Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How long would you leave it if you bled heavily after sex?

(5 Posts)
RedBlackberries Mon 09-Oct-17 07:35:51

I had a heavy bleed after sex last week at 12 weeks pregnant. A scan showed all was well with baby but it's scared me. Obviously I'm not thinking about it yet but what's a reasonable time to wait? I'm feeling like I'm put off for the rest of pregnancy but I guess/hope that'll change.

mindutopia Mon 09-Oct-17 12:23:05

Do you mean to have sex again? With my first I had a heavy bleed around 10 weeks (not after sex, I just bleed in pregnancy because I have cervical erosion, which is harmless, but just causes the bleeding). We didn't try again til I was 20+ weeks, maybe closer to 26 weeks. It was so uncomfortable. I don't know if this is your first or not, but I find sex once I get further along really unpleasant. It was definitely not an experience either of us were keen to have again. We didn't try after that one time at 20ish weeks until after our daughter was born.

This time around I had quite a lot of 1st tri bleeding (about 2 weeks of it 7-9 weeks), again because of my cervix. Baby is fine. I'm 22 weeks now. But I've had a miscarriage in the past, before this pregnancy and I've just had enough of bleeding in pregnancy so we've not even tried. I'm not sure we will until after baby arrives again.

Very likely your bleeding was also from your cervix. It's very common in pregnancy. But I've had enough of it this past year with the miscarriage that it's just not appealing really for me. But it really is harmless and there's no reason not to try if you can get past the fact that it can be stressful. Cervical bleeding tends to be worse in 1st tri though, so if you can wait a few weeks and try again before you get too big and uncomfortable, it might give you back some confidence with it. But honestly, it's okay to not feel alright about it either, and if your partner is a good guy, he'll understand.

bespawler Mon 09-Oct-17 12:58:33

I bled after sex at 8 weeks and at 12 weeks in my first pregnancy. Apparently it's quite common to bleed after sex if it's around the time that your period would normally be due. Something to do with your cervix but I can't remember what. I spoke to my midwife about it and she made me feel a lot better about it all.

RedBlackberries Mon 09-Oct-17 18:34:57

Thanks for the replies. My midwife also said it was probably from the cervix but I was too embarrassed to ask when sex would be safe. It's not something I'm thinking about any time soon after that experience!!

It's my second pregnancy but I didn't get this first time round so we just had regular sex throughout pregnancy.

I'm really not asking because I'm desperate to resume a sex life (far from it)!

annlee3817 Mon 09-Oct-17 23:24:35

I was told do abstain until my 20 week scan and then see, but I ended up having other issues post 20 weeks, so sex went out of the window until I got to around 37 weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: