Consultant doesn't want me to have a c section(27 Posts)
Hi, went for 22 week appointment today. I had a c section with ds as he was breech. I said I'd prefer the same this time as I recovered well and felt happy with it. Consultant said 'it's such a pity you had the c section' She then said they certainly wouldn't book a c section before my due date. She would hope I have a quick natural vbac. That only if it wasn't happening quick ebough or if I went over ny due date that she would book me in for c section.
I'm gutted, I know there are much bigger problems in pregnancy, and I should just be happy all is going well. But I'm terrified of a natural birth and was happy to think I'd have another elcs. I had hoped to get a choice? Am I being ridiculous? I cried all the way home and my dh was less than understanding. I can't tell if it's pregnancy hormones or I'm over reacting but I'm really upset.
Sorry you didn't have a more supportive experience! I also had a section for breech for my first. I've opted for a vbac this time but I was never made to feel I couldn't have a section if I wanted to (though I wonder now what would have happened if I'd asked?). I'm planning to have vbac unless I get to the point they want to induce me, when I'd insist on elcs instead.
There are loads of good threads on here about how to get a section, maybe try searching for them? Sorry I don't have any links but if you can find the rcog guidelines on vbac/elcs risks read that before your next appointment so they know you've done your research. I'm sure you're definitely entitled to an elcs after already having one. They should respect your decision!
I'm really sorry they have ignored your wishes. I can understand why you're so upset, I would be too.
The NICE guidelines on Caesarean sections do give you a choice on this. Unfortunately you often have to dig your heels in.
Speak to the consultant/ your midwife again. Show that you understand the risks of a c-section and those of a VBAC and that you think a section is the right choice for you. Ask to be referred to a different consultant if the one you have doesn't respect your decision (by booking you a section for 39 weeks).
I had a maternal request c-section for my first baby (huge battle), a c-section for my second (less of a battle but still involved a trip to the "VBAC clinic" where they try to talk you into a VBAC) and I've a section booked for my third (booked by consultant within about 10 minutes of first seeing him).
Thanks for the replies. I was expecting to be roasted! I still feel shitty over it. I'm in Ireland, I've checked but there are no guidelines here apparently.
You do have a choice. If you go to the NHS website it clearly says that you are entitled to a C-section if you want one (reflecting the NICE guidelines referred to above). That doesn't mean they can't try to persuade you otherwise but if they don't persuade you then you don't have to have a VBAC.
Sorry, I missed that you're in Ireland. I think they're trying to reduce the C-section rate there but I think if you had a section previously they are supposed to offer you a second section? Is there an equivalent to PALS that you can speak to?
Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.
Ttbb she's in Ireland so in the HSE and hasn't said if she's private or a public patient.
Either way, OP you can use NICE guidelines and also ask to be referred to a different consultant if your one keeps up her reply of no.
I'm sorry that happened. I had a c-section with my eldest and wanted the same with my second child as I really really wanted to avoid an induction (unsuccessful with my eldest) or trying for a natural birth and ending up with an emergency c-section.
Anyway, I had a similar appointment to you (and I think I posted about it here actually as I was panicked). they kept saying 'things can change' and I went to the appointment with the VBAC midwife and listened to what they said. I just maintained that I wanted a caesarean and at my 36 week appointment with the consultant they booked me in for 39 weeks. It created a lot of uncertainty but in my experience if you maintain what you want then it will be respected.
@ttbb you sound like one of the brutes who add to the fear many women have surrounding childbirth. OP dig your heels in and get difficult. I paid private first time, second time I didn't go private but I told them what would be happening and I had my reasons and I got what I wanted. I would have been livid, beyond livid and hysterical if someone spoke to me like this. You should complain about your consultant and use whatever guidelines you need to to get the birth you want. You are entitled to have what you want - it's not up to the nasty bitches who think otherwise.
, OP you can use NICE guidelines
How? these apply to England (not even UK wide) and she's in Ireland (presumably Eire) so not even UK why would NICE guidelines be of use?
Thanks. I guess it's a case of waiting and just trying to be assertive about it.
I am in Ireland, was private last time, public this time as I thought it would be straightforward on my second. Also, my previous private consultant whom I found brilliant has retired anyway.
