Talk

Advanced search

New to pregnancy

(4 Posts)
TerraForma Sat 23-Sep-17 15:39:22

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago I found out that I'm pregnant (5 weeks along now).
This is mine and my partners first child, so I was wondering what kind of things should be avoided during pregnancy and what things are good for pregnancy. TIA

DeadDoorpost Sat 23-Sep-17 17:46:38

A decent balanced diet is always a good base, and drinking plenty of water helps as well. As for foods to avoid, you'll hear some people say not to eat runny eggs but they're absolutely fine as long as they've got the red lion stamp on them. I tend to avoid soft cheeses (brie, camembert etc) unless they've been cooked fully. Cream cheese is also OK but if you're ever worried then I'd steer clear.
There's also some fish/seafood they advise you not to eat but seeing as I don't eat fish or seafood I'm not really up to speed on what's OK and what isn't. Your Dr will probably be the best person to ask.

Of course, diet can go out the window if you end up really sick or cravings kick in, so don't ever feel bad if you find yourself eating ice cream every night, or that chips and pizza are the only thing you can keep down.
And congratulations!!

Changerofname987654321 Sat 23-Sep-17 17:48:24

The NHS advice is very clear. It is great place to look.

Congratulations

TheCatsMother99 Sat 23-Sep-17 17:51:21

This is a good guide for food:

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

Make sure you're taking a multivitamin regularly and having a healthy, balanced diet. You may be pregnant but you're not actually eating for two so no need to over indulge.

Avoid hot baths, Jacuzzis, speed boats 😂 erm, what else? 😂

Oh, and congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now