Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Waters broke at 15 weeks, managed miscarriage

(26 Posts)
KJayne Tue 19-Sep-17 19:23:34

Hi all,

Didn't think I would write about this online, but would like to see if others have experienced similar or have any advice.
I fell pregnant in June 2017, after trying for about 8 months. I had an early miscarriage at 5 weeks prior to this pregnancy.

Everything seemed to be going well - we'd have an 8 week scan (privately) and then our 12 week scan with the NHS. All appeared well - baby was growing nicely, no genetic concerns or worries relating to the pregnancy.

Upon reaching 15 weeks, during a long car journey home with my husband, my waters went. I coughed and felt something come out of me, and so we stopped at the nearest services (which we were very close to on the motorway). While my husband parked the car, I ran to the toilet. As I ran, I could feel my waters gushing out. I quickly checked in the toilet and saw that it was my waters, but no blood was there at this point. I was in a total panic - no idea what to do. I ended up ringing for an ambulance, who took me to the nearest hospital. At this point I had started to lose a lot of blood.

I was in hospital for the following 6 days, initially on the Gynae ward and then onto the maternity ward. The Doctors explained that they were not sure why my waters went, but possibly due to infection. I was given two choices early on; to continue with the pregnancy and see if my waters would replenish, or to end the pregnancy. We obviously chose to continue with the pregnancy. Little baby still had a strong heart beat, but had very little fluid around them.

During my third day in hospital I was strongly advised to terminate the pregnancy as I had developed an infection and I was not well. This was the worst news - my husband and I were not happy with this decision, but put bluntly by the doctors, the baby had zero chance of survival and my life was at risk.
The day after I had (very reluctantly) agreed to be induced, I was moved onto the maternity ward to have a pill on the Wednesday and was told that I would be induced on the Friday via pessary.

I had contractions naturally on the Thursday night, but nothing came of it. I was moved down to a delivery suite on the Friday morning and given the pessary at midday. Thankfully the labour was fairly quick, and I gave birth to our baby just before 3pm. I didn't look. I couldn't look. It would make everything extremely real and extremely painful for me to see our little baby in a bed pan. We requested photos be taken of our little one, to look at when we are ready.

My husband and I have opted to have a post mortem to determine if there was an issue with the baby. The doctors offered no explanation other than an 'infection'. They are not even sure what infection it was.

Prior to my waters going, I did sense that something was not right. When I sat down I could feel 'something' in me, which I now know were my waters possibly hanging low. Has anyone else experience this?

It's now been 2.5 weeks since the worst week of my life. I'm taking each day at a time. I cry most days. I miss being pregnant. Both my husband and I have work colleagues who were expecting within weeks of our baby's due date - I can't bring myself to think about returning yet.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm wanting to try for another baby as soon as possible, but all Doctors have said to wait until the post mortem results are back, which could take 10 weeks. I don't want to wait that long!

Any advice/shared experiences would be so welcome!

BarbaraOcumbungles Tue 19-Sep-17 19:29:04

I am sorry you've been through this sad it's awful.

Has the dr said anything about your cervix? Have you ever had any surgery on it? Letz, or cone biopsys etc?

LittleBirdBlues Tue 19-Sep-17 19:30:53

I haven't had this experience but just wanted to offer a handhold. What a painful thing to go through, I'm so sorry for your loss.flowers

Fingers crossed for you when you decide to try again

yawning801 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:33:36

flowers for you OP xxx

KJayne Tue 19-Sep-17 19:36:20

BarbaraOcumbungles I have had a previous biopsy on my cervix and have had some cells burned away. I asked the doctors before this if this could effect pregnancy and they said no. I've also wondered if this has impacted on me losing my waters?

NerNerNerNerNerNerNerNerBATMAN Tue 19-Sep-17 19:45:11

Very sorry to hear you've had such an awful experience OP flowers I hope you and your husband have good people around you to support you through this.

I offer some thoughts regarding infection. There are a number of infections that can cause spontaneous miscarriage, and hopefully the post mortem should be able to pick these up. Listeria, salmonella, rubella, toxoplasmosis, parvo B19 to name but a few.

These are rare in the UK, but they do occur. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do about them aside from being up to date with vaccinations and following the usual pregnancy advice.

Have you spoken to your midwife about screening your booking bloods? The lab will likely still have them, and the midwife would be able to tell you if you were immune to things like rubella and toxoplasmosis (amongst others). This may provide some guidance on how to approach a further pregnancy.

If it were something food based such as listeria or salmonella you would have been very poorly and it's likely this would already have been picked up.

So whilst infection is a possible cause, it is thankfully rare. There may well be another explanation for what happened which hopefully the post mortem will pick up.

In the meantime, if infection is what is playing on your mind then I'd speak to your midwife and GP. You've been through such a traumatic experience that it's important you have as much information as possible. 10 weeks is a long time to wait, and personally I'd want a medic to sit with me and go through the possible scenarios. It might help to prepare you for the results, but also to advise you with how to proceed with any future pregnancy.

Thinking of you

NerNerNerNerNerNerNerNerBATMAN Tue 19-Sep-17 19:47:08

Previous biopsy and treatment won't have been an issue. It's a very common procedure that many women have had.

YouCantCallMeBetty Tue 19-Sep-17 19:48:33

So sorry for your loss OP flowers
I had a similar experience 18 mths or so ago with a completely unexpected miscarriage at 17 weeks. Devastating and horrible. We had a PM which didn't find anything but I was told an infection had developed in the amniotic fluid (chorioamnionitis) so my body triggered labour to protect me. No cause for infection found.
I also wanted to be pregnant again straight away but it didn't happen. I am now 30 weeks pregnant though and cautiously hopeful that things are ok this time round.
Take your time and take care of each other and I hope things work out for you.

mysecret321 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:49:25

No words of advice other than I'm so sorry about your loss so sad sad

430West Tue 19-Sep-17 19:50:29

I'm so sorry for your loss, what a horrible thing to happen flowers

Having a cone biopsy on your cervix is one of the leading causes of second trimester miscarriage.

The feeling of fullness you describe is a symptom of 'funnelling' where the internal os of your cervix has opened and the membranes are bulging into the top of the vagina.

Many HCPs are poorly informed on this subject, I'm sorry that you weren't given better care.

I'm in a similar boat, and will be having a preventative stitch once I get to 12 weeks. I'd recommend pushing for this for your next pregnancy when you feel ready to try again.

430West Tue 19-Sep-17 19:51:31

Previous biopsy and treatment won't have been an issue

I'm sorry, but this statement isn't evidence-based and is a very unhelpful comment on what is such a sensitive subject.

thegirlupnorth Tue 19-Sep-17 20:15:03

OP I'm so sorry. This happened to a friend of mine, she became pregnant again after the allotted period of waiting time and she had a stitch or stitches put in her cervix (she lives in Oz). It might be worth having a chat with your Gp or doing some research around your circumstances to see if that's an option for you.

My friend has a perfectly healthy 7 yr old DD now (who was delivered at 24 weeks weighing less than a pound) so please don't give up hope.

PurplePickledPlums Tue 19-Sep-17 20:16:55

When you're ready I'd ask about cervical cerclage if you're going to try again. I'd also ask for cervical measurement scans weekly to keep an eye on it. I'm so sorry for your loss. flowers

NerNerNerNerNerNerNerNerBATMAN Tue 19-Sep-17 20:22:48

Apologies if I've got the info wrong re cervix. I'm a HCP and I've never come across it as being an issue. Sorry if I've caused upset.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 19-Sep-17 20:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarbaraOcumbungles Tue 19-Sep-17 20:34:59

previous biopsy and treatment won't have been an issue. It's a very common procedure that many women have had.

Tell that to the my consultant who dealt with my 7th miscarriage, 4th premature membrane rupture and out in a trans abdominal stitch because my cervix is non existent after letz procedures.

It is widely recognised that treatment on the cervix can weaken the cervix.

MerryInthechelseahotel Tue 19-Sep-17 20:52:53

I lost my baby to group b streptococcus infection at 20 weeks. I feel for you and offer my sympathy 💐 the feelings of sadness, disappointment and emptiness are overwhelming. My baby would have had his 19th birthday the other day but I can in an instant remember those feelings like it was yesterday. I hope you have support and I understand your feelings of wanting to be pregnant again very soon xx

trevthecat Tue 19-Sep-17 20:57:23

I have no experience with this but just wanted to offer my deepest sympathies. An awful situation for you and dh x

430West Tue 19-Sep-17 20:58:05

It not only weakens the mechanical structures of the cervix, but also a short cervix means there is less depth of mucus plug to protect the pregnancy from infection.

JaneEyre70 Tue 19-Sep-17 21:00:39

I lost my darling little boy at 26 weeks, and we had a post mortem. It was inconclusive, and tests on the placenta/bloods etc all came back normal. There seemingly was "no reason" and that really was a headfuck to be honest as I just couldn't accept it. As time has gone on, I realise that something must have been very wrong, and I just will never know that answer. It's not easy to accept, but I went on to have 2 successful pregnancies and 2 very lovely and much wanted DDs. I'd try not to get too fixated on finding the answer, there may not be one but I would wait to get the results back before trying again just in case. Ours all came back fairly quickly, and we met the consultant around 5 -6 weeks after our baby had been born. It's very good to grieve and let it out, acknowledge it. Try talking to SANDS, they were very helpful to me. I'm really sorry for your loss flowers.

BarbaraOcumbungles Tue 19-Sep-17 21:21:29

I'm sorry Jane sad

f1sher Tue 19-Sep-17 21:24:03

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. Thinking of you xx flowers

EEandEmakes3 Tue 19-Sep-17 21:26:14

No experience of this but wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you get the answers you need flowers

MrsPear Tue 19-Sep-17 21:35:09

Firstly I am so very sorry for your loss flowers
Secondly ask for a review of pregnancy and loss. They may not have definable answers.
Thirdly if you and your partner ever wish to try again. I would suggest asking for consultant led path way - my trust would with previous second trimester loss. If no answers from pm then maybe you will need cervical measurement checks especially as felt fullness. This can tell how long it is. Mine was half what it should be at 14 weeks which led to a stitch at 17 weeks. This procedure is not without risk but as a wise GP said if it goes wrong you can say you tried but if you don't and it goes wrong you are left with what if.

Above all give yourself and your partner time to grieve. I am so very sorry.

DeadDoorpost Tue 19-Sep-17 22:58:06

No personal experience but my Step mum had a miscarriage of a twin at 18 weeks. She didn't realise there were twins so while she was sad about the one, she was glad about still having the other.
Sadly they never found out why one didn't survive and I know for them it was traumatic as she saw the baby as they were 45 minutes away from the nearest hospital so i can completely understand you wanting the photos and waiting until you're ready. Hopefully you'll get some answers and good luck in the future.
flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: