Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Flu Vaccine

(13 Posts)
ForeverHopeful21 Mon 25-Sep-17 17:24:25

My midwife advised that I have the flu vaccine asap. I'm currently 10 weeks. For some reason I feel really nervous about having it done.
My last pregnancy ended in MC so I think I'm feeling over-cautious about everything. Plus the last time I had the vaccine, I ended up getting swine flu and was extremely ill for 6 weeks confused
I think I'm just looking for reassurance and for someone to tell me if I'm being ridiculous or not???

GummyGoddess Mon 25-Sep-17 17:42:47

I had mine at 6 weeks with ds, they wouldn't let me book an appointment after seeing the midwife and just shooed me into the room to see the nurse before I had time to think about it! Ds is almost 1 now and pregnancy and birth was straightforward and he is a perfectly healthy baby.

You will be ok, and this flu season is supposed to be horrendous apparently.

ChocolatePancake Mon 25-Sep-17 17:55:11

I nearly died of flu when I was pregnant with my youngest. OH was working away and I was so weak I couldn't do anything, when my mum came to visit she found me coughing up blood and drifting in and out of consciousness... was admitted to hospital and nearly missed Christmas! I'd definitely get it done!

NerNerNerNerNerNerNerNerBATMAN Mon 25-Sep-17 17:56:43

The flu vaccine DOESNT cause flu. It contains an inactivated form if the virus so it's physically impossible to catch flu from the vaccine.

That said, it takes about 10-14 days for your body to develop a full immune response to the vaccine, so if you were hit with the virus around the time if the jab then I can see why you'd think it caused your flu. It's a very common misconception.

PP poster is correct, flu season is going to be a bad one this year so everyone who is eligible should get it. The NHS choices website has very good information on it.

Alexandra07 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:11:10

I did it on Saturday. It contains a dead virus, you are not going to get the flu with the vaccine. You may had cold symptoms for 1-2 days and that's it (which I had yesterday). Now I feel fine and I just hope that I will not need get the flu the next 10-14 that takes for the vaccination to work! Just do it for you and your lo! If you worry about something, discuss it with your midwife.

Smurf123 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:15:02

I have booked my flu vaccine appointment but earliest I can get at my gp is the 30th October... Being that I work with kids im slightly worried that that may be too late in the season?

Mumbofeet Mon 25-Sep-17 18:16:45

Like the others have said it's impossible to catch flu from the flu vaccine as its not live. Its so much safer for both you and baby to have it than not have it!

Alexandra07 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:33:02

Smurf123 I did mine in boots, for free as I am pregnant. Otherwise I would have had to wait too long to see my gp. Maybe you can try boots.

Smurf123 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:43:47

Thanks Alexandra unfortunately boots only offer it on nhs in England and Wales.. I'm in NI.. Although I might go in and ask just to be sure.. Would rather get it earlier rather than later. Here my gp only offer it on a Wednesday morning and because I need an afternoon appointment say they can't see me to the end of October..

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 26-Sep-17 09:46:26

Thank you for the replies. Sorry if my post confused a few - I know that the vaccine won't give me flu and I didn't think for one minute that it gave me swine flu .....it's just an association I have with how ill I was last time.

Alexandra07 Thanks for that, I'll try Boots!

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 26-Sep-17 09:52:33

I just had my flu vaccine (free on NHS) at Sainsbury's pharmacy. Very quick and easy to book while I was shopping anyway, managed to get an appointment at 8.20 so wasn't even late for work. GP does a flu clinic but you're talking several weeks to book an appointment.

ItsAHotDay Tue 26-Sep-17 09:53:09

If you don't want to have the vaccine, don't have it.
Your midwife only advised you because that is her job.
You are not being ridiculous, only cautious.
Don't doubt your own concerns.
When I was pregnant some years ago now, not in the UK, a woman lost her baby after having that vaccine.

Alexandra07 Tue 26-Sep-17 18:51:09

There is a reason why midwives and gps suggest pregnant women should have the flu jab. Just make an informed decision knowing the risks (no evidence on risks) and benefits (plenty):

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/flu-jab-vaccine-pregnant.aspx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: