Talk

Advanced search

Am I mad...

(14 Posts)
StephiD3 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:56:42

To travel on a 3 hour car journey at 38wks pregnant?

Follows on from seeing an article about someone giving birth on a plane and all the comments of she was very silly/selfish to travel so late into pregnancy knowing Baby could come at any time.

It’s a 3hr trip to a close friends graduation ceremony. DH will be driving, ceremony for an hour or two, then another 3hr drive back.

Am I being a bit blasé about the situation?

Santawontbelong Fri 06-Oct-17 14:59:47

I drove back from Spain at 37 weeks. .

Katiep0tato Fri 06-Oct-17 15:02:13

Is it your first baby? Statistically you’re more likely to be late than early, so I’d say if you feel up to it then go - but make sure you have your notes and your bag with you just in case!

SurfingKitten Fri 06-Oct-17 15:03:55

DD1 arrived when I was 38 weeks. It would have been fine with DD2 though, as she would already have been born.

I would advise taking you maternity notes and hospital bag with you, and make sure you know where all the maternity hospitals you will be passing are.

Oysterbabe Fri 06-Oct-17 15:06:20

My first arrived suddenly at 35+5. Maybe see how you feel nearer the time. Definitely take your hospital bag.
This time I'm not leaving town after 32 weeks.

StephiD3 Fri 06-Oct-17 15:31:44

It’s baby 3! Due to set off tomorrow morning.

Will definitely pack notes and bag just in case then...

dede124 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:46:25

I could no way travel for that long at 38 weeks I'd be too uncomfortable. Guess it's down to how your feeling and yes... take your bag!

shushpenfold Fri 06-Oct-17 16:49:28

I did the same and baby was early.....waters broke in the service station. Fun times.

StephiD3 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:47:25

shushpenfold

shock

If this happened I hope it would be in a services with a Harry Ramadan’s so they could feed me grin

Mummyme87 Fri 06-Oct-17 18:00:15

We are travelling 300miles (5-6hours) when I am 37+2 and back again at 37+6

2ducks2ducklings Fri 06-Oct-17 18:31:54

We've just booked a last minute night in London to see a musical the week before my due date. I'm thinking this wasn't our most sensible idea, but my parents are taking the older two kids away and this will be our last kid free night for quite some time. I hadn't considered the journey, I've been more worried about going into to labour in the theatre!
Let me know how you go OP, I'm watching with interestconfused

LumpySpaceCow Fri 06-Oct-17 18:48:26

I don't think you can really put your life on hold unless your previous two were early. Just take your notes and hospital bag and as long as you will be comfortable for the journey then go for it.

StephiD3 Sun 08-Oct-17 09:39:18

I made it!!

Only one toilet stop too which was good.

The travelling was uncomfortable but i made sure I slept which made it easier. I think sitting for so long has altered something though, I could not get comfortable in bed last night.

shushpenfold Tue 10-Oct-17 21:47:13

Well done! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now