Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Talk to me about consultant led care instead of midwife led!

(14 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 04-Oct-17 09:25:16

I'm consultant led because my BMI is 36. With my first pregnancy I was MW led so I just saw the community MW at all of my antenatal check ups. What does consultant led care mean, will I have check ups with the Dr instead? If not, when do I actually see a Dr? Just got an appointment for my 12 week scan and rather than being at our local hospital, it's at the big one in our nearest city, I'm assuming that's because I might have to see the Dr?

4evernamechanging Wed 04-Oct-17 09:28:52

I'm consultant led and so far have seen no different to previous pregnancy. I have my first meeting with consultant in 2 weeks (il be 21 weeks). I was told I'd probably have additional scans from 28 weeks and will be induced at the end.
With my daughter my scans were at a hospital 45 mins away, this time at the hospital 20 mins away so actually more convenient! My consultant works from closer hospital so maybe it's to do with that, I'd expect your consultant meetings to be at the hospital your scan is at.

Ratbagratty Wed 04-Oct-17 09:31:36

I'm consultant led following hellp syndrome. I had a appointment with the consultant around 18weeks (think this depends on availability), she went through past history and put a plan in place for the rest of the pregnancy. I see both local midwife and the consultants department on a rota (high risk pregnancy). Try not to worry, you will see the consultant team and there may be a chance they refer you back to midwife led, if they don't it's just like being midwife led but generally involving a few extra hospital appointments.

Cracklesfire Wed 04-Oct-17 09:33:18

I'm consultant led because of a health condition. Last time I saw consultant at 12 week appointment then again about two weeks before my due date. In between I had extra growth scans and saw my midwife at GP practice like normal. I saw the consultant endocrinologist every four weeks to monitor my health condition during my pregnancy and he would send the obstetric consultant what she needed to know. This time I'm seeing endo this week then I've got an appointment with obs consultant next week at same time as my 12 week scan. I don't imagine I'll see her again until nearer my due date if it goes like before.

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 09:35:42

I was consultant led due to twins. I found it reassuring

cakesandphotos Wed 04-Oct-17 09:38:59

I’m high risk so consultant led. I still have my normal MW appointments. I saw consultant at 16 weeks and will see him after each of growth scans

Hairgician Wed 04-Oct-17 09:47:21

Consultant led with shared care for me. Due to having cs previously. Means i don't get to try midwife led unit. Though may request elcs this time anyway.

Mummyme87 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:47:22

If it's for BMI, I suspect it will be a one of consultant appt.. discuss risks and plan for birth then sign back to midwife led care.

I am consultant led for previous CS, PPH and suspected GDM. I have seen consultant at 13weeks, next consultant appt is 32weeks to finalise plans for birth. Everything else is with a midwife

honeysucklejasmine Wed 04-Oct-17 09:47:40

I was consultant led. I have a few medical conditions and a higher BMI.

Tbh at my hospital, a BMI of 36, assuming you are otherwise well, would result in one appointment and then being referred back to midwife.

Rockandrollwithit Wed 04-Oct-17 09:50:03

I was consultant led due to many issues during my previous birth. I only saw the consultant from 32 weeks, which is when I requested a section.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 04-Oct-17 09:50:47

I'm consultant led due to high BMI and twins. I have normal MW appointments but have also had growth scans every month and a consultant's appointment after each. I find the extra monitoring reassuring.

MooChops89 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:54:06

Similar to others have said. I'm the same as you OP. In my trust it means I'll see the Drs (Not always the consultant, just someone from their team) probably at 20 weeks with my anatomy scan, then they will decide if they need to see me again. I'll have growth scans at 30 and 36 weeks and it will depend on baby's growth as to the plan for birth. Other than that I'll see my midwife in community as normal, the Dr appts are extras

Oly5 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:56:57

I'm consultant led and it's great. Normal mw care plus extra monitoring on top!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 05-Oct-17 19:45:24

Thanks everyone, that's helpful smile so it's likely that I'll see the consultant once maybe twice then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now