Talk

Advanced search

Routine Pregnancy Tests

(10 Posts)
xagirlwholovesglitterx Mon 09-Oct-17 11:17:59

hi all 👋🏻
i just wanted peoples honest opinions (that being said i wont tolerate people posting nasty comments about my choices)...

ive got the biggest phobia of blood. im due to have my 28 weeks routine full blood count this week. infact the midwife wanted me to have them done today but felt it wasnt the best idea with my 3 year old in the room with me. i pass out terribly and physically sick and gives me such a bad head for the rest of the day... anyway this is my second child and had the first lot done. where i was very close to passing out, falling off the chair and i was sick so not the nicest experiance. it worries me sick if im being honest. now i wanted to know if anyone has refused these ones because theyre testing for the same things again. im not sure whether to do it or think about the fact i dont want to pass out and fall of the chair cos neither of them are going to be good for baby. my bloods have always come back fine in anything ive ever had done, the only time they were concerned was the first ones in this pregnancy where my iron levels were slightly low so they tested them and they turned out fine. baby is moving more than my first pregnancy with my daughter he is extremely active this baby. what would you all suggest personally?

thankyou smile

Mummyme87 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:02:08

I would strongly suggest you have them. Just because bloods have been okay previously doesn't mean they will always be okay. Low platelets is potentially life threatening and anyone can develop antibodies at any time in their life, particularly pregnancy

Oysterbabe Mon 09-Oct-17 12:07:37

I think you should have them, it's important to check your iron levels amongst other things. Can you ask to lie on the bed? My midwife offers that for people who struggle.

xagirlwholovesglitterx Mon 09-Oct-17 12:22:44

thankyou both for replying!
i dont think it helps that at the hospital they put you in a chair that does lie back but its one of these box rooms that are so small you can feel the heat the second you go in. i dont know whether to book and have them done with my midwife instead as she did suggest today i could lie on the bed... but i did right i think today in refusing them purely for the fact my daughter was there and that id walked to the drs with her so if i was to suddenly feel funny and collapse... that was my main concern really.

so theyre just checking for the same things antibodies i think it says on the form... xx

AnUtterIdiot Mon 09-Oct-17 12:39:30

No, have them again. The longer a pregnancy goes on and the bigger the baby gets the more demand is placed on your body and the more likely you are to struggle with vitamin levels etc. I found out that I was iron deficient (and borderline for gestational diabetes) at 28 weeks even though every blood test I have ever had in my life has come back normal or better than normal. It's really important to have the bloods now to make sure you know if you need any supplements for the last bit of your pregnancy. I am really sorry that it's so horrible for you to have bloods taken though and I am sure I'd want to avoid it in your situation.

Mummyme87 Mon 09-Oct-17 13:00:34

Agree today was not the day for it but definitely get them. Full blood count and antibodies are really important

DeadDoorpost Mon 09-Oct-17 13:08:25

Also agree you should have them done. I'm not as bad as you but hate having my bloods taken as I have very deep veins and it routinely takes at least 2 midwives to try and find them. At my 28 weeks I thought I'd be fine but turns out my iron count was extremely low. I'm glad they caught it as I don't want the same problems my mother had giving birth to me.
Is there any way you can cope with the tests at all? I find I only get lightheaded if I close my eyes/don't see the blood/hum under my breath but if I somehow manage to see what's going on then I feel a lot worse and need to sit down and recover a bit. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that might at least help a little bit

KadabrasSpoon Mon 09-Oct-17 13:08:29

Please have the tests. Some aggressive antibodies were picked up around the 30 week mark in my second pregnancy. Without that I dread to think what could have happened.
It's horrible when you have a phobia though. Can you work on some techniques to help? Some staff are really good at distracting you if they know you find it difficult.

clarebear1983 Mon 09-Oct-17 15:15:46

I don't really like needles, I used to be terrible but having my first baby has desensitised me a bit. I would recommend booking your bloods with the health assistant or phlebotomist at your GP surgery. They do blood tests day in day out so are the best ones in making it quick and painless in my experience.

I don't faint anymore but I found it actually helped having my toddler with me this time round as I put on a brave face and tried to act normal so he wasn't scared which helped make it much more drama free!

Definitely have them though, they are too important to miss.

cakesandphotos Mon 09-Oct-17 17:02:18

Insist you lie down. I always feel slightly guilty when the nurse has to unload all the stuff off the bed but I know what will happen if I don’t! Make sure you eat before you go. Maybe take some of those lucozade tablets with you in case you get dizzy. DRink plenty too and explain to the midwife that you’re anxious and you usually feel unwell afterwards. They will do everything they can for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now