Talk

Advanced search

Selective / Embryo Reduction (twins) - where recommended in UK?

(13 Posts)
killy1 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:57:12

Hi.
From Ireland, week 12 of pregnancy and recently found out that one of my twins has an abnormality. It's been an agonising week since we found out. We have with much heartache and soul searching that selective reduction would be the best solution for us and the healthy twin. However, it is not allowed in Ireland so we must travel to UK. Information the hospitals are permitted to provide in Ireland is minimal also.
So we have been relying on online research this week which is hardly ideal.
I would really appreciate your advice on where is recommended in UK to present us with best chance of keeping the healthy twin?
Any consultants and contact details that we could get in touch with ASAP?
What are the cut-off limits in various hospitals / clinics? ( (I had a brief conversation with Kings Hospital in London which seems to get good reports online and theirs' is 15 weeks or you leave it until very late in the pregnancy - which we would struggle with even more than we are at the mo).
We are beset with worry and chagrin at the mo, with a real feeling of helplessness given we live in Ireland.
Your advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Bluerose27 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:03:10

I don't know, I'm in Ireland too but I'm so sorry you're in this situation xx flowers

eurochick Thu 05-Oct-17 21:05:01

I'm sorry you are in this situation. Kings and st Thomas in London both have excellent reputations for feotal medicine so maybe start by ringing those. Big hugs. X

Lozmatoz Thu 05-Oct-17 21:05:30

Sorry, can’t help. Very sorry for you. I hope someone can give you the info you need.

Polly99 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:05:35

You poor thing.
I haven't been there and I am no expert, but isn't a Kings where Prof. Nicolaides is based? I'd always thought he (and by extension his team) were the best. If not them, I'd look at the other large London teaching hospitals, as they often see complex /hard cases.

WillowWeeping Thu 05-Oct-17 21:18:58

In similar ish circumstances I went to a private clinic in Harley st. who then referred me to the NHS where I saw Pippa Kyle at st Thomas she was brilliant.

The fetal medicine centre comes recommended these days. Best wishes and sorry you're going through this.

killy1 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:54:59

Thanks for all your kind messages and advice.
I did speak with Kings Hospital today but I'm thinking it might be challenging to arrange it within the next 3 weeks (its cut off is 15 weeks). Our hospital in Ireland needs to get us test paperwork and there is a whole process to go through as a private patient with Kings.
Does anyone know if St Thomas has a cut-off of 15 weeks or will it allow in weeks 16, 17....?

beachbodyunready Thu 05-Oct-17 22:26:47

So sorry to hear about your predicament sending you a flowers
If you can't get a referral to St Thomas' you could try Professor Brian Beatty (he's actually Irish) who is head of foetal medicine at the University College Hospital Cardiff, he's an amazing man and manger to save save one twin that a colleague I know was carrying, she tragically had twin to twin syndrome and the other twin was not viable.
Wishing you the very best of luck.

WillowWeeping Thu 05-Oct-17 22:46:33

As far as I'm aware St thomas' don't have a cut off.

I think advice is generally 1st trimester or as late as possible but prognosis is, generally speaking, good for healthy twin at any stage (although second trimester is riskiest)

harrietm87 Fri 06-Oct-17 08:29:56

A friend had to have this with one of her triplets and it was professor Nicolaides at UCLH. An amazing man apparently. Sorry that you are going through this.

killy1 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:07:02

Thanks all for the suggestions. The challenge we have with Prof Nicolaides is the cut off time which I just can;t see working (although I understand the rationale).
I will try Prof Beatty too.

LumpySpaceCow Fri 06-Oct-17 09:20:53

So sorry you're going through this. I haven't been through it myself but I know that Saint Mary's hospital in Manchester have an excellent foetal medicine unit so it may be worth contacting them.

sparechange Fri 06-Oct-17 09:45:57

You can see Prof Nicolades at his Private Clinic The Fetal Medicine Centre, on Harley Street
He is a wonderful and kind doc and he will refer you on if necessary

Chelsea and Westminster also has a great fetal medicine unit, lead by Guy Thorpe-Beeston
Mina Savvidou who works there with Guy is also great and has a special interest in twins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now