Talk

Advanced search

What kind of coat would you buy?

(48 Posts)
AnxietyForever Sat 07-Oct-17 19:55:50

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and attempted shopping today for some winter things for myself. I don't want to buy something too big as I will only be wearing it temporary but need a winter coat?
What are you all wearing etc?

boopdoop Sat 07-Oct-17 19:57:13

I got a maternity coat from eBay last time I was pregnant. Not too expensive but definitely needed through the winter so well used. Just got it out again for this winter.

AnxietyForever Sat 07-Oct-17 20:05:34

Just had a look on eBay- didn't realise they did maternity coats! Thankyou

pileoflaundry Sat 07-Oct-17 20:07:41

I got an inexpensive non-maternity fleece, 5 or 6 sizes too big.

ImNotShpanishImEgyptshun Sat 07-Oct-17 20:11:57

I bought this: www.seraphine.com/3-in-1-maternity-parka.html

It's the same style as I would wear anyway. The only downsides are that the hood is very big and floppy, and there's no loop for a coat hook. I still wear it now and DS is 8 months.

Roxx1516 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:11:58

Type in plus size coats on google and go on boohoo or new look or next or some sites like that they do coats that are for size 16 plus and they are fairly cheap, I'm in the same poisition, I will be 6 months at Christmas time so will need a winter coat so think il need at least two sizes up from what I am now, there's plenty online tho smile

HLBug Sat 07-Oct-17 20:13:27

I got a great one from JoJo Maman Bebe - it had a removable front panel which you could add as you got bigger. Best thing I bought.

BrawneLamia Sat 07-Oct-17 20:15:30

If you plan on using a sling then get a coat which can be used over the sling when you are carrying the baby as well as during pregnancy

ForeverBubblegum Sat 07-Oct-17 20:17:24

If you plan to use a sling at all a big coat from when you were pregnant will fit newborn inside (head poking out obviously) if its still cold once babies born. So you might get a bit more use out of it.

ForeverBubblegum Sat 07-Oct-17 20:18:25

sorry BrawneLamia, cross post

MagicFajita Sat 07-Oct-17 20:19:56

I'm due soon so just purchased a cheap rain mac three sizes bigger than I'd normally wear , failing that I was going to go second hand. I've had enough of paying a premium for poor quality maternity clothing , it's a joke how cheaply made everything is compared to standard sized clothing.

user1493413286 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:21:45

I was pregnant over winter last year and found that I was so warm that I could use my normal coat and never felt cold enough to need to do it up. Otherwise though I’d recommend getting one on eBay as coats generally aren’t cheap when you’ll only use it for one year but you could always sell it after

Lozmatoz Sat 07-Oct-17 20:23:44

What?! eBay does EVERYTHING!

oneplus2is3 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:26:04

I've had 2 winter pregnancies. First one I just bought oversized Parker. 2nd (twins) bought new look maternity. Friend of mine had an amazing extension panel that she zipped into a normal coat (from Next I think). As others have said- both times I was really hot!

Topsyloulou Sat 07-Oct-17 20:26:25

I bought a maternity coat from George at Asda for £25 a couple of months ago. It's navy, showerproof with a good & has an extra panel to zip in. It's not the thickest coat on the world but I'm due early November & just needed something to take the chill off. It will come in very handy for taking baby out in a carrier as I'll be able to zip it up around her. They also had a couple of nice maternity jumpers for £12ish.

deplorabelle Sat 07-Oct-17 20:26:41

There's usually loads of coats in charity shops. Just browse for one with a roomy waist. You can also donate it back again afterwards

user1491508013 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:27:45

I managed to get a really cheap new look maternity coat from said in their pre xmas sale last yr x

ShiveryTimbers Sat 07-Oct-17 20:30:49

A 'three-in-one' coat from Vertbaudet - like the Seraphine one mentioned above, but cheaper and in a colour I liked better (black). You can also use it after the baby is born to wear while using a baby carrier or sling. I was delighted with the coat I bought. It's lovely and really nice quality.

badg3r Sat 07-Oct-17 20:40:14

DS1 arrived in December and I just wore DH's jacket/body warmer. I was very warm and didn't need a maternity coat. With DS2 I got a lovely maternity parka from new look in the sale for £20 that I still wear now. I looked at jackets with those expansion panels for baby wearing but in the end bought a bundle bean sling cover that is completely waterproof and Also does as a foot muff for the pram. The other advantage is that DH can also use it when wearing the sling.

badg3r Sat 07-Oct-17 20:43:53

Just checked vertbaudet website and they have 10% off and free delivery till tomorrow. Shivery the 3-in-1 jacket looks lovely!

Binglesplodge Sat 07-Oct-17 20:43:57

I've just bought the vertbaudet one mentioned above as I'm expecting ds2 in January so I need a warm coat and I'll be carrying the baby a lot so the extra panel will come in very handy!

It was expensive though: I'm hoping it's not too massive and I can get away with it as a normal coat when I'm not pregnant...

HolyShmoly Sat 07-Oct-17 20:48:48

Do those 3-in-1 coats fit your normal size if you take the panel out? I'm in the very early stages, but I need a coat and I don't really want to buy one that's only going to fit me for two months before I start showing...

AnxietyForever Sat 07-Oct-17 23:02:03

Thank you all for the suggestions- I'm due mid February so will need something for throughout the winter.

SomehowSomewhere1 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:32:59

Hi, due mid Feb too. I bought a M&S swing coat from a charity shop for a bargain £3. Lots of room for bump to grow, should see me through.

TriJo Sat 07-Oct-17 23:46:03

I have a H&M maternity parka - got great wear out of it last time (due March 2016) and since I'm due again in February I'm just waiting to crack it out again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: