Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which side sleeper?

(65 Posts)
Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 08:26:12

Does anyone have either a snuzpod, a baby nest or a mother care Tutti bambini?
Or does anyone know whether any of them do up whilst attached to the bed- ie so I could put the baby to bed then leave the room if I needed to for a min without taking the whole thing off?
Any other advantages /disadvantages?
Thanks in advance!

mammabear4 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:25:37

I had a chicco next 2 me crib and loved it! Found it absolutely invaluable for breastfeeding (despite mainly cosleeping in the end anyway! I researched a few different ones and thought that was the best value/best looking in my opinion!

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 09:31:03

Thank you that's one I'd not looked at! Had a quick look- it looks a bit bigger than the others maybe which may be good.
Can you remember could it be zipped up to keep it safe while.attached to.the bed?

akpounce Sun 01-Oct-17 09:32:44

The newest one, the next 2 me dream can be zipped up while attached but the older one can't.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 01-Oct-17 09:34:50

We had a bednest and I loved it. The side can go up.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 09:35:37

Ah thank you that's helpful! That explains the price difference ! Mother care's website is so annoying that I'm finding it hard to even look there.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:52

Great to know that about the bed nest. That was my preferred one as it can be hired then I started getting swayed by features of the others like ability to be tilted for reflux, rocked etc then got into a muddle!

SophieGiroux Sun 01-Oct-17 09:48:16

I got the tutti bambini but did want one I could put the side up when attached too, wish I'd got a bit moe informed before I bought. It is a lovely cot though and the snuzpod was far too small, wouldn't last 5 min.
There's been a lot of problems with trying to get bedding and mattress protectors to for as well with the tutti as mothercare is the only stockist and they never have any stock! Most people have had to make do with ill fitting sheets (I got snuzpod ones which do for but curl up the corners of the matttess a bit).

SophieGiroux Sun 01-Oct-17 09:49:00

For = fit

Tw1nsetAndPearls Sun 01-Oct-17 09:50:49

We rented a bednest - it was one of our best decisions.

The only problem with it is that when you lower the screen you end up sleeping on the divider which is really uncomfortable.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 09:55:21

Thanks all , I might go back to my plan of hiring the bed nest in that case.
Thanks for the info on stock issues- I don't want to order too early so that's very useful to know. I hadn't realised the snuzpod was so small either. Definitely want it to last longer than a moses basket because there isn't room in our room for a cot.

Tryingtokeepfit Sun 01-Oct-17 10:10:36

I believe the Chicco next to me is one of the largest in size.

It would fit an average 6 (+?) month old in it. Whereas the snuzpod is much smaller, so wouldn't be able to be used as long.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 10:38:18

Thanks tryingtokeepfit. It does look good too although obviously more money. Could re sell but the ease of hiring and returning the next to me appeals! I will go and check them out I think and at least that will give more of an idea of size etc

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 01-Oct-17 10:52:32

The bednest is not huge. We used it up to about 9 months but it's definitely not big enough for a sleep pod (if you have sleep issues that's one of the standard recommendations on the mumsnet sleep board and oh how I wished I could have tried one!)

RedBlackberries Sun 01-Oct-17 10:53:01

I'm going to rent a bednest. £45 for 6 months. A side Cot is one of the things I really regret not having last time. I had a really impractical wicker Cot with flouncy white frilly bits everywhere that creaked every time dd moved and woke her up sad. Choosing practically over style this time!!

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 11:16:41

£45 I thought it was £89! Maybe there is an offer on?
It's hard to say isn't it on the sleep pod etc. I think the bedside sleepers that tilt look great as I had two babies with reflux but this time could ( I hope!) be different. Then the cost is so much better!

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 11:19:38

Ah for 6 months perhaps I was looking at the "till you need it" option.

CrazyOldBagLady Sun 01-Oct-17 12:07:32

My DH and I are trying to decide which side sleeper would suit us best at the moment. The Bednest's ability to close when attached to the bed sounds great, but in their FAQs they say that when you sleep the side should be closed, and someone up thread mentions that if it is open then you have to sleep on the side which is uncomfortable.

Wouldn't sleeping with the side closed defeat the object of having an attached side sleeper somewhat? Has anyone got any opinions on this they could share?

Tw1nsetAndPearls Sun 01-Oct-17 12:14:27

Wouldn't sleeping with the side closed defeat the object of having an attached side sleeper somewhat? Has anyone got any opinions on this they could share?

It is a while since we used ours but I thought the advice was to have it either fully open or fully closed when asleep ( there was a baby fatality linked with the side being half open I think)

I suppose you could put the side up after feeding at night but our boy wanted to me to hold his hand as he went to sleep and so we had the side fully down and it was uncomfortable

CrazyOldBagLady Sun 01-Oct-17 12:18:02

The advice on their site is to have it fully closed when you are sleeping.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO TO SLEEP PLEASE ENSURE THE SIDE PANELS ARE FULLY RAISED AND SECURED. YOU CANNOT SUPERVISE WHILST ASLEEP.

From their FAQs here.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 12:18:27

I would only want to put the side up if I was not in the bed so probably only if dealing with other children or nipping to get something etc . Yes I would have thought it was about having it either fully up or fully down too.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 12:19:10

Oh right! I wonder what the other side sleepers have as advice ?

Herculesfan Sun 01-Oct-17 12:23:40

Don't know what the official guidelines are but we had the snuzpod wedged in between the bed and a wall somdidnt actually attach it. It meant that when she was just napping during the day I could pull it out to the middle of the room and put the side up. Then as we were preparing to move her to a cot I moved t to the end of our bed and put the side up. Basically as soon as she could roll the side stayed up but before that I slept with the side down.

CrazyOldBagLady Sun 01-Oct-17 13:09:58

Oh right! I wonder what the other side sleepers have as advice ?

I've just checked this and found the following:

-Snuzpod: Recommend that the sides are up "The safest way to use your bedside crib, is with the mesh wall zipped up and you should keep it zipped as often as possible. After feeding or comforting your baby, we recommend the mesh wall is returned to its ‘zipped up’, position; to provide them with their own safe sleeping area." User guide here.

- Tutti Bambini Cozee: Doesn't say one way or the other. User guide here.

- Chicco Next 2 Me: Not relevant as the sides are fixed in the down position when the side sleeping mode is used.

Mortigua Sun 01-Oct-17 16:36:58

Thank you! Ok looks like the next to me is out if it's only in the one position although I will check out the newer version as sounds like it may be different. I guess it's still way easier than trying to settle a sleeping baby by lowering in to a basket or cot. I used to hold dd2 's hand through the cot bars half the night smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now