Talk

Advanced search

Getting through to midwives

(8 Posts)
Greil Wed 04-Oct-17 16:58:48

I'm not familiar with how the NHS works, so would like to know if my expectations are a bit off.

I notified my GP at 6 weeks that I was pregnant who explained I was to be referred to midwives for a booking-in appointment. I had a private scan earlier this week where I was advised that something must have gone awry since I'm now 10+6 and hadn't heard yet.

I called the GP reception to check and it turns out they had forgotten to do the referral.

I was given the number myself to refer myself. I've been trying to call since and couldn't get through until just now, but the call handler said I had to call again, before 4.

What annoyed me was the disapproving tone as if I were being late and excessively-demanding and, well, putting her out by calling within office hours.

I'm also a little unnerved because the ultrasound technician said that the later the official checks are done, the more unreliable the dating will be (I'm very confident as to dates, but that doesn't count, I gather). I expect that the 12-week scan will now be much later, too.

I don't have particularly high expectations and tend to trust the system, but surprised at the implication that I should know better how it all works and pre-empt mistakes.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:59:24

For a start that's terrible you weren't referred in the first place. When you go for your scan just explain what happened I guess. My midwife was a bit ditzy at the start and I wasn't sure on her but she's got a lot better.

Lozmatoz Wed 04-Oct-17 21:15:57

I’m on my 4th pregnancy and didn’t bother telling go/midwife for ages. Was around 9 weeks when I made the call. It didn’t mean I got my scan late, they just booked me in for it and my bloods when I had my checking in app.

Ignore the nob on the phone! You’re doing everything right. Who cares what she thinks.

Greil Thu 05-Oct-17 14:19:13

I finally got through today :-) - I think I was panicking a bit & overreacted (I don't like being talked to like a naughty child!)

My guess is the GP couldn't get through either!

I'm being booked in on Monday. Fingers crossed!

Lozmatoz Thu 05-Oct-17 14:59:15

Glad it’s getting sorted! Well done

MarmiteAndPB Thu 05-Oct-17 15:08:28

Similar thing happened to me - except I was sent around the houses from the GP to the midwife centre, to the individual midwife for my area, who then said that she couldn't speak to me at all until the GP's referral came through and I had to ask the GP to resend it! So annoying as there was a few days' wait between each conversation (no-one ever got back to me when they said they would). And I was starting to panic because they couldn't book me in for my 12 week scan until after I'd had the booking in appointment, which I couldn't get them to schedule!

All worked out in the end but not a great start to a first pregnancy. My booking in appointment had to be with a different area's midwife because it needed to be rushed in. I called up the hospital the day after my booking appointment and they managed to get my scan booked for fairly short notice, which was my main concern. Ended up having the 12 week scan just within the necessary timeframe.

Since then I've seen my actual midwife once and was given her number again. I've sent a couple of questions by text and been completely ignored, but found the answers through another route. I think depending on your area and how pressed the midwives are, it can be a real pain to get a hold of them. Not their fault that they are understaffed, but not easy when as a first-timer you don't know anything about the system or what to do.

Glad that you've managed to get it sorted at last!

Expectingbsbunumber2 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:11:09

Good glad it's getting sorted 😊

JennyBlueWren Thu 05-Oct-17 19:03:03

Glad you've finally got your booking booked! Where I am you contact the midwives directly (number on GP's website and also available from receptionist). When I phoned I got an answer phone but they phoned back quite quickly. Apparently they don't have a receptionist so it's just if a midwife is in that the phone is answered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now