Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Am I in trouble?

(11 Posts)
Namechanger2735 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:18:22

I've been signed off for the past two weeks with hyperemesis, was due to go back to work today but have had problems with my blood pressure that mean I won't be. (waiting for a call back from my doctor now and may be signed off again)
Work seem really shitty with me about it. I can't get hold of work so I let my manager know personally, "please inform work as I am not there" so I had to leave a message with work, "please call us after you've spoken to your doctor to update us". I feel like they're not very sensitive to the fact I'm genuinely not well and them pestering me and being off when I do hear from them makes me think my manager may be nearing the end of her tether. Could I be dismissed for not working even though I've been signed off?

SSF8 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:27:43

Don’t worry! Sickness in pregnancy shouldn’t count on your sickness record. (Or at least it doesn’t for me. I work for NHS) managers aren’t usually very sympathetic, I’m now on my third week off due to both morning sickness and I’ve been bleeding since I was 12 weeks pregnant. My manager gives off mixed signals every time I speak to her. They’re usually just under a lot of staffing pressure and forget how to be a “friend” concentrate on you and baby. You don’t need to be worrrying about Work and what people think too!! And I hope you feel better soonflowers

owltrousers Mon 09-Oct-17 14:29:52

I'm sorry your work are being like this OP! flowers

I'm pretty sure they would not risk dismissing you for a pregnancy related absence while you are pregnant however - they'd be in for a tough time if they did from a legal standpoint. Being a bit arsy is probably all they've got.

Namechanger2735 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:30:32

Ive felt really light headed all day, even when I'm sitting down I feel like I'm going to faint. 111 told me to go to A&E but it would mean driving myself and taking your DD with me so I don't feel comfortable doing that, I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back now but if he can't see me today or doesn't sign me off I'm worried that il be in trouble for being off work when my fit note has expired

Namechanger2735 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:31:12

my DD

SSF8 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:34:13

If you explain that to your doctor. I’m sure he will give you another sick note, even if it’s just to cover the extra days you’ve had off. If you don’t feel ready to go back to work, then your doctor should understand that and give you another note no problem x

owltrousers Mon 09-Oct-17 14:34:58

Can you get someone to look after your DD and drive you to A&E OP? or get a taxi there? Sounds nasty.

Try to put work out of your head for the time being and focus on getting some help.

Sarahh2014 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:38:38

Make sure any sicknotes state it's pregnancy related they haven't got a leg to stand on then as it can't be included in sickness days I know from experience

DancingLedge Mon 09-Oct-17 14:49:46

Darling namechanger if you're pregnant, lightheaded, and 111 has told you to go to A and E, this is the issue you need to focus on..
The fit note / off work in pregnancy will get sorted, in due course.
How will you get to Dr, if they ring back and give you appointment? Taxi?DH? Friend? Family? Neighbour? You can and must ask for help, nearly everyone would be happy to give a lift to a pregnant woman in need of medical attention. And if no Dr appointment, yes, you must go to A & E.
Best of luck.

Namechanger2735 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:37:54

Thank you for your replies everyone.
Been to see my GP, blood pressure is 143 over 121 (picture attached for those who, like me are far from medically minded). Will be reviewed again at midwife appointment tomorrow and book in for a telephone appointment with gp after that to discuss what's next, signed off for this week x

DancingLedge Mon 09-Oct-17 16:48:28

Glad you've been seen, try and rest as much as is humanly possible with DD to look after.
flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: