Talk

Advanced search

Is it dangerous to carry heavy load when 37 weeks pregnant

(9 Posts)
Camellapella Sat 07-Oct-17 16:04:54

37 weeks pregnant and been to the super market, the walk home is only ten minute so didn't want to fork out money for a taxi. Carried two shopping bags aswell as a jumbo pack of nappies and wipes and it was a struggle. Just googled this and I'm quite worried now about placental tears? Would I know if I had torn the placenta?

HappyLollipop Sat 07-Oct-17 16:21:06

I ended up doing some heavy lifting shopping while I was having contractions tried calling my DP wasn't answering, got pissed off waiting so I lifted it all upstairs myself. I think as long as you don't feel as if anythings wrong your probably alright and just panicking a bit which is perfectly normal!

Mummyme87 Sat 07-Oct-17 16:22:12

You cannot tear your placenta by carrying heavy bags. You will most likely strain muscles in your abdomen/back etc

Ohwell14 Sat 07-Oct-17 16:24:30

I did the same thing. Went to a small local shopping centre and did a huge shop. Was going to call a taxi to get home and realised I forgot my phone. No phone box in sight. Had to get the bus home and walk about ten minutes with 6 shopping bags full. I was exhausted but everything was fine with baby x

BrawneLamia Sat 07-Oct-17 16:27:38

Most people carry a heavy toddler around in their second pregnancies and they are fine.

NeverForgotten Sat 07-Oct-17 16:27:56

Not good to lifting heavy items during pregnancy. You've probably just overdone it and strained your muscles. You should be taking it easy before your baby is born. Are you concerned or looking for advice? Stay away from Google, it always gives worst case scenarios.

Batteriesallgone Sat 07-Oct-17 16:30:54

It's not a good idea in case you strain your back. Once that is fucked you'll be in pain for the rest of your life so it's best to look after yourself and avoid doing heavy lifting.

Can't comment on placenta tears but never heard of it as a side effect of lifting so guessing can't be common? In my second and third pregnancies the midwives told me to avoid lifting my older children because of the risk of damage to back and pelvic floor. Only an issue for my future health not the baby.

user1493413286 Sat 07-Oct-17 16:36:33

Heavy shopping is very unlikely to cause any problems; something like a wardrobe or bed etc isn’t a good idea but more because of the extra strain on your back and other parts of the body.
If you’re worried call your maternity triage.

Caterina99 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:33:17

My 2 year old DS weighs about 15kg. I try and avoid picking him up and carrying him if I can, but needs must sometimes. The risk is more pulling a muscle or damaging your back than any harm to the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now