I find this subject makes some women very emmotive, so it's hard to discuss, some people just presume everyone wants a natural birth, but I found my c section experience great- easy recovery, no effect on breastfeeding , why wouldn't I want a repeat?
OP they don't presume you want a natural birth - they just don't care. It's cheaper for them if you do not have a c section. Some of the old school are also ideologically biased in favour of a natural birth. You need to see these people as temporary, they are there to facilitate what you want and look after you - that's what they get paid for. NOT for denying you a reasonable request. I agree it is an emotive subject I am usually quite sane but i was so furious when i felt i needed random woman's permission to do what i wanted for my baby and my body that im pretty sure they thought i would be suicidal if i didnt get one. So sad to think if i wasn't as visibly angry i might have been denied one. I have family in ireland and they all come to london for their babies or go private - sorry not helpful. Point is don't let them brainwash you - you are right to be upset!
I'm working on the basis green that evidence based clinical guidelines are useful in the absence of national maternity guidelines in Ireland.
They're not binding but many areas of maternity in Ireland refer to RCOG UK guidelines etc so it's not unusual. E.g. The info on ectopic pregnancy is lifted straight from the NHS Choices website here:
AIMS Ireland may also be of use
and quote NICE guidelines here http://aimsireland.ie/caesarean-section/
Hi op I am in Ireland and I have had 4 sections. When I had my second I went private as I was still too traumatised to go back public but if you want a section you tell them you want it. Don't say I would like or I'd prefer just say you want it , you understand the risks but this is how you want to give birth.
If the doctor is still a bit against it tell them you want it documented in your chart that you wanted a section and they refused. They won't want to do that so you'll have a section then.
Great Benby I will do that.
I did say three times today I want a c section but she definitely dismissed me.
If they do get difficult, all you have to do at about 38 weeks is start complaining of scar pain and tightening around your previous C Section site, they'll take you straight to theatre.
@sureitsgrand I'm pregnant with my second and my first pregnancy was also a section as he was breech!! I will be pushing for a section this time too, slightly different reasons but you aren't being unreasonable at all!! It's your body and baby and you know what's best .. I hope you do get the result you want xx
I'm in Ireland and had an emergency c section on my first (which I was actually delighted with) as with yourself found it a lovely experience and recovery was really quite easy.
With my second I was adamant I wanted a section again, I went it from my very first clinic appointment saying I had considered all my options and pros and cons of both and that I was 100% certain I wanted a section again. I was polite but assertive but literally never had so much as a "are you sure" they just went with my decision no questions asked!
The approach I was going to take if I had been met with any resistance was to ask them whether or not they could 100% guarantee me that my scar would not rupture during a vbac (obviously they can't) and then tell them well that is not a risk I am willing to take and that I wanted it noted in my notes that I have requested a section (on the above grounds) and been refused. My hope is that fear of being sued should the worse happen would be enough for them to back down. You could try that approach, however as I said I didn't need to do can't say whether it would work or not.
I'm currently pregnant with third and have been booked in for my section again with no problems at all.
Best of luck!
I'm midlands btw, pm if you want to know which hospital!
Ttbb. Also we are all clients to the NHS and it isn't a free service we all pay for it.
Don't be so heartless.
You are entitled to a c section if you want one and previously having had one it is safer to have another one instead of having a vbac.
I had a c section with my son and I will have another c section when we have another baby.
Nobody can make you give birth in a way which you don't agree to.
Don't agree with your consultant, tell them that you want a c section and have absolutely no desire to try for a VBAC.
Slightly controversial but I don't think vaginal birth should be the default assumption for any pregnant woman regardless of obstetric history.
Stand your ground
As mowgeli says, you're entitled to a c-section even if you haven't had one before. But if you have had one already, then you should definitely be offered a risk/ benefit analysis between a c-section and VBAC.
If, for example, the baby is very large then the unadjusted scar rupture rate of about 1/200 (which may anyway be higher than you are comfortable with) increases a lot. With my recent baby I was advised to have a c-section once the predicted weight (from scans) was 4.5kg (turned out to be spot on). A VBAC is not the same as a first-time vaginal birth because you're labouring with a scarred uterus.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.