Talk

Advanced search

Same test for Edwards and downs syndrome?

(6 Posts)
Hurraahhnaptime Fri 06-Oct-17 08:29:41

Can anyone advise whether the test for downs syndrome and Edwards is the same test? I would like to decline testing for downs syndrome but do want to know about Edwards. Is this possible?

St3phan1e Fri 06-Oct-17 08:58:23

The measurements they take at your 12 week scan assess the risk for Edward's, Pateau's & downs syndrome, I think perhaps with bloods too. You do get asked which you want to be tested for so can choose not to be tested for downs. They weren't able to get the measurements at my scan so offered the quad blood test a couple of weeks later, which only tests for downs, so we declined this.

After that you can either pay for the NIPT/harmony test privately, which tests for all three I believe but I have no experience of that so I don't know if you can pick and choose, or wait for your 20 week anomaly scan to pick up issues that indicate Edward's etc.

0to3SadOnions Fri 06-Oct-17 09:11:04

It's all done on the same blood test. I asked to not be tested for downs but my letter still had the downs results on, so double check that they have written it on the form.

Hurraahhnaptime Fri 06-Oct-17 13:17:54

Sorry I forgot to say I'm in Wales so I think the process is different for NHS Wales? Any welsh around to help?

DaisyLand Fri 06-Oct-17 13:34:50

Hi I'm not sure about NHS Wales
I had mine done last week in NHS England during the 12w scan so not sure whether it applies the same.

During the scan they measured the Nuchal translucency as well as baby's crown rump length. In my case they were both withing expected values. I got a blood test done as well on the same day where they check the risk of having any of this chromosome disorders. I got the letter the other day saying everything was low risk for the 3 of them.

Had it been any of those wrong then I'd have been seen and got amnio done or the one for Edward's, Pateau's as they're different.

Checking nhs wales seems they steps to do are the same as the ones I had last week.

www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/livewell/pregnancy/DownSyndrome/

Hope it helps

0to3SadOnions Fri 06-Oct-17 14:18:44

I'm in Wales too, was at Nevill Hall. You have your 12 week scan with NT measurement then have bloods taken by a midwife (I think I had to sign to say I consented to the tests being done but not 100% sure)

As I said before I asked the mw for downs to not be tested for but she didn't document it properly on the blood form so I advise you to double check after she's written it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now