Talk

Advanced search

Makeup / lipsticks etc

(30 Posts)
LadyRenoir Sun 08-Oct-17 08:40:08

After a horrible, horrible first 4 months of pregnancy I finally started feeling really good and the long awaited glow apparently kicked in! And so I wanted to treat myself to some nice makeup as well, got a few lipsticks from MAC and C Tilbury. And then a colleague at work mentioned lipsticks in particular are really bad for the baby.
Obviously I can wait until after the baby is born, but I was wondering if anyone had advise from an actual health professional (I'm only seeing my midwife in two weeks) on this. Internet is full of tales and pseudo-doctors, neither could I find a reliable up-to-date sources with 'safe' makeup.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 08-Oct-17 08:46:22

It's bollocks. Wear your lovely make up with pride! It doesn't get any better once you have a newborn either - everyone has a bloody opinion! Practice saying "How interesting." with the most bored expression you can, and trot it out whenever anyone gives you the benefit of their "wisdom".

mummabubs Sun 08-Oct-17 08:54:41

Utter rubbish... pray tell what's her logic behind that? Does the make-up enter your bloodstream via your lips and then make its way through the placenta to your child??? My advice is look on the NHS website, if it's not there chances are you're alright. I've had this with dyeing my hair, some people still believe it's dangerous even though research to date and the NHS website both quote it as posing no danger to baby. Wear your lipstick with pride OP!!

Celticlassie Sun 08-Oct-17 09:09:05

Absolute nonsense. People are dicks. Especially when you’re pregnant.

LadyRenoir Sun 08-Oct-17 09:11:08

Supposedly some lipsticks contain traces of lead (which I do know was quite common in the past) which later on can accumulate in the body, knowing how we actually eat some of that lipstick.
I would assume most of this would concern the cheap lipsticks made God only knows where and sold on ebay for 10 for pound, like the toxic fake MAC lipsticks that were recently in the news, nut the actual ones you get in drugstores/make up stores.

BillywigSting Sun 08-Oct-17 09:20:09

Cheapo fake ones from China maybe but actual high end makeup? Not a chance!
Enjoy your glow op! You're one of the lucky ones who got it!

Sakura03 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:30:51

I like arbonne, you can order online.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:24:51

I wear make up every day makes me feel better and it won't do any harm to baby!

LadyRenoir Sun 08-Oct-17 18:33:27

I know, it makes me feel a lot better too!
If there was evidence it's harmful, I would stop, but most of it seems to be totally made up. Better safe than sorry- hence I wanted to ask!

bettydraper31 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:31:34

Rubbish! And how silly of her to mention it anyway, some people have no filter. I'm sure IF it were true, the amount of lipstick you have to wear would be impossible! You'd have to wear it and apply it a hundred times a day for a hundred years!

Enjoy yourself and congrats! I have a lovely charlotte tilbury lippy and it lasts forever! X

CherriesInTheSnow Sun 08-Oct-17 21:16:22

How ridiculous of her hmm

I have never ever come across an evidence that bloody makeup of all things could harm baby. It's basically moisturisers/emollients/waxes with some mineral pigment, they hardly make it out of bloody lead anymore! angry

Sorry to sound so irate but I know exactly how you feel, with DD I was sick as a dog for nearly 5 months, have very fair skin so had huge amounts of burst blood vessels all over my face from throwing up all the time, had simultaneously dry and greasy skin and I cannot tell you how much better I felt when I could finally shower and brush my teeth in the morning without being sick and how much more like myself I felt when I had the energy to put my makeup on and actually feel pretty again.

And you will always get those comments. After being quite tearful about the state of my nice long hair, I got a good cut and used some semi permanent, no ammonia dark brown dye, and while everyone was complementing me this one woman in the office felt the need to stick her hand up in the air and announce loudly that "you shouldn't be dying your hair once pregnant". Why does being pregnant suddenly make your body public property?

MrsLilymunster Mon 09-Oct-17 04:55:19

What a loaf of shite. .. if this was 1950 maybe but not stuff you'd buy in the shops now !! I even got my bump painted when pregnant xxx

Aquiver Mon 09-Oct-17 07:29:02

Hi - sorry to gatecrash the thread - but is nail polish (inc gel etc) safe during pregnancy too? Friends of mine have become quite adamant that it is almost lethal due to fumes etc. Is there any truth to it??

StylishDuck Mon 09-Oct-17 08:51:18

I’ve got gel nails throughout my pregnancies. They’re fine. In fact the girl that does my nails has just gone off on maternity leave after asking people’s nails all day through your her pregnancy. As long as you’re in a well-ventilated salon and not one of those dodgy cheap ones it’s fine.

As for the lipstick. I’ve never heard so much rubbish in all my life. Some people have the weirdest ideas.

StylishDuck Mon 09-Oct-17 08:51:47

Sorry about the dodgy spelling confused

Celticlassie Mon 09-Oct-17 11:41:47

I had gel nails but had a friend who didn’t as she said it wasn’t safe. I’m not sure if I would now.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 09-Oct-17 12:26:22

Nail polish is fine, but when you near term you may want to leave your fingers unpainted as they might use a pulse ox monitor on you in labour, which clips to your finger, as polish can interfere.

TheLegendOfBeans Mon 09-Oct-17 12:27:19

Unless you've been pinching the make up of Elizabeth I then your friend is talking megabollocks.

Majormanner Mon 09-Oct-17 13:05:46

Congrats! - Wear it with pride - I couldn't stand the smell of makeup or anything but dove soap and water so had to do without

TheCatsMother99 Mon 09-Oct-17 13:24:37

Lipstick 😂😂😂😂

Sorry but that's hilarious.

Pretty poor form for her to worry you like that too.

TheLegendOfBeans Mon 09-Oct-17 14:10:54

Can I also just give a big fat jealous face envy regarding this:

a few lipsticks from MAC

(Looks at collection of Barry M forlornly).

ReginaBlitzkreig Mon 09-Oct-17 16:30:28

Beware: there are some odd people out there who seem to find it satisfying to worry pregnant women with "advice" about toxic/dangerous this or that.

One of them told me my diet was too acidic because I liked oranges and this could cause me to miscarry.

As my father retorted, "How do these people think humans actually survived into the 20th century?"

LadyRenoir Mon 09-Oct-17 17:45:47

*Can I also just give a big fat jealous face envy regarding this:

a few lipsticks from MAC*

Haha, I am never that extravagant, but I have not bought anything for myself for months, as I was so sick and unwell, plus we went through a family bereavement and life has been so tough, so I thought just once I would treat myself for something nice.

Thanks for words of wisedom ladies, today I wore my hot pink lips with pride. The comment actually came from another pregnant women at work- who never wears any makeup or whatsoever. But if not here, there is always someone else going "oooh, is it safe to eat that when pregnant" or "when I was pregnant, I was not doing this or that". That makes me uber paranoid sometimes... :/

HellonHeels Mon 09-Oct-17 18:05:41

i have never heard of 21st century cosmetics containing lead.

Enjoy the new lippy.

TheLegendOfBeans Mon 09-Oct-17 19:49:08

Go for it on the make up @LadyRenoir

Sounds like you bloomin deserve it and enjoy a stress free (and immaculately made up) pregnancy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now