Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does sex really being on labour?

(25 Posts)
JES12 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:37:37

Hi all, what is people's experience of this? Has sex brought on labour, if so, how soon after?

Old wives tale or is there some theory behind it?

gamerchick Thu 05-Oct-17 23:42:10

It’s the poking of the cervix and something in the seman. Like when they used horse seman when being induced or something.

The poking of the cervix is supposed to mimic the babies head poking on the cervix to send a message to the brain to release the hormone to make it dilate and the seman to soften it.

Or something... my brain is hazy on the topic these days grin

gamerchick Thu 05-Oct-17 23:42:53

*semen

I knew it didn’t look right.

holdthewine Thu 05-Oct-17 23:48:56

Semen contains prostaglandins which are meant to stimulate the cervix to open. Never worked for me though. Strong and repeated raspberry leaf tea did and was less effort.

gamerchick Thu 05-Oct-17 23:58:32

Except raspberry leaf tea is meant to tone the uterus to give a shorter pushing stage. It doesn’t do anything to bring on labour.

Lozmatoz Fri 06-Oct-17 03:25:34

Did nothing for me. Sure it does for some.

YokoReturns Fri 06-Oct-17 04:20:42

It did for me first time around, it had a similar effect to a stretch and sweep.

YokoReturns Fri 06-Oct-17 04:33:00

Sorry, what I mean is, it disturbed the mucus plug, which came away, but labour didn’t start for a few days after that. So not exactly like a stretch and sweep!

greentea4me Fri 06-Oct-17 04:47:13

Sorry, it's an old wives' tale. Don't bother!

PandaCat Fri 06-Oct-17 07:37:10

I went into labour an hour after we'd had sex with my first.

JES12 Fri 06-Oct-17 19:57:10

Thanks for the messages everyone. We tried anyway but still no baby. Darn it!

Cagliostro Fri 06-Oct-17 20:32:15

Didn't work for me.

What I wonder is, if the prostaglandins are supposed to have an effect, does that mean there comes a time in pregnancy where you should avoid (unprotected) sex in case it brings on labour too early?!

2bluestars Fri 06-Oct-17 20:36:04

After about 9 months it might wink

BuzzKillington Fri 06-Oct-17 20:42:26

I read an article that recommended sex, at least one orgasm (for the woman), tilting your pelvis to let the cervix be dunked in the semen and lots of nipple stimulation.

I did go into labour - but who knows if it helped.

Ilovechocolate111 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:26:40

My waters broke an hour after sex lol 😁

Justanotherusername99 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:07:23

Did bugger all for me. Neither did raspberry leaf tea or spicy curries!

BayLeaves Sat 07-Oct-17 17:11:31

Worked for me. Out of all the "old wives tales" this one makes the most sense scientifically. If midwives give you a pessary it contains prostaglandin, which as someone mentioned above, is also found in sperm.

I went into labour about 6 hours after having sex. Then, about 6 more hours after my contractions started, they slowed down almost to a halt. So we had sex again and I took a nap. Once I woke up the contractions came back smile Anecdotal, I know, but I'm certain it was the shagging grin

Aliveinwanderland Sat 07-Oct-17 17:15:12

Worked for me. Sex st 8pm, first contraction at 10:30pm, baby born at 11am the next day.

LoyaltyAndLobster Sat 07-Oct-17 17:18:04

Yes worked for me first time around.

mayhew Sat 07-Oct-17 17:18:12

The hormones of (good) sex are the same as those of labour. Prostaglandins ( soften the cervix, start contractions) are contained in semen. Obviously women have them too and release them in early labour.
Oxytocin (the big, rhythmic contraction one) is released when you have an orgasm.
But it only works when your body is ready! And it passes the time.

4yoniD Sat 07-Oct-17 17:24:57

Go for a walk. Slow as you like if your struggling. Did it for me, and I believe it does have some scientific basis.

showchin Sat 07-Oct-17 17:32:33

I was assured by a consultant that sex was the only way to bring on labour, and spent an interesting weeekend seeing if this was true!
Turns out it really does work, but (sorry tmi) you have to let the semen hang around the area afterwards rather than washing it which is quite yucky.

sinceyouask Sat 07-Oct-17 17:37:25

It seemed to with ds2 (had sex about midnight, went into labour about 8am).

Tfoot75 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:44:34

I believe it's the only thing that actually could work scientifically, as prostaglandins in sperm are the same (presumably lower dose?) as in a pessary to induce labour, and also oxytocin as mentioned above. Nothing works if you're not already on the verge though (including a sweep) hence why many inductions result in synthetic oxytocin drip!

JES12 Sun 08-Oct-17 00:31:28

Thanks again all. I'll give it a day or two and try again. Nothing seems to be working, maybe baby is just a lazy so and so! (6 days overdue now).

Love the openness of these posts by the way!!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now