 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:34:12

I had lots of brown bleeding/spotting in my last pregnancy. Although a cause was never found (healthy almost 2 year old now!) I believe it was probably down to being constipated. If you've irritated your cervix,which is now really vascular, there's a good chance it's clotted prior and straining on the loo was enough to dislodge the clot. A bit gross I know but black would suggest it's quite old.

I also had horrible cramps/stomach pain during early pregnancy in both of mine (21 weeks pregnant now) and again it was down to constipation. Don't underestimate how much trouble pregnancy causes with your bowels!

I'll keep everything crossed for your scan but honestly, there's a really good chance everything is absolutely fine.

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Mon 09-Oct-17 16:36:13

Sympathies op! What a panic.

I have had bleeding and abdominal cramps in both pregnancies. Not what you're describing, but red blood both times. Dc1 is now 2y10mo and I'm 24 weeks tomorrow with dc2 who is kicking away. It is very scary though. I really thought I'd miscarried this time, at about 6 weeks too, but all was fine.

user1499786242 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:36:52

First pregnancy I had bleeding twice, both times in the first trimester..
Was brown spotting and sometimes pink with abit of red blood
Had two early scans and they couldn't find any reason for it and it was just 'one of those things' had a perfect pregnancy and a healthy full term baby

Second pregnancy I had brown spotting that turned to pink then turned to red blood
Had bad period like cramps
And that ended in a miscarriage

Am pregnant again about 5/6 weeks and I'm just waiting for the bleeding/spotting to start

It's awful!

But basically every pregnancy and person is so different, it doesn't always mean the worst but it can

I think the best thing to do is just try to stay as comfortable as you can and try to keep distracted until you have your scan then they should be able to see what's going on!

Good luck! flowers

webster144 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:20:10

Thankyou for the supportive comments everyone, it has cheered me up a fair bit and has given me some hope. Thankyou Shehz21 for the lovely first comment flowers

My scan is Wednesday afternoon and I’ll be sure to leave a little comment with an update!

Nakashima Wed 11-Oct-17 15:14:57

Hi webster144, I'm 4 weeks' pregnant and too woke up to brownish discharge this morning and very faint period like cramps. I've been to my GP, had some bloods taken and then I'm in for an early scan and another blood test Friday morning. This is my first pregnancy and I'm so worried too. I hope this afternoon has gone ok for you x

webster144 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:53:48

Hi to those who replied to my original post, and to those just finding this thread.
I went for my early ultrasound today (an internal), and was devastated to find out they couldn’t find anything, not even a sac. All they found was a lousy cyst on my right ovary.
The have given me three possibilities, it’s either too early to see anything, it’s an eptopic pregnancy or I did indeed miscarry the other day when the clot passed.
I am so upset, I was trying to be so positive and it was really not what I was expecting, I was at least hoping to see something that I could cling on to.
Any advice would be so appreciated, I feel like I’ve googled everything and looked through hundreds of threads and I’m hearing some positive and some negative.

Any positive advice or thoughts would be much appreciated sad x

webster144 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:55:29

Also forgot to mention in my previous comment, they’ve taken blood from me to measure hormones and want me back in 48 hours for more blood and also another scan, I’m meant to be 6 weeks tomorrow apparently. I’m hoping this is all a miscalculation and I’m just a lot earlier than I thought...
Trying to stay positive....sad

gamerpigeon Wed 11-Oct-17 18:22:58

Stay positive, it’s still very early in your pregnancy and it’s easy to get confused with dates.

Crossing fingers that your blood work shows an increase in hcg xxx

Shehz21 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:06:34

Aww Webster I felt my heart breaking for you while reading your post. Really do understand how hard it must all seem right now but try and stay positive until you get the results of your blood works.
Like gamer pigeon said its easy to mess up with dates so you might be even earlier than you thought.
Crossing fingers for you xx

Cat1980uk Wed 11-Oct-17 19:52:04

I had 4 visits to EPU before 12 weeks due to period pains, brown spotting some of it heavy. I'd had a miscarriage Christmas Day just gone and I was terrified it was happening again. It all stopped at just before 12 weeks and here I am now 37 weeks pregnant having my little boy next week. Do not give up hun. I thought it was all over especially as it kept happening and I had a lot of period type pains some bad. Keep hopeful and drink loads of water as I was told the brown can be worse if dehydrated so I started drink 2 litres everyday and gave up all caffiene including chocolate until 20 weeks as I read that can cause problems. Good luck hun xx

Cat1980uk Wed 11-Oct-17 19:54:00

Forgot to say my first scan at just under 5 weeks due to suspected ectopic they could see nothing. They had me back a week later and found a small sac and yolk but no heartbeat. Nothing was found heartbeat wise until the following week at 7 weeks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now