Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16wks. Can/could you feel baby?

(28 Posts)
Pinky333777 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:19:13

Apart from a slightly bigger tummy and the joys of no periods I'm still not feeling very pregnant!
Is this normal for a first baby?
I haven't felt any 'flutters' or movement apps like bounty tell me I could/should around now.
I don't know if I should worry.
I have another month to go before the 2nd scan. I'm trying to relax until then.

When did you first feel baby?

Anyone's little one being rather active at the moment and you'd like to share with us? Xxxsmile

Tilapia Mon 02-Oct-17 12:20:18

At 16 weeks I was the same. First flutters around 19/20 weeks.

user1493413286 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:21:43

I had my first movements at 19 weeks so I wouldn’t worry

Expectingbsbunumber2 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:28:16

With my first I felt movements around 18 weeks so don't worry.

Frazzled2207 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:57:37

With my first it was after my 20week scan, 21-22 weeks.
If you have anterior placenta its very common.

With my second it was before my 12 week scan.

DeadDoorpost Mon 02-Oct-17 13:12:58

First movements at 18 weeks but took me a week to realise what they were. I've also got an anterior placenta so I didn't feel them much at all for several weeks

nellyboo2 Mon 02-Oct-17 13:17:37

I felt movement at 16 weeks smile

cakesandphotos Mon 02-Oct-17 13:23:20

I felt a couple of pops at 16 weeks and then not much for a couple of weeks. Now 20 weeks and baby is booting me and making my tummy move. My friend didn’t feel any movement at all until 20 weeks though so everyone is different smile Hearing the heartbeat at my 16 week appointment was very reassuring

gunting Mon 02-Oct-17 13:27:34

I think I felt my baby at 18 weeks exactly

Kittykat93 Mon 02-Oct-17 13:34:07

I felt very subtle movements occasionally at around 16 weeks, but it's totally normal not to feel anything till later smile also depends on the position of the placenta etc

AnUtterIdiot Mon 02-Oct-17 13:36:19

I did feel very subtle movements somewhere between 14-16 weeks, but that's apparently very unusual. I've got twins which might have made the movements a bit more pronounced maybe? Definitely the advice is that you may not feel anything between 16 and 25 weeks and it depends on stuff like where the placenta is situated (anterior placenta = muffled movements) so I wouldn't worry too much.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 02-Oct-17 13:38:06

Also, when I say "very subtle movements" I'm literally talking about one or two episodes of movements which felt like tiny fingers tapping very quickly and gently on my insides, about two weeks apart, following which there was nothing until about 20 weeks and I was convinced everything had gone wrong.

And then between 20 and 24 weeks I kept pouncing on the husband and demanding that he feel my belly and of course he couldn't feel anything because the movements take a while to get strong enough to be felt on the inside...

AprilShowers16 Mon 02-Oct-17 13:39:00

With my first I didn't feeling anything until 20 weeks. Pregnant with my second and felt him from 16 weeks, don't know whether that's just because I knew what I was looking for or because my body has changed? If you feel gas feelings that might actually be the baby - it's hard to tell at first

AnUtterIdiot Mon 02-Oct-17 13:39:12

28 weeks: the point where your bump gets big enough to prop a book or device on to read, but also the point at which the baby starts booting at anything that's propped on the bump grin

Fishcalledlola Mon 02-Oct-17 13:42:05

Had my first flutterings at 17 weeks, won't be long now wink

emma1282 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:15:21

When my little boy was born, I remember having the first flutters around 20th week.

So, don;t worry. It would take 3 more weeks for you to feel the baby's presence. Do share with us your experience when you get the first flutter smile All the best!

RockinRobinTweets Mon 02-Oct-17 21:23:37

Not until after 20 week scan

ProperLavs Tue 03-Oct-17 06:52:47

about 15 weeks.

Rufffles Tue 03-Oct-17 06:58:32

Oooh, it's so exciting! I'm expecting my first too, and started feeling flutters (I think little taps is more accurate) at about 19-20 weeks.

CrazyOldBagLady Tue 03-Oct-17 08:44:19

Mine were only apparent at around 22ish weeks, and now they are pretty constant, so you have plenty time yet.

ScarlettInSpace Tue 03-Oct-17 08:51:54

I first felt the 'popping bubbles' at 16 weeks, I found lying still for 5 minutes in the morning after I'd woken up was a good time 😉 I'd feel it quite a bit fir a few days then nothing for a few days, no real pattern.

I felt her first proper kick at about 20 weeks, I was dropping off to sleep and it felt like an electric shock/thud that scared the life out of me!

I'm 24 weeks now and the last few days we can feel her outside too - especially when I lie down to relax, budding gymnast in here I think... she's definitely developing a routine too, she's particularly active at about 3 points across the day/evening.

savagehk Tue 03-Oct-17 09:09:23

I didn't like the bit between the scans as aside from the growing bump I didn't feel pregnant at all and couldn't feel movement. I did feel a pop or two close to my second scan. My first movement was very odd, like a gas bubble (only way I can describe it). It was so clear and distinct though, if it had been a gas bubble there would have been some.... consequences.... and there were none :D

After that it was flutters etc like you'd expect.

With my second I was feeling movement from very early on (I was concerned it might be twins!). Every pregnancy different, every baby different, and very common to feel movement 'later' with your first, especially if your placenta is at the front.

mindutopia Tue 03-Oct-17 09:16:22

With my first I felt movement from 13 weeks, but that is pretty early. I definitely felt pregnant, more uncomfortable, sore. But second time around I felt completely normal still at 16 weeks and was fitting in my normal jeans for another week until suddenly I felt very pregnant (though felt movement from 11 weeks). But yes, it's very normal not to feel movement yet still at 16 weeks and you likely will pop and feel very different soon.

Needalifeoverhaul Tue 03-Oct-17 09:25:33

At 20 weeks...i remember because it was over Christmas smile I kept getting asked by the midwife though from 16 weeks and ended up convinced something must be wrong!

sinceyouask Tue 03-Oct-17 09:27:49

Yes with all 3. But with ds1 at 16 weeks they were v faint flutters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now