Talk

Advanced search

Obstetric Cholestasis

(5 Posts)
emilyandleila Sat 30-Sep-17 10:44:30

Hi, I would like some advice if anybody has any. I was diagnosed with obstetric Cholestasis in my first pregnancy at 38 weeks and was induced at 39. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second and have been experiencing the itching again. My midwife took tests at 18 weeks and they came back normal with the bile acid levels at 3. I've had more tests done 2 days ago and just got the results back, normal again but at 5 this time. Does this mean anything? Why am I still itching if the tests are coming back clear? I know what it's like as I had it in the first pregnancy and it's the exact same itch in the same areas but my midwife seems to think I'm anticipating it because I've already had it. She thinks that it's to do with my wash powder or shower gel but I've not changed anything at all!

PeasAndHarmony Sat 30-Sep-17 10:46:51

Keep getting tested, ICP doesn't always show up on the tests straight away.

Cin3ma Sat 30-Sep-17 10:48:44

Yes, you should be tested regularly from now on as things can change rapidly and having OC in one pregnancy makes the odds much higher that you'll have it again.

MadameJosephine Sat 30-Sep-17 10:53:59

Sometimes pregnant women do present with an itch and don't have OC but as you've had it before you should be getting your bloods checked regularly anyway particularly around the gestation that you developed it last time. In the meantime you could try piriton and ask the pharmacist to make you up some aqueous cream with added menthol to help the itch (GP should be able to prescribe this so you can get it free of charge)

GreggsSausageRolls Mon 09-Oct-17 21:29:38

OP I've had OC in both pregnancies so far, currently pregnant with third. Consultant advised me I would definitely get it again as it is to do with the chemistry of the parents that determines whether you get it, so if you got it once, you will again. Be persistent in getting your bile levels checked. I'm only six weeks pg but now I will have a section at 37 weeks because of OC confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now