Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Muscle pain top of leg

(6 Posts)
SomehowSomewhere1 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:12:25

Hi,
It started over a week ago, pain in the join at the top of my left leg as if I've pulled a muscle. But seems to be getting worse rather than better. Really painful to roll over in bed, hurts to get out the car of up from sitting/crouching, and getting tricky to put clothes on, and aches walking. It doesn't hurt when not doing these things, so I haven't taken anything, but anyone else? Any tips, to minimise future discomfort? Time for a bump support, if so any recommendations?

On the plus, 20wk scan yesterday and all clear so one very happy bunny smile was seriously scared before hand!

Thank you!

Fluffybrain Fri 06-Oct-17 14:20:36

Sounds like pelvic girdle pain (pgp) or symphysis pubis disorder (sod) both are the same thing. Google it and see a physio. Where I am I could self refer to physio and the local hospital. They have a different referral route so that you're not waiting ages during pregnancy. They give you exercises to strengthen certain muscles. And advice on how to move. Basically, don't roll over in bed. Sit up by swing your legs to the floor and then turn when sitting and then lie down on the other side. Move much more slowly when standing up. Don't stay seated for too long. Get up and walk around every 20 mins to half an hour. I had permission from my workplace to do this based on physios recommendations.

Fluffybrain Fri 06-Oct-17 14:21:12

Spd not sod!! Although it is a sod!

Fluffybrain Fri 06-Oct-17 14:23:28

Oh and don't kneel or crouch, and don't try to put your legs in your knickers or trousers whilst standing. Sit on the bed or chair to do it.

minipie Fri 06-Oct-17 14:27:27

I had this when pg and was worried it was SPD but went to a really good masseur who told me it was a pulled muscle and she sorted it with a (very!!) firm massage. It was caused mainly by carrying handbag on one shoulder and wearing heels so I stopped doing those and it didn't come back.

So I would say - yes see a physio, or a really good masseur if you know of one. In any case make sure you are not putting extra strain on it. Especially watch your choice of bag!

SomehowSomewhere1 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:41:41

Hi, everyone, thank you!! 'SOD' sounds like a great acronym for it! @minipie - quite possible, hoping it's just a pulled muscle - when it started fits in, but the rolling over agony does worry me. Heels in pregnancy, that's impressive! Dropped into my GP surgery and I can self refer for physio, so got the info. Started with some of your advice already and it's helping! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now