Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

(17 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Sat 07-Oct-17 21:22:13

For the past few weeks I have had increased discharge, I've been told it could be a part of my mucus plug coming away. I'm 33 weeks pregnant.

I also have SPD to the point I'm on crutches.

Today I felt the discharge had increased again, it was like a gloopy string coming out of me when I went to the loo. And things felt ever so slightly tender down there so I grabbed a mirror and had a look.

There was a lot of discharge even after I had wiped, once cleaning this up I noticed my lips look further apart...they normally sit together unless I separate them... But they are not swollen like a thrush or other infection. My vagina however looks almost bulgy... It's always been very obvious and open when looking but it looks different. Nothing is poking out past it or anything but it's like there's something pushing from the inside.

Obviously I've done the rational thing and not panic and consult dr Google... lies ... I've heard anything from prolapse of various organs to pre term labour to infection.

I know I need to get checked but it's Sunday tomorrow so can't get to a Dr or midwife and I will be our of my mind with worry. Has anyone experienced similar?

I'm too scared to take another look! Got myself in a state.

Right now I feel quite raw. My belly has been on/off tight for a week, but very little pain (put down to SPD and a little constipation)

Cakecrumbsinmybra Sat 07-Oct-17 21:25:28

I felt exactly the same as you OP, at the same stage. Went to hospital to be told everything looked completely normal 😳 I'm sure it's fine. Increased discharge is bound to be normal and the other stuff - you prob haven't looked so closely before??

Cakecrumbsinmybra Sat 07-Oct-17 21:26:35

However, obvs go to drs if you think you have an infection and don't be worried about going to hospital (as I did!!)

Ijustlovefood Sat 07-Oct-17 21:27:12

It could be a sign that labour will start soon. Try not to worry. You can always ring 111 if you need to. Or you could ring the midwives at the hospital someone will be around on a Sunday.

OnNaturesCourse Sat 07-Oct-17 21:31:04

Oh, I hope it's not labour. I was at midwife on Friday and head was down but not engaged however last night when I was out I felt like I had a crazy weight dropped down into my pelvis. It was there this morning but subsided by lunch time.

I really want to go get checked now but hate feeling like I'm causing a drama.

MrsChopper Sat 07-Oct-17 21:32:07

Swelling and pressure is com0letely normal. It is usually caused due to how large your uterus has grown and the extra blood supply to your nether regions. You may also have varicose veins down there.

Nonetheless, give your midwife a ring for advice or reassurance. It's always better to be in the safe side!

OnNaturesCourse Sat 07-Oct-17 21:36:24

Thank you.

I've just stupidly got myself in a tizz.

I have a friend (ex friend really) who had prolapse and it was horrific, she really did have a time of it to the point she had a catheter fitted.

Foggymist Sat 07-Oct-17 21:42:15

Of course there's something pushing it from the inside, a baby and all that goes with it! I've had swelling there from quite early on and never questioned or googled it, it's just from the pressure above it, usually completely normal.

PrettyFlyForATightGuy Sat 07-Oct-17 21:42:21

Increased discharge is completely normal unless it's discoloured, offensive smelling or watery to the point you're soaking pads and then your waters may have gone. Your vulva and vagina will look plumper, pinker and more 'bulgy' at this stage and it's completely normal. It's a combination of the hormone surge and massively increased blood flow to the area and decreased blood flow away due to the weight of your uterus. If you're concerned something is wrong beyond this then ring the midwife or labour ward for advice but hopefully this will help explain it.

OnNaturesCourse Sat 07-Oct-17 21:49:50

As you can tell I just genuinely worry... And pregnancy has made that no better!

I'm quite stingy down there but it could all be in my head.

If I had a prolapse or something serious I would know about it, right?

The discharge swings from gloopy and jelly like to gloopy and stringy... Some days it can be more watery and my liners are soaked but never overflowed or anything, just not able to take any more

OnNaturesCourse Sat 07-Oct-17 21:51:10

And it's clear, or white. Occasionally gets a cream tone but not every day.

No offensive smell, kinda a faint sweet smell.

Dollydaydream2829 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:08:21

Without wanting to panic you nature - I'm 35 weeks pregnant and during the week I had been suffering with excess vaginal discharge. Clear and runnier than normal but no offensive smell and i was told by various different people, that it was normal. Didn't think too much into it - I'd been feeling a bit of discomfort but put that down to working too hard.

After a day, thought I'd better phone triage to be on the safe side. Turns out my waters bad broken at 34+5. I was admitted and told labour highly likely this weekend as I was also showing tightenings on the CTG.

I'm now still waiting although being induced at the start of the week if nothing changes as infection risk.

So please don't hold off phoning triage just incase you'll feel embarrassed if it's nothing. I almost did, and I can't bear the thought!

MrsChopper Sat 07-Oct-17 22:08:41

Now's the time to start practising those pelvic floor exercises grin

calamityjam Sat 07-Oct-17 22:16:21

If the discharge is enough that it is soaking your pads and you are 33 weeks I would phone delivery suite. They will probably ask you to go in and put you on a monitor to check. It shouldn't be soaking pads until they are full

Ploppie4 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:18:31

Totally normal

OnNaturesCourse Sat 07-Oct-17 22:19:43

It does take 4-6 hours to fill a pad...

OnNaturesCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 00:02:38

My discharge has been crazy all pregnancy, for 4/5 weeks it's been ramped up even more though. Goes watery occasionally but don't think it's my waters as it's intermittent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now