Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Eating issues

(9 Posts)
1987Laura Thu 05-Oct-17 22:17:19

Hiya so im between 9-10 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Since i got pregnant my eating habits have drastically changed. To the point i literally do not want to eat anything. Im forcing myself to eat. I am a very overweight girl so losing weight would help bug im worried about the effect on my baby. Im drinking some milk everyday and taking pregnacare tablets. Im generally eating one pathetic "meal" a day (a sandwich, toastie or soup) has anyone else experienced this?

boopdoop Thu 05-Oct-17 22:32:01

Due to sickness etc I pretty much only are biscuits and haribo for 6 weeks with this pregnancy, and salted crisps in my last pregnancy. I'd have to force myself to eat too. Both times I've lost weight... it's ok especially in the early days. Your body prioritises baby, so they will be getting what they need, and it won't be for long. Trying go eat healthily in pregnancy is great, but for many of us doesn't really start until after the first trimester, as until then you are just eating what you can face etc.

DeadDoorpost Thu 05-Oct-17 22:55:48

First 16 weeks I barely ate anything as I was so sick (Hyperemesis) and my baby is fine. I'm 33 weeks and my appetite still changes weekly. I've been told numerous time that no matter what, the baby takes what it needs from you and then you deal with what's left so don't worry too much and just do the best you can. If that means you eat just one meal a day, or snack for the moment then fine. Make sure you remember the vitamin tablets (I know they're not a permanent fix but it'll help) and slowly see if you can find foods that you can at least stomach. I have to go through the whole process every week which makes shopping difficult as I never know what I'll be able to stomach or deal with.

1987Laura Thu 05-Oct-17 23:00:11

Thanks yeah i lve gone off ao many foods tht i used to eat happily before getting pregnant so theres not a lot left to have. Cant stomach anything sweet ( apart from milkshakes weirdly)

Expectingbsbunumber2 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:40:36

This is common in pregnancy. I went off loads and still don't want to face them! Your appetite will come back soon. There's days like eh I just eat and eat 🙈

mindutopia Fri 06-Oct-17 13:26:36

Yes, it's fine. Eat what you feel like eating, but don't force yourself and don't stress about it. Like you I go off food when I'm pregnant and often don't have much of an appetite. It gets a bit better from 2nd tri onwards, but still not entirely normal. I've always eaten what I can stomach, trying to keep it healthy (not just cake, but a healthy balanced meal, even when not much), and I don't worry about it too much. Particularly as you are overweight (I am a bit as well), baby can draw on those reserves and will get all the calories he/she needs and you'll keep yourself topped up with nutrients with your vitamins. You'll likely feel better soon so will be able to eat more, but I wouldn't worry about it now. The bonus is that it will help you from gaining too much weight, which you'll be advised to do anyway. With my first, I only gained about 16 lbs total by the time she was born, which was ideal for my weight when I started.

Cracklesfire Fri 06-Oct-17 18:52:07

I lost 10lbs in first trimester last time, then had only gained a stone by the end of my pregnancy. DS was still almost 10lbs at birth. Your body will make sure bub gets what it needs to grow.

katmarie Sat 07-Oct-17 14:40:36

Hi, I was exactly the same until about 14 weeks, and I still have days now where my appetite just dies (25+2 now). At my booking in appointment they had me down as overweight too. Since then I've put on the grand total of four pounds, because I lost a good bit those first few weeks, and there are still some foods I simply cannot face. Salad, and prawns both turn my stomach, oddly enough.

Anyway, my baby comes up absolutely fine on all the scans and measurements, and they think bub is on track to be about 8 pounds based on the 20 week scan. Every time I say to the midwife I haven't gained any weight she just says baby is fine, blood pressure is fine, if you're feeling ok, don't worry about it, just make sure you're getting plenty of fluids. So I don't worry too much!

Just eat what you can, when you feel like it. I had a lot of mcdonalds milkshakes in those first few weeks, and tubs of fruit. Ginger biscuits also helped with the nausea. I went off fish totally, bbq meat made me heave a couple of times, and anything remotely stodgy was a no. But now I have days when I can eat for england, I'm eating breakfast every day for the first time sonce I was 10 years old, and god help a chocolate bar if it wanders into my field of vision! The lack of appetite will pass for you too, I'm sure.

Good luck and congrats smile

Hoppinggreen Sat 07-Oct-17 14:42:49

I was overweight when I got pg and due to morning sickness I lost 2 stone but both me and baby were fine
Unfortunately it only took me a few months to put it back on
I wasn't as sick with my 2nd pregnancy but still lost about half a stone.
It seems to be the only way for me to lose weight!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now