Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Keeping in touch days

(11 Posts)
Lovingtyrells Mon 09-Oct-17 10:23:39

How long are/did you go for the keeping in touch days after having your baby? Did you take the baby in too?

TwinkleStars15 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:45:57

You get paid for keeping in touch days so I'd doubt very much you'd be able to take baby in..... I guess every employer is different to some extent, buy my understanding is that even if you only go in for 1 hour (team meeting, for example) then that is one of your keeping in touch days used, or you go in for the whole day. However your employer will only pay you for how many hours you do. Other than that I'm not that clued up yet as my lo is only 3 months so trying to not think about it just yet!

sleepseeker99 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:05:19

It depends on your HR policy. At my company you are absolutely not expected to spend the whole day. Usually 1-3 hours. Sometimes with baby but without if you can. Regardless you get paid for the whole day.

Check with you HR policy. At my company you are not expected to be able to find childcare as you are on mat leave however it makes the kit day more valuable if you can as then you can do trying etc. There was never any pressure on me to not bring baby though.

sleepseeker99 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:06:20

*training not trying!

AccrualIntentions Mon 09-Oct-17 11:07:48

I plan to use mine, but quite close to my return to work date. It's completely up to me whether I'm only in for a few hours or a whole day, but I will only be paid for the actual hours worked (but would still count as one of the 10 days). It's not usual practice at my workplace to bring the baby, it wouldn't be appropriate.

Frisbeefreedom Mon 09-Oct-17 11:16:32

My plan is to save them for the end of maternity leave, when I'll be on unpaid leave, to get the maximum out of the pay! Here I get paid for the whole day, no matter how long I'm in for, but it depends on your employer's policies.

squadronleader87 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:28:39

My employer pays for the whole day, even if just an hour is worked. I wouldn't normally count something as a KiT day if the employee brought the baby in but this probably depends on what type of work it is.

Cracklesfire Mon 09-Oct-17 21:10:10

Where I work if you're still being paid enhanced mat leave pay then you won't be paid for KIT days so it would only be financially beneficial to do them after 6 months. I've never heard of anyone coming in to do one with their baby though.

ImogenTubbs Tue 10-Oct-17 17:38:56

I took my baby in once for a meeting with my super-chilled and supportive boss. Any other KIT days, where I joined training or larger meetings, I arranged childcare.

2014newme Tue 10-Oct-17 17:39:51

My company never has people do kit days. They don't have to.

Lovingtyrells Wed 11-Oct-17 19:57:06

My company want me to start after 2months

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: