Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are midwives on commission with slimming world!!!

(17 Posts)
Hannabee123 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:07:13

Yes i know I've gained weight and feel like a moose. Nearing the end and each appointment they mention slimming world angry
off!!!
I hate how I look stop telling me to pay some group and sort myself out cake

Sam91TRS15 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:21:04

I'm sorry about that, it seems very rude of your midwife! By the end of my pregnancy I must have gained about 5 stone overall, pregnancy I not a time to be having the extra stress of weight loss! If it helps, I have got most of the weight off, DD is 2, and that was without gym or dieting. It just takes time. smile

Cagliostro Wed 20-Sep-17 17:00:03

Nobody has mentioned losing weight or anything to me. I am high risk due to BMI but they haven't even weighed me since 12 weeks and I'm now 32. I had lost a little weight before conceiving and the consultant said "that's great, don't try to lose more, just make healthy choices" and that was it. I have only just had dietary advice as diagnosed with GD so am sugar testing etc.

Turns out I have lost weight anyway (decided to weigh myself recently and have lost 7lb in 20 weeks) and have been trying to make healthier choices throughout, but nobody has asked me about my weight. I suspect the approach varies by location.

My other pregnancies I gained shitloads FWIW and nobody said anything then either

FoofFighter Wed 20-Sep-17 17:02:33

They are simply doing their job as health care professionals to point out something to you that is detrimental to your health and can affect your pregnancy. They do not do this to deliberately upset people, they have a duty of care though.

Also they mention SW as it's the only dieting programme that's approved by Royal College of Midwives.

CoffeeAndCupcakes85 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:12:17

I had this when I was pregnant with DC1. One midwife kept telling me off for gaining too much weight and saying I should try slimming world. Annoyed me so much as I have a history of eating disorders (which is in my notes) and my pregnancy was the one time I was really being quite sensible with my eating hmm.

Hannabee123 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:47:59

It's not the eating it's because I sit on my bum too much for work and can't move about often. I've turned into a vegetable so yes the weight is creeping on. It's just that I really don't want to be preached at to join slimming world when I can think of better ways to spend my pennies in the run up to baby and Christmas! I know how to prepare a salad hmm I'm not perfect but I swear they are all on commission

Star141 Thu 21-Sep-17 00:04:04

Heaven forbid a health professional should recommend a way of improving your health hmm
Don't take it personally. It can be difficult to start an excercise regime and certain diet plans when pregnant, slimming world is one of the few you can do and many people find it very helpful.
No they definitely aren't commissioned. Just want the best for you and your baby.
But my friend is a midwife and with the stress of the job and pay I bet they wish they were commissioned if it made them a few extra pennies.

LiquoricePickle Thu 21-Sep-17 00:36:39

That's rude. I gained almost 4 stone, lost it all by three months without strict dieting and am now another stone under that. All I've done is breastfeed, play with my baby and ready relatively healthily. I still have crisis, biscuits etc. just not all the time. Congratulations on your almost out baby!

PokemonDont Thu 21-Sep-17 01:05:51

There's a difference between recommending a way of improving your health, and recommending a company that charges £5 per week and doesn't even help you learn about portion sizes or calories. It's in Slimming World's financial interest for you to keep going every week forever, not for you to learn to look after yourself independently. It's so short-sighted for midwives to recommend it. YANBU, OP.

feelinmightylow Thu 21-Sep-17 01:08:42

I don't understand how you can gain so min weight. What are you possibly eating?

feelinmightylow Thu 21-Sep-17 01:08:48

much

SheSaidHeSaid Thu 21-Sep-17 06:26:19

There's a difference between recommending a way of improving your health, and recommending a company that charges £5 per week and doesn't even help you learn about portion sizes or calories

You've obviously never been to slimming world considering all it really is is portion control and everything in moderation. E.g. a third of your plate needs to be certain types of fruit or veg.

Anyway, to the OP, maybe you have put on weight at a fast rate that could be a danger to health? As a PP has mentioned, it's the only diet/healthy living scheme that's recommended by midwives and GPs so they're trying to help you in a healthy way rather than scaring you in to crash dieting. FWIW, GPs can and do sign people up for a 12 week course free of charge so maybe they were going to offer this to you too?

Hannabee123 Thu 21-Sep-17 07:39:18

Don't care I'm not paying to go to something like that. I'm sure alot can afford to blow however much the weekly subscription is but with my maternity leave around the corner I need every penny I have. Judge me if you want I really don't care. As I said I'm not perfect

No exercise or anything has been mentioned they just ask if I've joined slimming world all the time. Having it shoved in my face is quite frankly becoming annoying.

PokemonDont Thu 21-Sep-17 09:44:32

@SheSaidHeSaid

It's not my opinion that they don't teach you about portion size effectively, it's the words of the British Dietetic Association and the NHS itself in a 2017 review on their website: www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/top-10-most-popular-diets-review.aspx#slimming-world-diet

"You choose your food from a list of low-fat foods they call "Free Foods", such as fruit, vegetables, pasta, potatoes, rice, lean meat, fish and eggs, which you can eat in unlimited amounts... Slimming World doesn't educate you about calories. Without learning about calories and portion sizes, you may struggle to keep the weight off in the long term when you come off the programme."

So I'm surprised the NHS is recommending it when they seem fully aware that it doesn't work long-term. And it's a private external company that makes a profit from overweight people, too. Madness.

Sneezeandooops Thu 21-Sep-17 15:05:21

Seem like they do op. I had this in last pregnancy, I think it is so wrong to keep going on to a hormonal woman that she is over weight and should see a dietician or join a slimming club, sure it's the making of an eating disorder. I kept saying no not interested, as I kept active with the school/ nursery run 2 sometimes 3 times a day.

SheSaidHeSaid Thu 21-Sep-17 15:22:41

True that they don't teach you about calories but my sw consultant was quite hot on portion control and making sure you don't overload your plate with bad food. I guess it depends on who runs the group. Mine was really good and both myself, my mum and friend have all kept the weight off deapite leaving years ago as we got to our target weights but, again, I guess it depends on how well your sw consultant 'taught' you.

If the NHS are offering it free of charge, as they do, I still think it's worth a shot.

shhhfastasleep Thu 21-Sep-17 15:37:50

You don’t need Slimming World to lose weight. My midwives were shit but at least they kept that to themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now