Talk

Advanced search

Cystitis... What can I take ?

(19 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 12:37:58

Aside from cranberry juice.

I'm 33 weeks

PandaBear17 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:40:30

Phone 111 out of hours doctor they will get you seen and prescribe you with the right medication for it!! Xx

seven201 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:41:05

You need antibiotics if you've got it properly. If it's very early you should try flushing out with lots of water. Cranberry juice is only good for prevention, it's actually not good once you have it. I've had kidney issues for the last 15 years so I do know what I'm talking about. I had to take antibiotics for most of my third trimester as the uti's just wouldn't shift. I've heard bicarbonate of soda mixed with water as a drink can help a bit. I'd ring out of hours if I were you.

seven201 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:41:33

*could not should

donkir Sun 08-Oct-17 13:06:17

Speak to your midwife. I had a uti at 26 weeks and ended up I. Hospital with the chance of early delivery so needed steroid injections to mature baby’s lungs just in case.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 13:06:50

Yeah, I've had urinary tract problems all my life but since being pregnant haven't had one problem... My test sticks at home do not show anything other than the slightest increase in protein (which again can be normal for me) but I have the "need to constantly pee but it's only a dribble" and burning after urination symptoms which tends to mean something is brewing.

I used to just take sachets at this stage, powder you add to water to dilute your urine and flush you out but I can't remember the name of them!

eurochick Sun 08-Oct-17 13:09:57

Utis can trigger early delivery so you need to get seen.

TulipsInAJug Sun 08-Oct-17 13:10:18

Same as donkir, I had a uti at about 30 weeks and ended up in hospital. It's a lot more serious when you're pregnant. I was having contractions and they were worried about early delivery.

See your doctor. Out of hours if necessary.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 13:12:55

It's only if it hits your kidneys you are at higher risk?

StylishDuck Sun 08-Oct-17 13:16:40

Quite honestly I’d be seeing the doctor for cystitis even if I wasn’t pregnant but you definitely need to get it seen to. I had a horrible bout of cystitis when I was younger that made me so ill I passed out on the bus on the way home from uni.

I had a symptomless UTI at about 20 weeks pregnant that was only picked up during a routine urine test at the midwives. I went to the dr and he said there are specific antibiotics that are safe to take at various stages of pregnancy so you really need proper medical advice.

soberexpat Sun 08-Oct-17 13:18:35

i had bouts of cystitis throughout my pregnancy and my consultant took it very seriously - for reasons mentioned above. i took antibiotics.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 13:28:37

Thanks ladies, and I will get seen if there is no improvement but as mentioned my urine tests are all in normal ranges for me at present so doctor will not prescribe antibiotics anyways.

I am just looking for at home remedies to prevent whatever is brewing from getting worse and presenting itself as a full infection

Xx

curlylocks88 Sun 08-Oct-17 13:31:54

You must go to gp regardless, but try some D-mannose it is brilliant at curbing symptoms. You can order it from Amazon.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 13:33:18

Oh I will if my symptoms persist or get worse.

Solo Sun 08-Oct-17 13:34:40

Bicarbonate of soda. 1 heaped teaspoon of it mixed in a hi ball glass of water every couple of hours. Works for me.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 13:35:33

Oh, thank you. Will try that!

Lozmatoz Sun 08-Oct-17 14:31:04

Cranberry juice prevents, not cures. Drink 2 pints of wAter straight away to ease the pain and get to the docs ASAP.

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 19:46:50

Hydrated all day and avoided sweet things. Seems to have eased up completely. Thank you all x

Mummyme87 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:53:03

Bicarb of soda in water. Disgusting but works

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now