Talk

Advanced search

Mucus plug, thrush or something else?

(21 Posts)
1Namechange1 Tue 26-Sep-17 13:06:06

I've name changed because this is really probably tmi but...

25 weeks this week. Today I went to the toilet and when I wiped there was a lump of brownish, greyish, thick, almost solid discharge. It was almost leathery in texture. About 2cm long and 1cm wide.

Do you think it's mucus plug or thrush or something else?

I do have a photo but not sure if it's too much to post? Although it's very hard to describe without seeing it!

OnNaturesCourse Tue 26-Sep-17 14:45:54

Following this as I previously posted something similar which got no responses 😒

Have you had thrush in pregnancy before?

1Namechange1 Tue 26-Sep-17 16:24:24

Thank you OnNaturesCourse
No I've never had thrush in pregnancy before (this is only my 2nd) and I can't remember the last time I had it at all. Im sure I have as I think everyone does get it, but it must have been years and years ago and I can't remember what it was like. Which is why I was struggling to identify if this is was what it is.
I would have thought thrush would be white and this was not white. I've been googling and it could be another infection called bacterial vaginosis, which will need antibiotics if that's what it is. But mine has no smell and that infection is supposed to smell unpleasant.
I called doctors and a gp is going to call me back later so I can describe to them and see what they think.

What did yours turn out to be?

Lozmatoz Tue 26-Sep-17 16:50:05

I've had thrush a million times and doesn't sound like it at all.

Could just be dried blood if brown mixed with discharge. I would call your midwife and ask them.

1Namechange1 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:00:48

Thanks Lozmatoz I didn't think it looked like thrush either because thrush is white, isn't it?
Waiting on phone consultation with doctor I'll describe it to them and see what they think.

Littlekezza Tue 26-Sep-17 17:11:08

If you want to post pic..
Personally I'd say not thrush but I've also had lumpy discharge this pregnancy at times and midwives have been fine about it they just said as long as it doesn't hurt to toilet and no irritation it's fine

1Namechange1 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:42:57

Ok very sorry if this is way too gross.... doesn't look like thrush does it??

MagicFajita Tue 26-Sep-17 17:47:31

Please get yourself checked out op. It does look like it could be your mucus plug. I don't mean to panic you but a trip to the hospital/phonecalls to midwifery team won't be frowned upon.

Good luck.

Jellybabie3 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:53:01

Agreed, speak to a midwife. Mucus plugs can replenish though cant they if come away early? (I am sure i read that somewhere) best of luck OP xx

MrsEileithyia Tue 26-Sep-17 17:53:10

That looks like my mucus plug did. Don’t worry as they can grow back but I would be on the phone to triage. Phone them please x

1Namechange1 Tue 26-Sep-17 18:12:12

Still waiting on call back from gp. They should call by 6.30 if not I'll call midwife. Probably should have called them first!

Littlekezza Tue 26-Sep-17 18:24:52

I don't think it looks like either but more plug looking than thrush but as everyone says they do grow back but can I ask was this only occasion this happened!?

OnNaturesCourse Tue 26-Sep-17 18:27:43

Mine was the same, but more watery looking. Kind of like jelly? I've not found out what it is. I can go days with normal discharge then get this for a few days. It's very strange.

Lozmatoz Tue 26-Sep-17 18:35:03

Yes, looks like your plug. But you believe how much actually comes out when it's time. Probably nothing to worry about but let the professionals decide!

Maybebaby2 Tue 26-Sep-17 18:47:11

Littlekezza yeah this is the only time this has happened.

OnNaturesCourse that's another reason I wasn't sure because this was rubbery and I thought mucus plug was like jelly. Did you call an speak to anyone about yours?

Gp has told me to call midwife so I'm going to do that now.

Maybebaby2 Tue 26-Sep-17 18:49:46

Damn it I forgot to name change again! I only did at first because I was embarrassed.... oh well I'm past that now I guess!

Littlekezza Tue 26-Sep-17 19:13:52

Lol I wouldn't worry about name change I've seen and read some graphic things but pregnancy is full of cringey things we've all seen it before, if it's only time I wouldn't worry but show midwife photo at next appointment

MagicFajita Tue 26-Sep-17 19:24:23

Don't be embarrassed op , there's nothing glam or pretty about pregnancy.

My DP said I look like a sexy weeble the other day...if that's not embarrassing then I don't know what is!

Seriously though , I hope all is well with you.

Maybebaby2 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:53:36

Thanks all, midwife has said to monitor tonight, if there is anymore I need to call triage back.

If not I need book a doctors appointment to get a swab to see if it's an infection.

She also wants me to book an appointment with midwife this week, and show the photo. I asked wouldn't that be too gross to show and she laughed and said no they are very used to seeing photos of all sorts! I definitely need to not be so embarrassed about this kind of thing!

user1485788422 Tue 26-Sep-17 22:16:45

Definitely looks like your mucus plug. I started losing mine around the same time. But don't worry! If you're body is not ready to give birth your body will grow another mucus plug back. I lost my mucus plug several times x

OnNaturesCourse Wed 27-Sep-17 08:32:51

Hey hon. I've not had mine checked as I'm in the middle of changing GP and midwife (which is a nightmare at 32weeks, believe me) but I'll mention it at my first appointment x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now