Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ketones, breach and ?pe. It's just not my day!

(14 Posts)
DollyLlama Sun 08-Oct-17 17:04:13

So I went to triage on Friday as have sudden breathlessness and chest pain. Had a few tests and was told I have sinus tachycardia and a suspected blood clot on the lung. I'm on clexane injections and due back tomorrow for an VQ scan.

I was looking through my red book and noticed the midwife had written that the baby was breach and that I have ketones ++ in my urine which is both news to me as nothing was mentioned!

As far as I understand, breach babies still have time to turn at this stage (I'm 35+1) but what about the ketones? I understand that is from either starvation, dehydration or GD but I eat loads, drink gallons and my GD came back clear about a month ago!

Can anyone shed any light on this as I'm already a bit frazzled the the suspected blood clot, let alone anything else!

sycamore54321 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:07:46

It sounds like very poor communication by your hospital. I don't mean to alarm but if I were you, I'd prepare for the possibility of induction or c-section tomorrow, or admission for observation. So have your bag packed, etc. Of course, it might not be anything but with mounting complications at almost term, they might feel it is safer to deliver the baby.

Can you telephone the hospital today to ask them to talk through your diagnosis if you are still worried?

DollyLlama Sun 08-Oct-17 17:16:38

Thanks for the reply Sycamore. I don't want to call as I think I annoyed them by refusing admission on Friday. I have a 2.5 year old to look after and I know they couldn't do much over the weekend anyway.

I do hope everything is fine, the last thing I need is an earlier than planned baby, I'm so underprepared it's shocking! Although I'll take note and pack a bag to be on the safe side i think sad

confusedlittleone Sun 08-Oct-17 17:31:15

2+ is a borderline level, I had it once during pregnancy and they put it down to the fact Id eaten my weight in a few jellybeans and having alot of extra discharge... however I agree with pp I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to get baby out sooner rather then later although if there's no immediate danger I suspect they'll wait untill you've had both steroid injections. Good luck flowers

DollyLlama Sun 08-Oct-17 17:43:25

Confused - what is it borderline for? Google isn't very helpful and just wondering if I can do a bit more to clear them (other than drinking loads)

I want my weight in jellybeans now grin

asongforthelovers Sun 08-Oct-17 18:50:50

Sounds very similar to me few weeks back.

I went into maternity unit at 38+ weeks with chest pains, right rib and back. I had ketones in ursine too, that was sent to lab and came back ok. We found out baby was transverse (he was the reason for pain) they had to rule out PE so sent me for chest X-ray, I was booked in for induction as refused VQ scan. I was put on fragmin until induced as he went back head down and got VQ scan after birth.

Good luck op

DollyLlama Sun 08-Oct-17 20:07:34

Asong - let's hope my story ends up like yours! Glad you were both ok smile

asongforthelovers Sun 08-Oct-17 20:15:45

Have you been told much of the VQ scan? I refused it as it can increase child cancer, very small chance but I didn’t want to risk it.

I was kept in, was quite stressful last few weeks, I got my results back this morning from VQ and it was clear, thank god.

Keep us posted, hopefully everything ok for you and baby 🙂

DollyLlama Sun 08-Oct-17 20:50:05

Asong- I had to have it done last pregnancy as well due to a pe, but no, no one told me that!

I'll have a word with the doctor tomorrow. Thank you for mentioning that!

asongforthelovers Sun 08-Oct-17 21:07:43

It is an extremely small chance, I refused it though as I was adamant the pain was from the baby being transverse as the pain subsided when he moved.

Hope everything goes ok tomorrow for you.

confusedlittleone Mon 09-Oct-17 21:14:03

How did everything go today? X

DollyLlama Thu 12-Oct-17 17:12:22

I had the tests done and was diagnosed with a clot in my left lung. I refused admission again as I'd rather be at home with my family and although it's serious, if something were to happen, it would happen in either setting which the doctor agreed with me.

I'm now on blood thinners for at least 3 months.

On a good note though, I was told not to worry about he ketones and bub is not actually breach so it could be worse smile

asongforthelovers Thu 12-Oct-17 18:12:32

Aw jeezo @DollyLlama, how are you feeling otherwise, has the pain eased?

Glad bubs isn’t breeched, are they going to let you go into labour on your own?

Hopefully the rest of your pregnancy is plain sailing for use both biscuit

DollyLlama Thu 12-Oct-17 22:31:27

The pain isn't actually the worst thing, it's definitely the breathlessness. But it should all ease up soon fingers crossed!

I also don't know much about the plan with birth etc, I have my last growth scan / consultant appointment on Tuesday. Hopefully he can shed some light for me!

Trying to stay positive though. Just one of those things. Plus it's easier to deal with when you know I guess smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now