Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxiety and panic attacks in pregnancy.

(23 Posts)
Vi37 Fri 29-Sep-17 16:20:25

Just need a bit of support if possible. Im 21 weeks pregnant with my first child, I'm in a vicious circle of having anxiety and panic attacks then being terrified that the panic attacks have hurt my baby already which then in turn makes me panic again. I can't get out of it. I went to the docs and waited two weeks for a special mental health midwife but was told she no longer worked there. I then was told to refer myself to the mental health team, I've been waiting two weeks now and they've said they'll get in touch with me next week. I'm petrified I've hurt my baby in some way even though the 20 week scan was fine. Does anyone have any positive stories that will help me? Thank you in advance.

Vi37 Fri 29-Sep-17 19:09:21

Anyone?

GlitterSparkles17 Fri 29-Sep-17 19:17:41

I promise that you haven't hurt your baby. I suffered really bad with anxiety during the beginning stages of my pregnancy, I'd have panic attacks on a daily basis especially during the night but I'm now 39 weeks and I can't remember the last panic attack I had! As the pregnancy progressed the more I relaxed and stopped worrying. I would keep pestering the mental health team until you get somewhere, they can't just leave you wondering what's going on.

Dontgiveaflyingfuck Fri 29-Sep-17 19:28:39

I had antenatal depression and awful anxiety. I hated the baby yet spent most of my time panicing that my negative mood would impact the baby. I was lucky and got fab support from a mental health team. Dd is now 7 and a perfectly normal healthy child whom i utterly adore. You cannot hurt your baby with anxiety.

Vi37 Fri 29-Sep-17 20:31:23

Thank you, just been really silly and googled and seen all the doom stories etc I really wish I hadn't done it I wish google hadn't been invented somerimes. X

Cantchooseaname Fri 29-Sep-17 20:36:36

I had exactly the same cycle- panic, think it would harm baby, panic again.
It was all fine, she's a lively 17 month old, completely crackers.
There are online self help things that might give you something to focus on whilst the 'official' support works out.
Mindfulness, meditation and grounding- all techniques that can help you feel a bit more in control, maybe?
Please keep pestering gp/ midwives.

sourpatchkid Fri 29-Sep-17 20:51:33

You can't hurt the baby with panic attacks. You just can't. It's impossible. Anything you've read is nonsense.

I had insane anxiety during pregnancy (slept an hour and night because of it) baby is absolutely fine

But I agree pester your midwife or GP. It shouldn't be your job to sort this alone flowers

Vi37 Fri 29-Sep-17 23:14:30

Thank you. X

Meow34 Fri 29-Sep-17 23:20:49

Panic attacks cannot harm you or your baby. A panic attack is just our bodies natural response to a perceived threat, it feels awful while it's happening but that's just because your body speeds up a little and often this is at a time where it is not needed. No brain you do not need to activate my fight or flight response while I'm down the bread isle in Tesco.

flowers

Vi37 Sat 30-Sep-17 09:25:39

Feeling a bit better after these replies. Thank you Now I need to stop the panicking. X

sourpatchkid Sat 30-Sep-17 09:57:22

Google mindfulness or grounding techniques and a deep breathing relaxation

But most of all when it kicks in just say to yourself "this is just anxiety, it can't hurt us, it's happened before and it will pass"

Vi37 Sat 30-Sep-17 20:25:11

Thank you so much everyone, don’t feel quite so alone now. Xx

ChocolatePancake Sat 30-Sep-17 20:35:00

They can't hurt your baby flowers your baby is perfectly happy and content in there and doesn't know anything other than they are very comfortable smile

Vi37 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:05:57

Still struggling and still no one has got in touch from the mental health team. The nhs is a joke sometimes. This will be 5 weeks I’ve waited it’s a long time to be worried about my baby.

Dreams16 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:39:10

Hi Op I was the same when pregnant with my DC I had anxiety issues have suffered with anxiety on and off but when pregnant it seemed to escalate I felt like something would happen to my baby I’d be a bad Mum of course these are worries that most mums have but mine just made me ill I ended up going to doctors and getting referred to an antenatal counselling sessions which helped and I was able to enjoy the remainder of my pregnancy without fearing panic attacks

I hope you feel better soon and can try and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy

Dreams16 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:41:43

Also op regarding that mindfulness that someone else just mentioned you can type that into you tube and there will be lots of relaxation tips and coping mechanisms for when your feeling anxious or are having a panic attack another one that helped me to keep me calm was to listen to music and colouring I know sounds daft but colouring was really relaxing helped to keep me calm

LadyPug Thu 05-Oct-17 17:53:01

Hey op, you're not alone, anxiety in pregnancy is really common. Do you know what's causing the bad thoughts? Are you worried about something in particular?

Vi37 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:01:30

Thank you for your replies. I’m worried about my baby, the problem is that I googled when I first got pregnant and knowing all the bad things that can happen is all in my head now. Then the panic will come from nowhere, it’s like I’m focusing on each and every breath and I’m so worried that the panic will harm baby now and I can’t stop it, I want to enjoy his movements etc but it’s hard when you’re trying to breathe properly.

Vi37 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:03:01

I’m sat here struggling while my other half is watching funny clips on you tube and laughing, completely oblivious to how I’m feeling even though I’ve told him and broke down in front of him.

LadyPug Thu 05-Oct-17 18:56:56

Just breathe - try doing this - put your finger over one nostril and breathe in fully the one nostril then block the other nostril and breathe out with that one. Breathe in again with the one you have already open then switch nostrils to breathe out. Repeat. This breathing is guaranteed to calm you down. If you change your breathing your thoughts will follow. Try to relax your mind and just say I am present, all is ok, I am present, all is ok x

SandunesAndRainclouds Thu 05-Oct-17 19:02:40

Anxiety UK

Mind

You'll get lots of help, advice and support from both Anxiety UK and Mind. If you've got a Mind local to you, they may offer a drop in service where you can talk to someone face to face.

Breathing - breathe in for 4 and out for 6 when you feel a panic rising. It helps get rid of the adrenaline that is building up.

Is your partner usually supportive?

Vi37 Thu 05-Oct-17 19:31:48

Yes, I think it’s more that he doesn’t know what to do so it’s his coping strategy.

Vi37 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:47:40

Great, just heard back from the mental health team and they’ve sending me to cbt therapy and it will be weeks away. If I wasn’t pregnant it would be months. If only I could win the lottery and go private I’d be in next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now